• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Punisher #1 CGC 9.8.....WTF??!?!?!?!?!

214 posts in this topic

Aw come on Joe, does someone have to prove they've been at this since 1972 to have an opinion?

Of course not, but if you tell me you've been at it since 1972, please let it be the truth.

1976 for me. Of course I wasn't actively collecting all these years....but I've always maintained my entire collection.

Gimme a break - the majority are known toy dealers. 27_laughing.gif

Honestly, what would you say your toy-to-comic ratio was on EBay from 2000 to 2003?

You mean you don't want to know what my ratio is today?

I still have yet to see an answer on what a hardcore comic collector you were from 2000 to 2003. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

P.S. There is no disputing you bought comics yesterday, I just have serious doubts you were heavy into it in 1999-2000, as you claim.

I think this thread is getting close to becoming the new "Beating a Dead Horse" Champion.

I keep hoping for one of the three participating Forumites to just walk away.

I do agree with you. I think I'm done here. It's bee real, it's been fun, it just ain't been real fun.

See you guys here in 5 years when we square up pic03723.gif

Andy, I still like ya and wish we could settle this over a game of LOTR Risk - I'd woop ya wink.gif

JC, well...you're JC what can I really say. I'd post a pic for ya, but the mods would yank it.

Everbody else...hope there's no hard feelings. See ya guys in other threads.

Sorry, just one more - what are we in fact betting? Lunch in 2011, something like that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My opinion here, bottomline???

The Punisher has always been a cool character...

The Champions, we're always a lame [embarrassing lack of self control] bunch of Marvel 2nd tier and 3rd tier characters, teaming with Hulk sleeping.gif

There is no way DEMAND will be higher for the Champions# 1 in 10yrs, than Punisher# 1 LS. Their popularity when they first appeared was weak, and it won't change in this decade.

just my worthless opinion. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Champions, we're always a lame [embarrassing lack of self control] bunch of Marvel 2nd tier and 3rd tier characters, teaming with Hulk sleeping.gif

Hulk was not in the group.. are you thinking of Defenders?

Pretty sure my first convention was 1976 in NYC, dim recollections if a bicentential theme. I was just a li'l guy, but I sort of remember my father giving me like $5 to play with (it was my older brother who got us to go to the show). I distinctly remember buying a mangled Hulk 3 (which I later sold for like $2) and mangled Daredevil 5 (which I still have), Hulk Annual 1 (still have), a L'il Abner (still have) and a bunch of other misc 10/12 cent stuff.

my father bought a bunch of "#1" issues, probably because my brother told him that's the way to go. While ASM Annual #1 was probably not such a bad buy, Eternal 1, Beauwulf 1 and a bunch of other similar 70s #1s were sort of a waste.

Defenders had its moments... what does a 9.8 Marvel Feature 2 (is that the first) or Defenders 1 in 9.8 go for?

Actually, I guess just the plane old Defenders 1 in 9.8 is the better comparison. that was at least a book that last well over 100 issues, although amazingly, hardly any "key" books in the run. #10 is sought after, but hardly "key". I guess when Lunatik becomes a big character those first appearances will move out of the 50 cents box to the $1 box. (I admit that I've actually bought a lot of Defenders issues out of the "bin" in my day, although I've stopped as of late unless it's a pretty early issue.)

I've got a very pretty Defenders 1, but it's in one of those Mylar sleeves that are kindah hard to open and I'm terrified of removing it and damaging it.

Honestly, what would you say your toy-to-comic ratio was on EBay from 2000 to 2003?

I still have yet to see an answer on what a hardcore comic collector you were from 2000 to 2003. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

P.S. There is no disputing you bought comics yesterday, I just have serious doubts you were heavy into it in 1999-2000, as you claim.

I think this thread is getting close to becoming the new "Beating a Dead Horse" Champion.

I do agree with you. I think I'm done here. It's bee real, it's been fun, it just ain't been real fun.

Andy, I still like ya and wish we could settle this over a game of LOTR Risk - I'd woop ya wink.gif

JC, well...you're JC what can I really say. I'd post a pic for ya, but the mods would yank it.

Sorry, just one more - what are we in fact betting? Lunch in 2011, something like that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Did I win this bet?

Did I win this bet?

No. Champions was higher than Punisher as it relates to 2011 GPA average. If you had said 2013, you would have won the bet. Both are significantly below $500 in 9.8 and Punisher LS #1 is currently outperforming.

I read this thread... and it's now almost recognizable from where it started.

Along the lines of appreciating this book... a bit of trivia...

There is something written in graffiti on the wall behind the Punisher on the cover to #1 that is hard to decipher unless you get a really sharp copy of the comic. What is it?

Just sold a copy of this for £15 ($23), picked it up for £6 ($9). Couldn't have been anything less than 9-9.2. Is the .6 of 'quality' really worth the extra several hundred dollars? Are US buyers really that much more insane than UK buyers, or is it the fact that it wasn't slabbed? I'd love to know as a lot of tip-offs I've had on here for 'valuable' books have never really paid off as much as I've seen on this forum amongst US sellers.

There is something written in graffiti on the wall behind the Punisher on the cover to #1 that is hard to decipher unless you get a really sharp copy of the comic. What is it?

?

I just looked at Heritage's giant scan of this book and there's no graffitti on the wall that I can see

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121323&lotNo=10367#Photo

?

I just looked at Heritage's giant scan of this book and there's no graffitti on the wall that I can see

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121323&lotNo=10367#Photo

Look closer...

http://marvel1980s.blogspot.com/2012/11/1989-punisher-pinup-by-mike-zeck.html