• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Ultimate Spidey DOA?

15 posts in this topic

I was looking through the BIN list, searching on Spidey and before I sorted it, came upon a virtual parade of USM CGC 10.0, 9.8 and 9.6 issues that didn't have a single bid.

I remember back in the day that these issues (some as low as $10-$20 a piece) would have been flying out, and it may be time for my prediction to come true...

Maybe a little early for me to pick up the entire run at cover price, but that day does seem to be dawning.

I was looking through the BIN list, searching on Spidey and before I sorted it, came upon a virtual parade of USM CGC 10.0, 9.8 and 9.6 issues that didn't have a single bid.

I remember back in the day that these issues (some as low as $10-$20 a piece) would have been flying out, and it may be time for my prediction to come true...

Maybe a little early for me to pick up the entire run at cover price, but that day does seem to be dawning.

Of COURSE the values are going down. Because I just bought them! That's my super-hero power, remember?

I don't know, I stopped watching those old ones after I finished 1-20..now I've got DD sending me 21-37 smile.gif

The story is 100 times better than the books collectibility

Brian

Was there any doubt?

Nope, but seeing those reams of USM CGC books with rather low BINS and lower min bids, all sitting there like dead stock, was quite shocking.

Time to turn this puppy, it's cooked.

Was there any doubt?

Nope, but seeing those reams of USM CGC books with rather low BINS and lower min bids, all sitting there like dead stock, was quite shocking.

Time to turn this puppy, it's cooked.

I dumped my USM copies wayyy back grin.gif

There are still premiums fetched on early issues 1-10 especially 1 and variants and 5. The rest of the CGC 9.8- 10.0 of copies post-issue 20 have been priced too high or mass submitted by a major dealer, getting their books back within a week of the book's release, thus decreasing the demand due to rarity factor. Most folks are just waiting until some non-dealers get their books back at the same grades and post them with lower start bids. Buyers are wiser about the "waiting game". I remember some forum members jumping on those CGC 9.8 copies of USM 33 and up when they were put out. They probably could have gotten their own 9.8's by submitting themselves, but not everyone has the patience to deal with submitting and waiting. Instant gratification - to each their own. I can sympathize on books I want bad enough.

So, JC, your statement is right about the later issues, but the lack of bids on the CGC 9.8 earlier issues of USM 1-10 is due to the high start price or reeserves. Some still have sold for pretty high. Pull up recent USM sales on CGC 9.8 #'s 3,4 and 6. Even the 5 CGC 9.6 just sold for about $105 (this was down to around $75 when I was getting rid of my last cgc 9.6 copy).

Even the 5 CGC 9.6 just sold for about $105 (this was down to around $75 when I was getting rid of my last cgc 9.6 copy).

Well, I guess that answers THAT. See, I was just gonna ask if you still had a 5 you could sell me.

BTW, are you a private colector, or do run a comics business/shop? I'm wondering how you get all those HG new comics! (Anyone else want Darth to be their subscription service?)

Thats the point right there, the shear volume of these books listed in ultra high grade on eBay turns buyers off. The percieved 'rarity' factor is just not there.

This might be a stretch............ I think if they start doing something different from those bland generic covers, then you'd might spark more people flipping through the pages in the stores and then maybe picking up the current issues. I've not bought the last two issues, partly cause I don't like the flimsy paper it's currently printed on,

This might be a stretch............ I think if they start doing something different from those bland generic covers, then you'd might spark more people flipping through the pages in the stores and then maybe picking up the current issues. I've not bought the last two issues, partly cause I don't like the flimsy paper it's currently printed on,

Bingo! I can't TAKE another USM cover of Spidey either just standing there, or clinging to a building.

We need DYNAMIC, and DISTINCT covers. For example, can anyone tell me which issue of USM has a picture of Spider-Man standing on a cement precipice, looking toward the viewer?

No?

Okay, now can anyone tell me which issue of Amazing Spider-Man featured an image of Hobgoblin seizing Spider Man's upper body and tearing it in half like fabric, from top to bottom?

I'll bet 99% of you knew it was #238.

Which cover art makes the issue appear inherently significant (aside form content significance, of course)?

Even the 5 CGC 9.6 just sold for about $105 (this was down to around $75 when I was getting rid of my last cgc 9.6 copy).

Well, I guess that answers THAT. See, I was just gonna ask if you still had a 5 you could sell me.

BTW, are you a private colector, or do run a comics business/shop? I'm wondering how you get all those HG new comics! (Anyone else want Darth to be their subscription service?)

I do collect USM and moderns, along now with Bronze, price variants, bondage covers... etc. The newer stuff I sell you guys all came from www.comic-central.com - I've shared that with everyone before. The older back issues are either trades and purchases offline or at shows. For newer books, I think if you end up with a decent Diamond distributor line, you should be fine. A line where the UPS guys don't sling the boxes into the hold as hard as they can, landing on edges and corners or piling cinder blocks on top of them...

Thanks for the kudos. I did get your USM package out to you and Murph0's. If I find a CGC 9.6 USM 5 or one raw worthy of your requests then I will send it on to you...

now I just have to get Chromium's package all set. It's just missing 2 books frown.gif sorry bro...baby gift coming too...

now I just have to get Chromium's package all set. It's just missing 2 books frown.gif sorry bro...baby gift coming too...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

s'all right...just let me know which ones so I can look if I can find them myself....

baby gift ?? Cheese ???