• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Was this local bad distribution? Does this explain why Fox folded in early 1942?

Inquring minds want to know.....jon

I can hear it now, the Fox execs cursing Church for not buying titles for 3 months in a row...

:)

gator

JB, do you have the entire church run?

gator

Yes except there is no 21-23.

As you will see there is a time warp for some Church books in this time period....

first, WOW...., second, any explaination why church would be missing those months' books?

rick

Guess and it is only a guess, i think it may for poor distribution......it is for the Fox titles and even some other companies.....i remember trying to figure it out from Chuck's list at one time.....Also remember that some of the Church books are "double slash" (remainders) that he picked up to fill in some gaps of his runs....Jon

Actually, most of the Fox books were bought by Burrel Rowe. Burrel eventually sold his store Camelot to his manager Willie Patterson in 81-82. The Fox books were somehow involved in that. Willie ended up with them at any rate. A couple of years later Willie took on a partner named Harold Starbuck to sell his collection as he was opening a pet store. Harold started advertising in the CBG and the Fox were sold through these ads individually AND NEVER ADVERTISED AS MILE HIGHS. Obviously the desirable ones sold first. But at that time the later Mysterymen and Wonderworlds were not huge sellers. Before they were all sold Harold's house flooded, as houses do in Houston from time to time. The Fox books that were still unsold were destroyed. I don't know the total number but I do see Harold from time to time and I might be able to find out.

gator

As you will see there is a time warp for some Church books in this time period....

first, WOW...., second, any explaination why church would be missing those months' books?

rick

Guess and it is only a guess, i think it may for poor distribution......it is for the Fox titles and even some other companies.....i remember trying to figure it out from Chuck's list at one time.....Also remember that some of the Church books are "double slash" (remainders) that he picked up to fill in some gaps of his runs....Jon

Actually, most of the Fox books were bought by Burrel Rowe. Burrel eventually sold his store Camelot to his manager Willie Patterson in 81-82. The Fox books were somehow involved in that. Willie ended up with them at any rate. A couple of years later Willie took on a partner named Harold Starbuck to sell his collection as he was opening a pet store. Harold started advertising in the CBG and the Fox were sold through these ads individually AND NEVER ADVERTISED AS MILE HIGHS. Obviously the desirable ones sold first. But at that time the later Mysterymen and Wonderworlds were not huge sellers. Before they were all sold Harold's house flooded, as houses do in Houston from time to time. The Fox books that were still unsold were destroyed. I don't know the total number but I do see Harold from time to time and I might be able to find out.

Rich, the above imformation is derived NOT from what I have per se (obviously I can't have what does not exist), but from Chuck's MH list. I know some were culled out/sold before "The Ad". So this info is from the List. Too much of coincidence as to the dates. Jon

gator

Found my old notes that I made

Gaps in Church Fox books

Fantastic 17, 18, 19 (April, May, June 1941)

Mystery Men 21, 22, 23 (April, May, June 1941)

Wonderworld 23, 24 (March, April 1941)

Flame 3, 4, 5, 7 ((Winter, Feb/Mar, June, Oct 1941)

Big 3 2, 3, 4 (Mar, May, July 1941)

Wierd 11, 13, 14, 15 (Feb, April, May, June 1941)

Green Mask 4 (Spring 1941) 5?

Samson 4, 5 (April, July 1941)

I think there are no Action 24-26, 33 and 35?

Was this local bad distribution? Does this explain why Fox folded in early 1942?

Inquring minds want to know.....jon

All of those Action MH's exist, I had many of them.

West

gator

rick

Rich, the above imformation is derived NOT from what I have per se (obviously I can't have what does not exist), but from Chuck's MH list. I know some were culled out/sold before "The Ad". So this info is from the List. Too much of coincidence as to the dates. Jon

I definitely agree. The same months in each and every run makes the distribution idea the most plausible.

Also, from what I remember, mostly later Wonderworlds were affected in Harold's flood. I think I remember you telling me you were missing some of those.

gator

rick

I definitely agree. The same months in each and every run makes the distribution idea the most plausible.

Also, from what I remember, mostly later Wonderworlds were affected in Harold's flood. I think I remember you telling me you were missing some of those.

rich- only missing those WWs indicated above (one filled the San Francisco)....HOWEVER the WW run from 3-33 was broken up and picked them up from people like PCEI to Steve F. However, I do not have the WW 29 (have a larson) so that may be one you are referring to...jon

gator

rick

rich- only missing those WWs indicated above (one filled in with the larson, one other with the San Francisco....HOWEVER the WW run from 3-33 was broken up and picked them up from people like PCEI to Steve F.

Really? Well that goes to show that old stories can be just that...stories. I had been told of "the flood" by a couple of people including Harold and another guy who bought a big chunk of the Fox books. If you have pieced them all back together other than the issues from those months then that story was obviously fabricated someone.

BTW, thanks for posting the Mystery Men run. I think the #10 is one of the greatest books on the planet!

Church 2 (I love this cover)

Me too. It doesn't look like Lou Fine's work but it's quite a striking image.

Church 2 (I love this cover)

Me too. It doesn't look like Lou Fine's work but it's quite a striking image.

It is not Lou Fine, it is Edd Ashe who did a number of covers for Fox after Joe Simon left Fox. He also did covers for MLJ.

jb