• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Book sales for Richnerd challenge

13 posts in this topic

Richnerd was contemplating selling his Captain America #1 that was given to him by his grandfather. 893whatthe.gif

In honor of his contemplated sacrifice for his family, I suggest the following challenge to the members of this board:

If we all sell between one and three books from our collection we don't need and donate the proceeds to Richnerd, we could possibly raise as much or more for his family than he could with the sale of his family heirloom Cap #1.

Sales can be on the boards or through eBay. I suggest eBay sales have "richnerd" in the title for easy searching.

I'll start tonight by posting a couple of Bronze Batmans I have duplicates of. I know I have an extra 289 in VF or better.

In honor of his contemplated sacrifice for his family, I suggest the following challenge to the members of this board:

I'm not sure I understand this.

I'm all for helping out and if Rich steps up to the plate and sells the Cap, then I'd gladly join in and see if we can add to that amount, but otherwise, I don't get it.

I'll leave it at that.

I'm not sure I understand this.

I'm all for helping out and if Rich steps up to the plate and sells the Cap, then I'd gladly join in and see if we can add to that amount, but otherwise, I don't get it.

I'll leave it at that.

So JC you want a full report on every damn thing I have sold so far to help them out??

To anyone else who has helped or is helping,

God Bless you, and you can be damned sure I will be first in line if the table ever turns.. I hope it never does..

Rich

Could we just start one thread in the WTB forum, with each sale payment gets sent to Rich's paypal acct. I think this would be the easiest way to keep things on track and for people to know that their money is going directly to Rich and his family. All it would take would be Rich letting the seller know that payment has been made (or something to that effect). All the seller needs to do is ship.

Each seller could factor in shipping to the buyer.

Thoughts?

Richnerd was contemplating selling his Captain America #1 that was given to him by his grandfather. 893whatthe.gif

If we all sell between one and three books from our collection we don't need and donate the proceeds to Richnerd, we could possibly raise as much or more for his family than he could with the sale of his family heirloom Cap #1.

No offense, Sean, but Ayn Rand herself could not have come up with a more compelling case of altruism gone amok. foreheadslap.gif I do not consider selling off a comic book for which someone has offered "insane" money to help your unemployed brother and his seriously injured wife in their time of greatest need to be much of a sacrifice at all. I really hope that, if I ever find myself in the dire financial straits that accompanies a medical crisis, my relatives wouldn't hesitate to sell off assets, sentimental or otherwise, to help me and my (future) spouse out should it come to that; I know I certainly wouldn't blink if my sister were in such a position and I had the means to alleviate her family's misery by selling off any of my prized collectibles. At the end of the day, Rich will have to weigh his options and do what he feels is right; all I'm saying is that it seems that there are more important things to consider than hanging onto a comic book.

So JC you want a full report on every damn thing I have sold so far to help them out??

No, I simply don't understand a challenge simply because you contemplated selling a comic.

And don't get me wrong, I do empathize with your sister in law and wish her all the best. But compared to a poor girl with a shattered spine and head injuries, I simply don't see the importance of your "personal battle" over selling an old comic.

Either sell it, or don't sell it, simple as that.

And don't get me wrong, I do empathize with your sister in law and wish her all the best.

Likewise - my sympathies and best wishes for a speedy recovery are with her and her family. It is only with that in mind that I decided to throw my two cents in.

Perhaps I should have merely kept my mouth shut.

I think making donations by selling off an unwanted book or two is no more or less altruistic than just giving money flat out like was asked before.

And Ayn Rand was a few comics shy of a full run.

I think making donations by selling off an unwanted book or two is no more or less altruistic than just giving money flat out like was asked before.

But Gene was making that statement in response to your empassioned plea to "sell your books before Rich sells his Cap #1".

I'd rather keep the focus on the plight of his sister in law, rather than some old comic.

Ok everyone, I appreciate the help, but please there seems to be a storm brewing and I dont want to be the cause. I really appreciate the help and wont turn it down. So let the threads drop off and if you want to help or donate pm me so we dont stir anything up. Or go to the blog I created for Jim and Steph and leave them a note. http://syndram.blogspot.com/

I cant express how proud I am of the response I have gotten from this forum and it all started with one little post by Kenny.

Thank you all, and God Bless,

Rich

Just a note that I think this ill-advised "Sell Your Books So Rich Can Keep his Cap #1" thread is where all the problems started, and where I personally thought things went over the line.