• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,175 posts in this topic

Thanks Jon, hope to find a #3 as nice someday, but I'd settle for one that simply presents well.

Hey Ray,

Beauty #4!! I agree w/ Point Five, its got to be the toughest, esp. in that grade!

#3 will be a breeze ... at one point there were three nice ones available from different sources ... I think Superworld had one. Its also a great issue ...

"I'm dreeeaming of a Weird Christmas...."

So I spent the first half of this year resisting the urge to collect the Weird Comics run....and the second half of the year collecting the Weird Comics run. (I think the lovely #3 I got from Ryan in July may have tipped the scales!) hm

It's been a really fun title to collect.... :banana: ...and not as easy as you might think.

Here come some recent pickups. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks to Silveracre Comics in England for this book and the others to follow. All of the books have some degree of minor professional resto (seems like an odd choice of books to restore, doesn't it?), but really nice paper quality and eye appeal.

Weird Comics #8, 11/40.---Tail end of the Joe Simon era of Fox. I can't quite decide if that's supposed to be a bridge or a roller coaster on the cover. Love those colors!

49411-weird8sm.jpg

Weird Comics #12, 3/41.--There's something I just love about these mid-run Weird covers. They are all pretty much the same, extremely simple "Dart and Ace" compositions with bright flat backgrounds, but the colors scream and they are so purely dumb and cheerful. You can imagine this book holding its own next to a Superman #6 or #9 on the newsstand. Interior art starting to slide by this time (most of the Eisner/Iger artists had left), but still a couple of worthwhile artists and stories.

49428-weird12sm.jpg

Here's the splash page from the Sorceress of Zoom story in #12. Even in a Fox book, it's not every splash page that features a woman whipping a half-naked man and then stabbing him through the chest... :whistle:

50201-weird12p1.jpg.8cd86035d7e87f7c047022d39d51cd2c.jpg

Nice pickups, Jon. :applause:

I never really noticed before, the kid's (Ace) weapon of choice is a baseball bat? hm

Thanks, BZ!

I think Ace's weapon is called a "club" in the text, but, well, yep! It's a bat.

The gaps in logic in the Dart and Ace stories are just hilarious even by the rather relaxed standards of early GA. (Example: gangsters in a car are about to plow right into the Dart...he quickly uses his sword to "cut" an enormous hole in the road just in time....the car falls in....) :eek:

Here are two pages from the Eagle story in #12. I quite like the artist who did these....he worked for Fox throughout 1941 and had a very distinctive style. Does anyone know who this is?

The Eagle stories had a very entertaining storyline running through #12-16 (?) with these two villains, The Beast and The Gimp, competing for various secret formulas and riches. (The Gimp was never too tough to defeat, as is shown here....)

50202-weird12p2.jpg.e17bacbdf2bc14cbca6c865fd7a97996.jpg

50203-weird12p3.jpg.bf10e041a0a3466c4b661c4ba2644656.jpg

Here are two pages from the Eagle story in #12. I quite like the artist who did these....he worked for Fox throughout 1941 and had a very distinctive style. Does anyone know who this is?

The Eagle stories had a very entertaining storyline running through #12-16 (?) with these two villains, The Beast and The Gimp, competing for various secret formulas and riches. (The Gimp was never too tough to defeat, as is shown here....)

50202-weird12p2.jpg

Omigosh. It's Eye-gor!

"I heard the strangest music from the upstairs kitchen and I just... followed it down. Call it... a hunch."

Jack