• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2022 at 11:16 AM, Straw-Man said:

all this rare issue m. men posting has me wanting to trot out the whole lou/joe run.

"Waking up in the morning has me wanting to trot out the whole lou/joe run." is probably an equally valid statement.

On 3/2/2022 at 9:46 AM, adamstrange said:

Allentown Mystery Men 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 (not my books).

For good measure, Wonderworld 7 Allentown

Wonderful Fox Allentowns.jpg

Ahhhhh.............the all-time classic group photo that really can't be beat and which I really need to save somewhere on my computer here. :applause: :cloud9:

Is that Mystery Men 2 robot cover also an Allentown copy of is it from another pedigree such as the Larson since I heard those were also really cherry nice?  If it's the Allentown copy, I imagine it it should be pretty pristine since from the Master Allentown Collection List, Payette had graded the MM 2 as a NM/M condition copy.  Especially since we all know how tough his grading generally tends to be in comparison to CGC's grading, as evident from the graded Allentown examples we have seen so far to date.  hm   :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/26/2022 at 8:30 PM, Straw-Man said:

and let me tell you that this one ain't a picnic, either.   years and years of upgrade-searching, to no avail.

mmen8.jpg

Having seen both the Allentown and Church runs of Lou Fine covers (Mystery Men, Hit, National, etc) this is one of my favorite Fine covers. 

The eye-catching color scheme with the red background, the powerful figure of the Blue Beetle, the detailed scarab images in the belt buckle and on wall, the lassoed lass, and the evil henchmen make for a mesmerizing experience.  Both the Church copy and the Allentown (not graded) are eye-popping gorgeous.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:07 PM, lou_fine said:

Is that Mystery Men 2 robot cover also an Allentown copy of is it from another pedigree? 

Not the Allentown.  IIRC, it came from an original owner find from the Northeast. 

I don't recall whether the other WWs were pedigrees.  The WW 8 is definitely not the Allentown.