• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are you doing to boost the comic book industry?

34 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if we have some responsibility to keep the comic book industry alive?

Personally I've been trying to corrupt as many young readers as possible. I have two daughters that are of reading age (with two younger ones still in diapers). My oldest loves Mad Magazine so I bought her a subscription. The next one down loves Archies so I get my LCS to pull four a month for her.

There is a 6 year old kid across the street that loves Spider-man but has never read a comic book so I've been picking up the Marvel Adventures Spiderman flip books they sell here in Canada at the grocery stores and giving them to him. I'm constantly reminding his Mom, "You know you can pick these up each week while getting groceries?".

I have another close friend with an 11 year old who I have also started buying the Marvel Adventures Avengers book. Need to start corrupting him some of the DC titles soon too. Can't create another Marvel Zombie. poke2.gif

So aside from my own kids. I buy two books a month for other children in the hopes that they will get hooked too.

What do you folks do? Donate books to libraries? Spend time in reading groups? Are you a teacher that uses comics to promote reading? Let me know ...

Thanks,

Ubie X

Well other than buying more books than I should devil.gif I have given dups or readers to my nephews and some of my friend's kids thumbsup2.gif

Hand out Free Comic Bk Day comics or my overstock as treats on Hallowe'en. Gave my nephew a stack of overstock comics when he was 5 yrs old. Now he is a comic junkie & his parents complain about his addiction to me. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Gave my nephew a stack of overstock comics when he was 5 yrs old. Now he is a comic junkie & his parents complain about his addiction to me. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Kinda makes me want to give my nephews more! devil.gif

Gave my nephew a stack of overstock comics when he was 5 yrs old. Now he is a comic junkie & his parents complain about his addiction to me. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I try to buy my 6 year old nephew a new comic or two every week. He loves it.

I try to buy my 6 year old nephew a new comic or two every week. He loves it.

Any title in particular?

What are you doing to boost the comic book industry?

I bought 30 freaking copies of UFF 30 to get the cover variants! makepoint.gif

Several years ago, when my nephew was 9, I gave him a stack of comics. He looked up at me with all sincerity and asked "will these provide positive role models?"

I had to think about it.

Several years ago, when my nephew was 9, I gave him a stack of comics. He looked up at me with all sincerity and asked "will these provide positive role models?"

I had to think about it.

sign-funnypost.gif

Reminds me of my kids when they see people riding bikes without helmets or smoking.

They look at me and say "Daddy, they're making bad choices"...... 893applaud-thumb.gif

I had to think about it.

Slightly precocious, your nephew. 27_laughing.gif

As for the thread question - I wrote the odd article about comics and did a couple of interviews for a defunct magazine called Tripwire, which shall be returning as a website (and also an annual book review) in the not too distant future. I'll probably get roped into contributing there, too.