• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Here are two pages from the Eagle story in #12. I quite like the artist who did these....he worked for Fox throughout 1941 and had a very distinctive style. Does anyone know who this is?

The Eagle stories had a very entertaining storyline running through #12-16 (?) with these two villains, The Beast and The Gimp, competing for various secret formulas and riches. (The Gimp was never too tough to defeat, as is shown here....)

WOW, those are too freakin' funny, P5!! lol I really like that style!!! I love it when the stories were just over the top. Can it get better than the Beast and the Gimp?? Maybe the Cripple?

Congrats on your WEIRD's ... that looks like a fun run to collect. Not easy, but fun!

Here are two pages from the Eagle story in #12. I quite like the artist who did these....he worked for Fox throughout 1941 and had a very distinctive style. Does anyone know who this is?

The Eagle stories had a very entertaining storyline running through #12-16 (?) with these two villains, The Beast and The Gimp, competing for various secret formulas and riches. (The Gimp was never too tough to defeat, as is shown here....)

50202-weird12p2.jpg

Omigosh. It's Eye-gor!

"I heard the strangest music from the upstairs kitchen and I just... followed it down. Call it... a hunch."

Jack

Thank you Gene Wilder....

50201-weird12p1.jpg

"The Sorceress of Zoom" --

flashing on memories of the old days, BZ?

Jack

My ex had a terrible temper, as you can see, and it was impossible to hang on to good help. (shrug)

The Royal Scribe, Sandra Swift, however...well, she was a sweetheart. :luhv:

:jokealert:

Onward...

Weird Comics #17, 8/41.--Unless your last name is Berk (or Zoom), I doubt you have seen this cover often. The last few books in the Fox runs are usually tough, and the Weird run is no exception. This is literally the only copy I've ever seen for sale, and I'm very pleased to have picked it up!

Great anti-Nazi cover and stories, several months before Pearl Harbor.

49708-weird17sm.jpg

Onward...

Weird Comics #17, 8/41.--Unless your last name is Berk (or Zoom), I doubt you have seen this cover often. The last few books in the Fox runs are usually tough, and the Weird run is no exception. This is literally the only copy I've ever seen for sale, and I'm very pleased to have picked it up!

49708-weird17sm.jpg

Very cool book, and rarely seen. To illustrate the point, the More Fun Collection, which was fairly complete on Fox only had the following Weird issues:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 15, 16, 19.

Very cool book, and rarely seen. To illustrate the point, the More Fun Collection, which was fairly complete on Fox only had the following Weird issues:

Thanks, Bill! (thumbs u

And that's as good a segue as I'll ever get for this tough book:

49709-weird19sm.jpg

Onward...

49708-weird17sm.jpg

:applause:

Onward...

and i snagged 2,4,5, 8,11 and 19....thanks Bill!!!!

Onward...

so nice to see old relationships rekindled!

Onward...

Great stuff!

#11 is the only one missing from the GCD gallery. If you post it, I'll be glad to size and upload it.

(If you already posted it, I missed it. Let me know where to look.)

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks to Silveracre Comics in England for this book and the others to follow. All of the books have some degree of minor professional resto (seems like an odd choice of books to restore, doesn't it?), but really nice paper quality and eye appeal.

Weird Comics #8, 11/40.---Tail end of the Joe Simon era of Fox. I can't quite decide if that's supposed to be a bridge or a roller coaster on the cover. Love those colors!

49411-weird8sm.jpg

Rollercoaster

Onward...

Great stuff!

#11 is the only one missing from the GCD gallery. If you post it, I'll be glad to size and upload it.

Thanks,

Jack

no problem....

50213-weird11.jpg.0b34f87bb1cf8237702ea7fe860f0278.jpg

A very simple cover but, given the color scheme, also a very appealing one. There was definitely life in these Fox's even after Lou Fine moved on.

Thanks,

Jack

no problem....

Thanks! Classic gallery completed at GCD.

Unusual background color, but it looks great with the yellow costumes and logo.

Any idea who drew it? Louis Cazeneuve and Don Rico have interior art credits at GCD.

Jack

Onward...

And I was very pleased they went to such a good home Jon. :cloud9: