• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Civil War Art - Speculation and Spoiler Warnings

86 posts in this topic

As for whether or not this is an historic event, this is something that has never happened to Spidey before, he has never voluntarily shown his secret identity to the world. So in that sense it is historic. However, this event will have to continue and not be wiped by Dr. Strange, or shown as a dream sequence ala Bobby in the shower on Dallas, to remain historic. The spidey-reveal is historic right now because of what has come before, but it will only continue to be referenced that way if it matters in the future. Which is why Bane and Doomsday are sad footnotes in history instead of historic events. DC found a way to make those events irrelevant and thus prevented those events from being historic in the long ru

Chris,

This is exactly what I had said in my first post. There needs to be a passage of time for this to be considered "timeless" or "worthless"......And being that someone stepped up and bought the last page for crazy money, this just sets the bar and I think is bad for the majority that won't be able to spend the money for these pages....I hope the buyer doesn't end up like ol' Italian Treasures .........

Ok, was browsing the Artist's Choice (who I have always had good dealings with) and found this.

Steve McNiven Civil War #2 Art

These Pages are not priced and are available by OFFER ONLY. PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO THE HISTORIC NATURE OF THE STORY AND ARTWORK, YOUR OFFER SHOULD BE OVER $7,500 ON PAGES 20, 21, AND 22 (Combined bids for these pages will be considered if they are in this range). THIS ART IS HISTORIC AND WE ARE WELL AWARE THAT THE PRICES BEING ASKED ARE WELL ABOVE INDUSTRY ORIGINAL ART PRICES. IF THEY DO NOT SELL, MR. McNIVEN WOULD BE JUST AS HAPPY TO KEEP THE ART FOR HIS FAMILY.

Well, firstly I can't afford the $7500. But I think this would be a giant financial risk if I could. Sure, today, Spider-Man's revelation is making news, but one year from now, will anyone remember Civil War? Will it have been retconned away?

Yes, I will admit the black costume lasted longer than I thought and I'm sure the cover for ASM 252 is worth substainally more than covers around it, but will anyone really throw down $7500 to grab these?

Interested in thoughts and stories of others that have bought pages for pure speculation (more on the line that you thought the page was historic and not that you thought a particular artist's work would increase in value).

Is this $7500 per page? confused-smiley-013.gif

I read it as $7500 per page and combined bids for 2 or more would be accepted if they were in the $7500 range (i.e. 2 pages for $1400). confused-smiley-013.gif

Either case is about the same to me, since I won't be looking to get any of these. Give me a Fabry cover for 1/3rd of that any day of the week 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, was browsing the Artist's Choice (who I have always had good dealings with) and found this.

Steve McNiven Civil War #2 Art

YOUR OFFER SHOULD BE OVER $7,500 ON PAGES 20, 21, AND 22 (Combined bids for these pages will be considered if they are in this range). .

Sounds like 3 pages combined

But the only way the parenthesis statement makes sense is if its $7500 per page. Thats a lot of money for new art, imho. For $20,000 + you can get some realllllly nice proven track record art? Maybe I am misunderstanding. Curious, though. confused-smiley-013.gif

It's just more overpriced modern aged garbage.

I am a BIG Zeck fan and he was considered Modern garbage for along time. There's defintely value in new stuff if you buy what you like, I guess. I personally would rather have a Wood Cover for 20K. Thats just me though. There does seem to be a lot of new money flowing into modern stuff that I often wonder whether its value will hold. Time will tell the tale, I guess.

I meant the stuff that's coming out now,not stuff that came out 10-15 years ago

Give me a break Kev.

All of the stuff I've purchased so far is "modern garbage". 10-15 years ago Jim Lee X-men was "modern garbage", that McFarlane splash you bought was "modern garbage" and just a little earlier Brian Bolland was putting out "modern garbage" as well.

So, does art have to be at least 10 years old before it stops becoming "garbage"? If so maybe I should trade in my Dell'Otto paintings for a couple of Liefield pieces.

Judge art by aesthetics and technical skill and not by what year it came out. There was talent then and there's talent now.

Give me a break Kev.

All of the stuff I've purchased so far is "modern garbage". 10-15 years ago Jim Lee X-men was "modern garbage", that McFarlane splash you bought was "modern garbage" and just a little earlier Brian Bolland was putting out "modern garbage" as well.

So, does art have to be at least 10 years old before it stops becoming "garbage"? If so maybe I should trade in my Dell'Otto paintings for a couple of Liefield pieces.

Judge art by aesthetics and technical skill and not by what year it came out. There was talent then and there's talent now.

Very well said. I have nothing to add. thumbsup2.gif

Give me a break Kev.

Stating the obvious, although some people seem to need it spelled out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why is it that there are always collectors in our hobby that feel the need to put down others collecting tastes. foreheadslap.gif

Well - whoever picked up that last page also picked up a cover since they are using the art for the second printing of the issue.

Still not a bargain by any means - but at least that's a LITTLE better ...

Well - whoever picked up that last page also picked up a cover since they are using the art for the second printing of the issue.

Still not a bargain by any means - but at least that's a LITTLE better ...

He got lucky....

just a little earlier Brian Bolland was putting out "modern garbage" as well.

Ummm...no. I get your point about modern art, etc etc.

But you might wanna leave Bolland out of this. sumo.gif

sign-rantpost.gif Been a fan of his since the late 70's and I don't know anyone who ever called his work garbage.

So, ok? We all good then..?? thumbsup2.gif Back to the fight at hand.

Chris

just a little earlier Brian Bolland was putting out "modern garbage" as well.

Ummm...no. I get your point about modern art, etc etc.

But you might wanna leave Bolland out of this. sumo.gif

sign-rantpost.gif Been a fan of his since the late 70's and I don't know anyone who ever called his work garbage.

So, ok? We all good then..?? thumbsup2.gif Back to the fight at hand.

Chris

Oh I'm sure someone at some point during the late 70's and early 80's dismissed his work as "modern garbage". Deal with it. tongue.gif

Oh I'm sure someone at some point during the late 70's and early 80's dismissed his work as "modern garbage". Deal with it.

Helen Keller Don't count...

C

I wasn't saying all modern art is garbage so you people need to chill out....7500.00 for civil war art is what I meant by overpriced modern art garbage,the 15K jim lee batman splashes came to mind when I wrote that post,Go ahead and buy all the modern art you want,just don't over pay for it...jeez.

I know I almost choked when I saw no less than 5 Lee Batman and Superman cover for 10K+++ at the Chicago show last year. I kept ticking off all the great Kirby or Ditko I could get for that.

Chris