• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I believe that the Hanks book may now be available at your local comics store.

-Paul

Paul,

Amazing that your book is finally here. A full five years ago, I read a Hanks story for the first time (the Stardust story in Fantastic Comics #2) and I couldn't believe my eyes. His work was so funny, bizarre, and unique, and I knew I wanted more....started to collect it without knowing anything about him, including even his real name!

Too cool that his work is now compiled and accessible with just a short stroll to the local comic shop...and in fact I plan to take that stroll right after work.

Thanks again. thumbsup2.gif

--Jon

Paul,

Just finished reading "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks" from your book. I gotta say it was pretty amazing and very touching. Not what I was expecting at all. Since I don't want to give anything away, I will say only that the book is beautifully packaged (the usual high quality Fantagraphics spoils us with), the reproductions are awesome, and your afterword was well done and moving. Everyone head out to your LCS and get it, or demand that they order it for you.

Thanks,

Richard

C'mon spill the beans.

What happened? popcorn.gif

Here's the full story....

UPS delivered the package.

The package was opened.

The books were put on the shelves.

Many people bought the books.

Before they were all gone I snagged a copy.

I opened the book.

I read the book.

I closed the book.

I wept with joy.

I posted.

Full story, and I'm sticking to it.

Paul,

Just finished reading "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks" from your book. I gotta say it was pretty amazing and very touching. Not what I was expecting at all. Since I don't want to give anything away, I will say only that the book is beautifully packaged (the usual high quality Fantagraphics spoils us with), the reproductions are awesome, and your afterword was well done and moving. Everyone head out to your LCS and get it, or demand that they order it for you.

Thanks,

Richard

C'mon spill the beans.

What happened? popcorn.gif

The package was opened.

I opened the book.

I read the book.

I closed the book.

I wept with joy.

I posted.

Give it up man, who was Rosebud??!!

The package was opened.

I opened the book.

I read the book.

I closed the book.

I wept with joy.

I posted.

So basically you've just given away the entire plot.

I guess there's not much reason to read the book anymore. tongue.gif

Please, no beans spilt here....frankly, there really are not that many beans to spill.

I literally spent years on that story and it's minimal pleasures might be sabotaged by bean-spilling.

Thanks for the kind words, Richard.

-Paul

I was kidding, just in case it wasn't obvious. poke2.gif

I'm looking forward to reading the book. It's on my birthday wish list. flowerred.gif

Please, no beans spilt here....frankly, there really are not that many beans to spill.

I literally spent years on that story and it's minimal pleasures might be sabotaged by bean-spilling.

Thanks for the kind words, Richard.

-Paul

I hope it does well enough that you get to do some bean counting.

Hi guys,

I am still trying to put together the Hanks checklist and I need verification that Hanks stories appear in Jungle #11, 12, 14. I also am looking for copies of the Big Red McLane stories from Fight #3-9.

Can anybody help by posting a page from any one of these stories?

Thanks,

-Paul

Hi there Paul...here's a page of the Hanks Fantomah story from Jungle #12, so check that one off for sure...

1823791-jungle12hanks.jpg

(And I'm actually waiting on a reading copy of Jungle #14...should have it in a week or two. If there's NOT a Hanks story in it, I'll be one sad puppy!)

Hey Paul,

Just wanted to say my Hanks book just arrived, and after a quick flip through, it is a beautiful volume. Can't wait to relax and read it. Thanks again for putting this amazing collection together. The reproductions do not disappoint!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

I just called my LCS, and the owner reports the book has already sold out his initial order. He then went on to rave about how good it is. When I told him that I had some of the original comics w/Hanks stories, I could sense his 893whatthe.gif over the phone!

Sounds like you're off to a good start with the book, Paul....

STEVE

Hi guys,

I am still trying to put together the Hanks checklist and I need verification that Hanks stories appear in Jungle #11, 12, 14. I also am looking for copies of the Big Red McLane stories from Fight #3-9.

Can anybody help by posting a page from any one of these stories?

Here's the splash page from the Big Red story in Fight # 6.

FightComics6.jpg

Hi guys,

There is an interview with me about Fletcher Hanks over at:

www.comicsreporter.com

If you don't see it, look in the archives bar on the right side.

I will be speaking about Hanks at the MoCCA festival on Saturday, June 23,2007 at 10 AM at the MoCCA Gallery, 594 Broadway. Drop by and introduce yourselves!