• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,236 posts in this topic

On 8/13/2024 at 9:42 PM, Spyder! said:

What a wonderful book! 

Thanks. I came late to the Golden Age ball. About 6 years ago but that's late so I never got so much of the early stuff I l now love. MM 2 I think is one of Fine's finest. My favorite of the series. Used to be #3 followed by #2 but someone called 3 "an effeminate fashion model cover" or something like that and that statement kind of put #2 over the top for me. Who was that? 

On 8/13/2024 at 9:45 PM, RedGiant said:

Indeed. I still have some regret not buying. Congrats @Professor K but Jared, I still have your old copy😃

Thanks, glad you have one. 

On 8/13/2024 at 9:58 PM, Spyder! said:

Good! It presents great. Here is my current copy.

mm02.jpeg

Look at that. That does not look like a 2.5 by far. Bright, clean, no stains. White Whites. Never really thought about it until now but CGC seems a little harsh on Fox books. I've seen a good amount of lower grade copies that look pretty darn nice. Btw do you have a Planet 2? My Fav Planet. It's all about the colors with me I guess.  

Edited by Professor K
spelling correction

On 8/13/2024 at 9:12 PM, Professor K said:

Thanks. I came late to the Golden Age ball. About 6 years ago but that's late so I never got so much of the early stuff I l now love. MM 2 I think is one of Fine's finest. My favorite of the series. Used to be #3 followed by #2 but someone called 3 "an effeminate fashion model cover" or something like that and that statement kind of put #2 over the top for me. Who was that? 

Thanks, glad you have one. 

Look at that. That does not look like a 2.5 by far. Bright, clean, no stains. White Whites. Never really thought about it until now but CGC seems a little harsh on Fox books. I've seen a good amount of lower grade copies that look pretty darn nice. Btw do you have a Planet 2? My Fav Planet. It's all about the colors with me I guess.  

I do have a copy of Planet 2. Such a wonderfully weird cover.

On 8/14/2024 at 8:09 AM, Straw-Man said:

it is indeed a great book.

mmen2.jpg

I had to return to say wow.

Wow. 

7.5 is 3rd highest graded. Good luck to anyone except for those here with the two higher copies on finding a nicer copy, cause it ain't ga happen. 

On 8/14/2024 at 2:49 PM, Spyder! said:

I do have a copy of Planet 2. Such a wonderfully weird cover.

Oh good, I figured. What do you think of the cover? Fine? Eisner? Both of them?  That's a question for anyone. To me Planet 2 looks more like Lou Fine. 

Edited by Professor K

On 8/16/2024 at 11:03 PM, Microbia said:

Don’t have too many early Fox’s but here’s one of my PC favorites. Didn’t Simon do the cover, yet it’s still uncredited? 

IMG_9873.jpeg

Nice copy! Looks very much lke JS to me. I don't know why CGC doesn't name him. He may not have been credited in the comic itself. 

On 8/16/2024 at 11:03 PM, Microbia said:

Don’t have too many early Fox’s but here’s one of my PC favorites. Didn’t Simon do the cover, yet it’s still uncredited? 

IMG_9873.jpeg

Strangely reminiscent to Marvel Mystery 12 which I like to give at least full penciling credit to Kirby for. Gold statue thing, mysterious mask, and other similarities. Bricks, fire, green creatures. No skulls on MM12 , that's a shame. 

1940-10 Marvel Mystery Comics 12 Cosmic Aeroplane Pedigree.jpg

On 8/17/2024 at 2:51 PM, Professor K said:

Strangely reminiscent to Marvel Mystery 12 which I like to give at least full penciling credit to Kirby for. Gold statue thing, mysterious mask, and other similarities. Bricks, fire, green creatures. No skulls on MM12 , that's a shame. 

1940-10 Marvel Mystery Comics 12 Cosmic Aeroplane Pedigree.jpg

That's pretty cool ... and I never really connected those dots before! Good eye!  (thumbsu

@sagii sorry you missed it brother it’s one of the books i had a commission done several years ago it’s such a shockingly strange and rare book. I think the fact that it presents so nicely for a 1.0 is part of the reason it went so high too i mean honestly if you removed the number up in the top left that could easily be mistaken for a higher technical grade. Still only 13 copies on the cgc census which is very tough. I too remember having an opportunity for a gorgeous privately sold 5.0 and at quite a bit less than what this hammered for. oh what could have been haha!! Rare gold is alive and thriving at least for now even in the lower grades.

@sagii sorry you missed it brother it’s one of the books i had a commission done several years ago it’s such a shockingly strange and rare book. I think the fact that it presents so nicely for a 1.0 is part of the reason it went so high too i mean honestly if you removed the number up in the top left that could easily be mistaken for a higher technical grade. Still only 13 copies on the cgc census which is very tough. I too remember having an opportunity for a gorgeous privately sold 5.0 and at quite a bit less than what this hammered for. oh what could have been haha!! Rare gold is alive and thriving at least for now even in the lower grades.

IMG_6308.jpeg

On 8/19/2024 at 6:26 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

I am still very happy i was able to upgrade this other Fox cover with Dictator on it. Also a firing squad bondage cover as noted by heritage. Also presents very nicely for the grade with wonderful OW-White PQ and the colors are awesome:) tough book with still only 18 on the census

bookscans-2023-10-25083.jpeg

A Fox classic for sure there Gino. :applause: One of many rarities in your stash! Great recreation art, wonderfully weird work. 

And only 13 copies on the census?!?! Wonder what the 5.0 would get now?

@kent allard yes, looks like zerox covered cover less copy is the route here (: