• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Submission Strategy question

40 posts in this topic

But I think the best strategy is not to submit POS books.

Worked well for me!

Or maybe the best advice is to not delude yourself that your book rocks when it is junk! frown.gif

That's what scares me. If I found out the dd #158 was a 9.0 or 9.2 rather than a 9.6/9.8 it would kill me. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

At least with CGC they don't judge you. I can just imagine the hammering I would get if I got the forum to pre screen them and they weren't what I believed they were. makepoint.gif

But I think the best strategy is not to submit POS books.

Worked well for me!

Or maybe the best advice is to not delude yourself that your book rocks when it is junk! frown.gif

That's what scares me. If I found out the dd #158 was a 9.0 or 9.2 rather than a 9.6/9.8 it would kill me. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

At least with CGC they don't judge you. I can just imagine the hammering I would get if I got the forum to pre screen them and they weren't what I believed they were. makepoint.gif

Hell...I always take the grades that the forums members throw out with a grain of salt. They have always quoted lower grades than what CGC eventually gives me. Hell....CGC usually gives me better grades than I expect most of the time! 893applaud-thumb.gif

The only thing I don't really get how it works is walk-thru.

Brian

We drop everything to do the walk-thru's.

Wait, that probably isn't the best wording. Let me try again. blush.gif

Walk-thru's are received, verified and brought into the grading room as soon as they come in. Chris, the graders and finalizer do the walk-thru's as soon as the books come to them.

Oh, and Bug-- all those crisp $20's are making the pre-graders rich. They really appreciate it. Too bad the $20’s never reach the finalizers. tongue.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

Greggy is bugs finalizer...and he does it for free....

Then why has he been charging me????mad.gif

Back to topic:

One piece of strategy advice I would have is this: Don't submit less than 10 books at a time.

Two reasons, and neither of them has anything to do with it improving your chances at high grade books.

First reason is that shipping charges are a killer on anything less than 10 books. Second reason is that in any batch of ten you are liable to have at least one book that is a good surprise and one book that is a bad surprise. By getting books back in larger lots, it balances out the emotional reaction to getting the grades back.

Here's an example:

Say you have ten books that you think are 9.2-9.4... One of them is actually a 9.8. One of them is actually a 6.5 due to a hidden flaw. The others are split 9.2 and 9.4. You submit three books and get a 9.4, 9.2, 6.5 result and you're going to have a rat in your mouth for days afterwards. You may choose to not even submit the other seven (missing out on the 9.8). Or you submit three books and get a 9.4, 9.4, 9.8 result and you're ecstatic. You send in your other seven and two months later you get back the remaining books, and now you're complaining to anyone who will listen that CGC has tightened their grading standards. You send in all ten at once, and you find out that your grading and CGC's are not far off at all, and the 9.8 will sell for more than enough to take away the pain of the 6.5...

Do yourself a favor. Submit in large enough quantities to even things out. Otherwise you're like a guy who shows up to play golf, plays the 10th hole and then leaves. Did he really learn anything about his game?

Arrrgh, I hate moderns. Here's my most recent submission results:

1) Blitzkrieg 1 - 9.4 OWW

2) GS Chillers 1 (1975) - 9.2 OWW

3) GS Chillers 2 - 9.4 OWW

4) GS Chillers 3 - 9.6 OWW

5) GS Doc Savage 1 - 9.2 OWW and 9.4 OWW

6) GS FF 4 - 9.2 OW

7) GS FF 5 - 8.0 OW

8) GS FF 6 - 9.4 OWW

9) GS Hulk 1 - 2 x 9.2 OWW but 1 of them has slight CT on cover!

10) GS Man Thing 3 - 9.2 OWW

11) GS Power Man 1 - 9.4 OWW

12) GS Spider-man 3 - 9.2 OWW

13) GS Spider-man 6 - 9.0 OWW

14) GS Thor 1 - 9.4 OWW

15) Iron Fist 1 - 9.4 OWW

16) The Joker 1 - 9.2 OWW and 9.6 OW

17) Son of Satan 1 - 9.2 OWW and 9.4 OWW

I give up on moderns!

You know greggy, without knowing what grades you were expecting it's hard to see a cause for anger...

There's some nice books there...

Yo - I thought you were pre-screening the Giants at 9.6!?!? shocked.gif

I seem to recall someone saying recently that CGC books usually came back higher than expected...hmmm...who was that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yo - I thought you were pre-screening the Giants at 9.6!?!? shocked.gif

I seem to recall someone saying recently that CGC books usually came back higher than expected...hmmm...who was that? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess my modern pre-screening efforts suck. Also, I just can't stand squarebounds. Hope they don't screw with me when I submit my 100 page giants. Luckily those are much higher grades!

Shhhh....only my economies get the special treatment for some reason.

Sigh...at least this is the end of my moderns! cloud9.gif

You know greggy, without knowing what grades you were expecting it's hard to see a cause for anger...

There's some nice books there...

OK...I never officially pre-grade my books and write it down.

But...dammit...those squarebounds.

Plus that damn colour touch. WTF am I going to do with that book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brian

Walk-thru's are received, verified and brought into the grading room as soon as they come in. Chris, the graders and finalizer do the walk-thru's as soon as the books come to them.

Oh, and Bug-- all those crisp $20's are making the pre-graders rich. They really appreciate it. Too bad the $20’s never reach the finalizers. tongue.gifgrin.giftongue.gif

Are the grading fees the same for Walk-thru? Can you explain the % of FMV?

Greggy is bugs finalizer...and he does it for free....

One piece of strategy advice I would have is this: Don't submit less than 10 books at a time.

Two reasons, and neither of them has anything to do with it improving your chances at high grade books.

First reason is that shipping charges are a killer on anything less than 10 books. Second reason is that in any batch of ten you are liable to have at least one book that is a good surprise and one book that is a bad surprise. By getting books back in larger lots, it balances out the emotional reaction to getting the grades back.

If I only had one nasty surprise out of 10 submissions I WOULD be ecstatic (is that how you spell ecstatic?) confused.gif893frustrated.gifgrin.gif

I think my own average is more like no good surprises, half so-so, and half 893censored-thumb.gif893frustrated.gifrantpost.gifmakepoint.gif

Brian

No. I don't think anyone can explain the % of FMV. I only submitted one Walk-through comic. A Superboy 1 that I thought was an 8.0 to 9.0. So i set the value accordingly. It came back 7.5. I talked to Gemma on the phone about Walk-Through. She said, if the value is more than submitted, then they will charge more. But they won't charge less than the minimum ($110 when I submitted).

It's very cornfusing to me. But I'm easily confused, just ask Bugaboo.

Brian

No. I don't think anyone can explain the % of FMV. I only submitted one Walk-through comic. A Superboy 1 that I thought was an 8.0 to 9.0. So i set the value accordingly. It came back 7.5. I talked to Gemma on the phone about Walk-Through. She said, if the value is more than submitted, then they will charge more. But they won't charge less than the minimum ($110 when I submitted).

It's very cornfusing to me. But I'm easily confused, just ask Bugaboo.

I was going to say; "thanks for the info"......but now I think I'm even MORE confused.... confused.gif893frustrated.gifinsane.gif