• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2023 at 10:56 AM, Spyder! said:

Agree that MM8 > MM7.

Are you talking about artistic wise which I would agree with or valuation wise which I would clearly disagree with?  hm

On 9/29/2023 at 10:56 AM, Spyder! said:

I wonder if a nice mid grade MM10 would outperform both though? 

Now, now, now....................pretty soon we'll have every Tom, Dicck, and Harry outperforming MM 3 before you know it.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/29/2023 at 3:09 PM, Professor K said:

You are my inspiration Mr. B. I've said it before that when I saw your copy I just had to get me one too. 

1940-5 Mystery Men 10.jpg

Such a great book! :cloud9:

Speaking of Joe Simon's few covers he did for Fox before he moved on to greener pastures, I wonder why there is not even one ultra high grade graded copy of Science 4 (at least no graded by CGC)

No Church copy unless that 8.0 somewhere out there is it. All of his Fox covers from May, June, July 1940 have at least one copy 9.0 or better, but not Science 4 or 5. I'd like to think there is one out there........somewhere.

Opera Snapshot_2023-09-29_204047_gocollect.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2023-09-29_203947_gocollect.com.png

On 9/29/2023 at 11:26 AM, Spyder! said:

Obviously there are those who love it, the price is evidence of that, I just mean the artwork itself isn’t great on the cover 2c

I would be one of those people I just adore the cover and not just because Adolf is getting his clock socked although that is darn awesome. The color scheme is awesome imo. The art tells a story. I love the Dock scheme it just looks like a place some criminal mischief would happen. And it’s not Hitler or Winston that draw people in its BIG BEN in the background the art even lets you know where you are without spelling it out. The capes of our heroes coming down through the Title is awesome. The cover is so cool in so many ways imo. Wish i could have afforded to upgrade. Well i could afford it I suppose just not justify it hahaha!! 

7571D9C8-38B9-43BC-9329-02580052D9A8.jpeg

On 9/29/2023 at 4:02 PM, lou_fine said:

Now, some of these later Wonderworld's are truly real toughies to find in any condition, let alone in high grade.  :luhv:  :takeit:

agreed!! and may I add yet another heavy Fox Featured auction with almost every issue except…you guessed it….Wonderworld 31 and since Heritage has never sold a single copy I will share my rag 🥰

EBDB2D46-0C1A-4ED9-B7DD-D7E07E03A874.jpeg

On 9/29/2023 at 11:13 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

I would be one of those people I just adore the cover and not just because Adolf is getting his clock socked although that is darn awesome. The color scheme is awesome imo. The art tells a story. I love the Dock scheme it just looks like a place some criminal mischief would happen. And it’s not Hitler or Winston that draw people in its BIG BEN in the background the art even lets you know where you are without spelling it out. The capes of our heroes coming down through the Title is awesome. The cover is so cool in so many ways imo. Wish i could have afforded to upgrade. Well i could afford it I suppose just not justify it hahaha!! 

The only real knock I have with the cover is too many blurbs, but it's still a very appealing image from Patenude for all the reasons you gave.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:44 PM, Point Five said:

This was the restored CGC 4.5 from the chart above, long since liberated. I think this was the first book I bought from HA, way back in 2007.

science4.jpg.a16915889775a62a6d686b07eb389d89.jpg

You simply must tell me how you make such awesome scans. Seriously I was just looking at that sale and book a few hours ago thinking "Gee that person got a great deal". Glad it was you. Now I'm thinking "so much for hoping that one comes around again". I'm sure you know the Purple 3.5 is a trimmed extensive and the Purple 1.5....well it's a Purple 1.5. 

On 9/29/2023 at 11:13 PM, gino2paulus2 said:

7571D9C8-38B9-43BC-9329-02580052D9A8.jpeg

Really cool Gino. What are we looking at here exactly? Not the 2.5 but the other two pieces? 

On 9/29/2023 at 10:06 PM, Professor K said:

Alright! How nice is that for the grade? 1.0? 1.No. Looks like a 2.0 to 3.0. (thumbsu

I was quite happy to win it as I have been after the Science 1-4 run for the past couple of years and this was the last one I needed!

On 9/29/2023 at 10:45 AM, RareHighGrade said:

IMO, due to its relative rarity, a MM #7 in mid-grade or better is likely worth more than a MM #2 in equivilant grade.

Although I would tend to agree with your assessment here, the only problem with this scenario is that according to the CGC Census Population Report, there are NO certified mid-grade copies to this point in time there is only the Church CGC 8.0 graded copy and then the next highest graded copy drops all the way down to CGC 4.0 with no true mid-grade copies in between.  :whatthe:  :frown:

Of course, there's the Larson copy which is probably still raw, but according to Joe Tricarichi in his Larson List, the MM 7 has a clipped coupon out of the back cover measueing 4" by 3" along with a 3/4" tear at the spine which combined would take it out of mid-grade range.  Then there's the Allentown copy which was graded only as a Fine+ copy by Payette, but Payette's reputation for tight grading is well known.  This is clearly evident by his Allentown VF Tec 38 being graded as a CGC 9.4 and his Allentown VF+ MM 13 being graded as CGC 9.6, so it would not surprise me if the Allentown F+ copy of MM 7 got much closer to the VF condition range whenever it gets graded and slabbed.  hm  :taptaptap:

On 9/29/2023 at 10:45 AM, RareHighGrade said:

I agree with you that the cover of MM #7 is underwhelming and that #8's cover is better.

Yes, a complete contrast to MM 3 with its cover artwork which is talked about quite often by some boardies here as to its artsistic merit.  (thumbsu

I would tend to say that the cover image for MM 3 is "artistic motion" in full display while the cover image for MM 7 is more like "artistic stillness" in full display.  lol

On 9/30/2023 at 12:56 AM, Professor K said:

You simply must tell me how you make such awesome scans. Seriously I was just looking at that sale and book a few hours ago thinking "Gee that person got a great deal". Glad it was you. Now I'm thinking "so much for hoping that one comes around again". I'm sure you know the Purple 3.5 is a trimmed extensive and the Purple 1.5....well it's a Purple 1.5. 

Really cool Gino. What are we looking at here exactly? Not the 2.5 but the other two pieces? 

Thanks brother!! The raw copy is complete just coverless someone had drew a cover and attached it. The framed piece is a commission i had done several years ago and now hangs in the basement next to a commission of Our Flag 5 and Amazing-Man 22!! 

A sample of a couple of my Fox dupes being auctioned at heritage this weekend, end Sunday 10/29.  If anyone is looking for these great Lou Fine books. 

side note: I don’t believe either of these were cleaned/pressed (if that matters to you). 
618BEE34-264B-4639-81F7-8DA1DFE9569C.thumb.jpeg.60640b6c16e53b491ff2f8cdd49922a6.jpeg

0C8EE0FE-BA3D-4742-AB35-1D2993E2141F.thumb.jpeg.b0c41ee9bd0fbeb584832750e76e5d36.jpeg

Edited by RedGiant