• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Yes it is...

mm9.jpg

Huh. I've never seen that copy of Mystery Men 9 before! Perhaps there has been significant color touch, pieces added to cover, heroes replaced, baddies exchanged, banners modified, all of which escaped the CGC graders...

35 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:
44 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Yes it is...

mm9.jpg

Huh. I've never seen that copy of Mystery Men 9 before! Perhaps there has been significant color touch, pieces added to cover, heroes replaced, baddies exchanged, banners modified, all of which escaped the CGC graders...

Richard;

Yes, it clearly looks like you are still working with the hubby and wife team at IGB Recreations here.  :baiting:  lol

On 10/1/2017 at 11:27 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Well, it's been all of 5 days since this thread has seen action. :whatthe:

Here's a fairly recent purchase, with nice colors, and crazy amphibioid translucent aliens by Lou Fine. Unfortunately, there's some staining along the edges. Fortunately, it kept the price within my reach!  :smile:

Maybe one of those clever chaps at CCS can ply their magicks on the stains... Any thoughts?

0HDdZbZ.jpg  

You can bring it by the CGC booth at NYCC and see if Matt or someone would venture an opinion.  Some of the dirt might be removable with a dry clean.  That could improve the appearance, although probably not the grade. 

In any event, it's a great book!

Was reading the Scoop Newsletter from last Friday and noticed that a CGC 8.0 copy of Wonderworld 6 sold for $5,700.  :whatthe:

Was wondering if anybody here has a link to that book as I wouldn't mind taking a look at it as that sure seems like a pretty strong price for that book in that grade. 

47 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

You can bring it by the CGC booth at NYCC and see if Matt or someone would venture an opinion.  Some of the dirt might be removable with a dry clean.  That could improve the appearance, although probably not the grade. 

In any event, it's a great book!

Thanks Sqeggs! Or maybe the book just needs my "ring around the collar cover" Wisk liquid detergent treatment! :idea:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Was reading the Scoop Newsletter from last Friday and noticed that a CGC 8.0 copy of Wonderworld 6 sold for $5,700.  :whatthe:

Was wondering if anybody here has a link to that book as I wouldn't mind taking a look at it as that sure seems like a pretty strong price for that book in that grade. 

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?id=1189994

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

43 minutes ago, TheWatcher said:

White pages. One of top 2 graded. Price kinda makes sense in that context, and in this current era... Though the added pencil work coming off the lady's hair -- looking like some decorative bird coil headgear -- is a distraction.

Work has kept me very busy over the summer but seeing the Fox topic back onto the front page has reminded me that I intended to post the full run of Weird Comic that I completed with some wins in the Berk auction. When I started on the path of collecting the Fox runs I didnt really think it was going to be so hard, some of the books come up fairly often compared to other publishers, not as tough as Centaur but enough to make it a serious challenge, it seems like I always have a Fox book to show in the "Less than 10 Copies" thread. One thing that will become obvious as I get into the middle of the run, most of the Fox titles that had a decent output suffer from a high degree of sameness in the middle issues, probably the biggest culprit is Fantastic with the repetetive Samson covers but for Weird, Dart and Ace dont get into much of a variety of poses. For all the titles the end of the run is where things get really wacky. You can pretty much see the early evolution of the hobby in the covers starting with an unmistakable pulp influence, quite obvious here on issue number 1...

img140.jpg

Edited by lpsunburst

Issue 3 was one of the very first I picked up many years ago, I believe it came from a Heritage Sunday auction and was rather cheap at the time. Again, very much a pulp influenced cover but distinguishing itself on the newstand with a yellow background as opposed to the very dark noir pulps of the time.

img141.jpg

So now with issue 6 Victor Fox made the move to super heroes with the introduction of the Dart, not quite as snazzy as Blue Bettle or The Flame but someone has to be second string. An interesting thing about this issue is that it looks like his sidekick Ace Barlow was an afterthought, Robin had only been introduced in Dectective 38 5 months earlier and kid sidekicks were catching on so I am pretty sure Victor had Ace added to the cover at the last minute.

wei6.90a.jpg