• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your first ever CGC submission...

46 posts in this topic

Mine was an X-men #1 that graded 4.5 (board members prior to grading were in consensus that it would do no better than a 3 yeahok.gif)

The next was an X-men 41 which graded a 9.2

Both have been sold

First CGC Submission:

Amazing Spider-man #58 VF/NM 9.0 Green River

Batman #174 VF+ 8.5 Green River

Strange Tales #138 VF/NM 9.0 Green River

Fantastic Four #45 VF+ 8.5 Green River

Avengers #22 VF+ 8.5 Green River

Daredevil #11 NM 9.4 Green River

X-men #14 VF+ 8.5 Green River

Thor #127 NM 9.4 Green River

OK Red, stop drooling tongue.gif

What grade did your #89 variant get??

It only got a 3.5 -- I just wanted to get the variant slabbed b/c it was a variant. BTW, I submitted another on 2 months ago and they "forgot" to note the variant on it (and the 35¢ Avengers) I sent in. This time it came back a 9.0.

Very nice books. Looks like nearly everyone was quite successful their first time around.

Second round they sent me a cracked slab (not cracked due to shipping) and refused to replace it because, "that's impossible... QC would have caught it".

Great second experience.

My second submission/experience introduced me to the dreaded SCS on a couple of books such as this one frustrated.gif

On a submission about 18 months ago I sent in 12 books and 9 of them came back with a tiny bit of SCS. It was at that point I swore off ever slabbing another non-modern book for personal consumption. Everything I slab now gets flipped.

First CGC Submission:

Amazing Spider-man #58 VF/NM 9.0 Green River

Batman #174 VF+ 8.5 Green River

Strange Tales #138 VF/NM 9.0 Green River

Fantastic Four #45 VF+ 8.5 Green River

Avengers #22 VF+ 8.5 Green River

Daredevil #11 NM 9.4 Green River

X-men #14 VF+ 8.5 Green River

Thor #127 NM 9.4 Green River

OK Red, stop drooling tongue.gif

I currently have four of those in my collection. The ST138, The Avengers 22 (first Green River I ever purchased), and the FF45. And I think I have the same X-Men 14....even though it's out of the slab now. The Daredevil 11 9.4 went on to become the infamous Ewert 9.6 that now sits in a highly ranked registry set. The Thor 127 is in another registry set, and the other books are currently in collections belonging to board members.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Red

(okay, I drooled a little. wink.gif )

My first submission was made up of three books......one came back with a plod......

Amazing Spider-Man #62 9.0 PLOD (small glue touch on spine)

Avengers #15 8.5

Tales of Suspense #23 8.0

It coulda' been worse.

David, what is wrong with this book that brings it to a 3.5? Is the lower staple popped? What else is these as this is a very nice looking book.

Scott

Scott,

It was a definite "slap in the face". My thoughts were 4.5 minimum (with hopes for higher), but what did I know confused-smiley-013.gif

I actually talked to Steve about this . . . my first conversation with him actually. He reviewed the grading notes with me, but if I recall correctly, he was not the final grader on the book. Notes said "large stain inside cover". I recalled that there was only a typical ink-transfer stain common to many SA Marvels. I pointed this out to Steve . . . his response was "crack it out" and look at it.

At $65 grading fee, I was reluctant to do so and just chalked it up as a learning experience. Unfortunately, this experience "soured" me to the entire concept of slabbing books, except for resale.

Aside: I recently sold this to a collector friend, who was quite pleased. The book was one of those thought to be "universally undergraded". grin.gif

-David