• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Punisher #1 CGC 9.8.....WTF??!?!?!?!?!

214 posts in this topic

"BTW, I believe that both of them will be significantly LESS than $500, but the Punisher 1 wil be less significantly less than the Champions 1."

With Bushenomics we might have 20-150% inflation on the horizon (particularly after Jeb Bush is appointed president in a military coupe or by the Supreme Court if a [embarrassing lack of self control] wins in 2008), so prices might hold up, just not in real dollars.

People will be so depressed that the only solace they'll have is collecting funny books. Power Pack #1 will be a $50 book, but $50 will only buy you a candy bar.

(I just got back from the U.K. where the dollar is so worthless it felt like my hotel was stuffing them in the tissue dispenser for us to blow our noses with. And this is coming from a guy who lives in Manhattan and is used to things being expensive!)

oh my gawsh, I typed in D * E * M * O * C * R * A * T and this website plugged in "[embarassing lack of self control]"

I know CGC is located in Florida, but has Diebold taken over the website?

'd much rather buy a Champions #1 or Invaders #1 in 9.8 for $500 and many would even think that's a crazy price to pay for those BA books

Yep. grin.gif

I realize those books are 10 years older, but they're less significant than the Punisher. $500 makes no sense for this book, but it makes even less sense to me to pay that for an Invaders #1 or Champions #1. Just my opinion.

I'll bet you in 5 years, it will be much clearer that purchasing an Invaders#1 or Champions #1 would have been the better fiscal choice to make for $500.

I don't view this book as being more significant than those, but maybe that's the difference between a BA fan and a CA fan. It will be interesting to see how more and more of these pop up out of the dealer stacks now that it is hitting $500 range.

Look at the recent surge of Star Wars #1 9.8's that popped up after it started going for stupid money. Look at the Transformers #1's that are now constantly popping up after a few of them went for $400 +.

Trust me, if BA book's were hoarded by dealers and collector's, then these will not end up being scarce at all.

You're on. I'll wager that on July 10, 2011, the value of a CGC slabbed 9.8 Punisher 1 is higher than a CGC slabbed 9.8 Champions 1. What's the bet?

BTW, I believe that both of them will be significantly LESS than $500, but the Punisher 1 wil be less significantly less than the Champions 1.

Ok, I'll bite, but first you got to translate your BTW comment so that it makes sense poke2.gif

The value of both books is going to melt down significantly, but the Punisher 1 will be higher than the Champions 1. Both will be selling for far under $500.

sorry, i shouldn't have written "military coupe", just coupe. after i wrote that i thought that after another few years of Iraq there's no way the military would go along with that, particularly with a seemingly endless supply of retired generals who are registering as [embarrassing lack of self control] and running for office.

But I'll still diss Bush and Diebold. F 'em.

But I'm still confused about how D * E * M.... is a censored word on this site?

(I just got back from the U.K. where the dollar is so worthless it felt like my hotel was stuffing them in the tissue dispenser for us to blow our noses with. And this is coming from a guy who lives in Manhattan and is used to things being expensive!)

27_laughing.gif

Well i for one am loving it. There has never been a better time to buy comics.

'd much rather buy a Champions #1 or Invaders #1 in 9.8 for $500 and many would even think that's a crazy price to pay for those BA books

Yep. grin.gif

I realize those books are 10 years older, but they're less significant than the Punisher. $500 makes no sense for this book, but it makes even less sense to me to pay that for an Invaders #1 or Champions #1. Just my opinion.

I'll bet you in 5 years, it will be much clearer that purchasing an Invaders#1 or Champions #1 would have been the better fiscal choice to make for $500.

I don't view this book as being more significant than those, but maybe that's the difference between a BA fan and a CA fan. It will be interesting to see how more and more of these pop up out of the dealer stacks now that it is hitting $500 range.

Look at the recent surge of Star Wars #1 9.8's that popped up after it started going for stupid money. Look at the Transformers #1's that are now constantly popping up after a few of them went for $400 +.

Trust me, if BA book's were hoarded by dealers and collector's, then these will not end up being scarce at all.

You're on. I'll wager that on July 10, 2011, the value of a CGC slabbed 9.8 Punisher 1 is higher than a CGC slabbed 9.8 Champions 1. What's the bet?

BTW, I believe that both of them will be significantly LESS than $500, but the Punisher 1 wil be less significantly less than the Champions 1.

Ok, I'll bite, but first you got to translate your BTW comment so that it makes sense poke2.gif

The value of both books is going to melt down significantly, but the Punisher 1 will be higher than the Champions 1. Both will be selling for far under $500.

Ok, that's what I thought you were saying.

You're on then thumbsup2.gif

Here's the rundown on the books to date:

Punisher #1 Limited Series 1/86

9.8.....30 (none higher)

Total graded...292

Champions #1 10/75

9.8.....2 (none higher)

Total graded...204

I don't know what you want to bet, but with Champions #1 being obviously harder to come by in 9.8 grade, the demand does not have to be as widespread for it to retain a higher value than the Punisher #1 in 9.8. I predict it will retain a $500 plus value and easily still get that in the marketplace in 5 years time.

It would literally take a wharehouse find to even have a shot at getting saturated to demand.

The Punisher on the other hand will continue to see it's 9.8 census rise each update. There is also a higher chance of these turning up in a bulk submission per it's newer age status. These will continue to trickle in as more dealers and collectors see the high amount of dollars the 9.8s are bringing in. In 5 years time, 30 9.8s will be a distant memory for this book and so will $500.

Anxious to hear your analysis. popcorn.gif

Yep. grin.gif

I am a BA fan, even though I grew up with copper, so that has nothing to do with it. Punisher getting his own title in my mind is more significant than a grouping of C-List heroes for a short lived title, or a throw back to a GA team that isn't all that popular either.

As for how many 9.8's there are of each of these books, that's irrelevant if we're discussing which book is more important. Quite frankly, all 3 of these books are common as heck in 9.6 and paying this kind of premium for a label will ultimately prove to be a poor fiscal choice, regardless of the age of the book.

Really, you think they were all C-list heroes? Captain America is a C-List hero?

I was referring to "The Champions" when I said C-list heroes.

I do want to clarify that somehow we got off the topic of the price for these three books and moved it into the realm of which character is more significant.

We're discussing which book is more important, not which character. As for the Wolverine LS, I do belive it was much more heavily hoarded than the Punisher #1.

If you really want a nice Punisher # 1, do what I did: buy an original owner 80s collection, take out the 9.4-9.6 specimen, put it in mylar, and laugh at those paying $500 for a certified copy of the book when you got yours for a quarter.

Paying anything more then the cost of grading for a certified 80s Marvel (ANY 80s Marvel) is about as foolish as it gets.

I don't know what you want to bet, but with Champions #1 being obviously harder to come by in 9.8 grade, the demand does not have to be as widespread for it to retain a higher value than the Punisher #1 in 9.8. I predict it will retain a $500 plus value and easily still get that in the marketplace in 5 years time.

It would literally take a wharehouse find to even have a shot at getting saturated to demand.

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Yes, it would take a warehouse find to flush out high-grade examples of a 1976 comic book.

Champions: Most convoluted and concocted team ever!

With that said, I wouldn't bet on zillions of 9.8s out there, though plenty of 9.4s. That book had a bump in the early 90s I think with Ghostrider getting popular, so nice copies that had survived years of sitting in the dollar box (I'd guestimate that probably wasn't a quarter bin book) probably would have gotten their bags and boards by then. But that series was DOA practically, wasn't it? Even at the height of Byrne-mania in the early 80's, the Byrne issues from that run were still in the 25 or 50 cent box, coupled with it having a bunch of X-Men on the team, just goes to show how little interest people had.

Yes, it would take a warehouse find to flush out high-grade examples of a 1976 comic book.

My analogy for paying a ridiculous multiple on a post-1975 Marvel in certified 9.8:

You want a car. A very particular car. No, it isn't rare. It isn't even uncommon, but its still cool. There is a decent demand for them, but yet every dealer you drive by happens to have a couple. You want one in cherry mint condition, so you pass on the beaters, and even a couple of original owner, low mile specimens.

One day, a dealer advertises that he has one of these cars, in fact, it was one of the first to roll off the assembly line. Its gorgeous, with just a few miles on it. Everything is original. And the asking price is about 40 times that of a decent original owner model you passed on last week.

Do you pay it? Is it worth it? What if the dealer advertises another one just like it next week? Will yours be so special then?

My analogy for paying a ridiculous multiple on a post-1975 Marvel in certified 9.8:

You want a car. A very particular car. No, it isn't rare. It isn't even uncommon, but its still cool. There is a decent demand for them, but yet every dealer you drive by happens to have a couple. You want one in cherry mint condition, so you pass on the beaters, and even a couple of original owner, low mile specimens.

One day, a dealer advertises that he has one of these cars, in fact, it was one of the first to roll off the assembly line. Its gorgeous, with just a few miles on it. Everything is original. And the asking price is about 40 times that of a decent original owner model you passed on last week.

Do you pay it? Is it worth it? What if the dealer advertises another one just like it next week? Will yours be so special then?

I like this analogy. Of course...you'd still have to ask the dealer if any dents were hammered out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I like this analogy. Of course...you'd still have to ask the dealer if any dents were hammered out.

And you'd have about as much chance getting to the truth as if you asked the average comic dealer about pressing....

ok, it does it for both parties. i guess that's fair.

Libertarian

politics are verboten, to the point of 893censored-thumb.gifing out the party names.

you know, to each their own, but if you're buying Champions 1 in 9.8 in the hopes it will rise in value, i wonder if your money might be better served going towards books with a more...proven...track record

I like this analogy. Of course...you'd still have to ask the dealer if any dents were hammered out. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let me add one final part to this analogy....

...in order for that cherry-mint car you paid a hefty premium for to maintain its value, you essentially have to garage it and never take it for a drive. Its special because it has so few miles and virtually no wear on it, and if you take it for even one drive, the value plummets immediately.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a car, as cars were designed to be used, not kept under a cover in a garage, but you could always buy one of those nice original owner models as well and have one for "go" and one for "show".