• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I just tell this guy, please don't bid on my books?

32 posts in this topic

OK ..every couple of months I sell off all my new books.....I figure I'll be dead before they are worth anythig so I might as well get some cash back on them now.

Usually some kid buys them for 15.00 bucks for a set of 70 or so and I feel good about giving some poor kid a break since comics got to be expensive or even out of reach for most kids theses days.

Today I get this E-mail abouy my listing:

HI

I was writing to ask about the condition of the comics. Are the edges/corners

sharp, are there any stress marks on the spines or is the spine rolled at all?

Is there any discoloration of the comics or spotting (sometimes comics tend to

get weird black spotting on the cover especially ones with white covers)? Are

there any tears or bends or folding/wrinkling of the paper on the cover or

inside? Are the pages of the different comics white? Also, do you ship the

comics in bags and boards? Are these comics direct editions and first prints?

Thanks for your time, I am very interested in getting these comics from you—so

I’ll be waiting for your reply.

Thanks

Sean

--------------------

Question from: transfan2

Title of item: DC COMIC LOT 67 BOOKS NM/MINT NO RESERVE

Seller: jonnydouble

Starts: Jun-01-03 17:41:41 PDT

Ends: Jun-06-03 17:41:41 PDT

Price: Currently $0.01

To view the item, go to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2177529049

the books are a month old..is he kidding me...should I just block him now and avoid the negative feedback destined to come?

Jonny D. 893whatthe.gif

Jonny,

Give the poor kid a break. He is probably like 13 and this is his first bid. Give him the benefit of the doubt and answer his questions. If he comes back with even more annoying questions then block his [!@#%^&^].

27_laughing.gif

To me, most of them are legitimate questions any comic collector would ask.

You posted no scans of your books so nobody can actually look at them and judge your grading. Remember, most bidders probably don't know you. The more information you provided(scans, details of major defects) the less likely you will receive questions.

If it were me, I would answer his questions politely.

jd...the only bad question is the one that was never asked..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Let me ask you this question...By only looking at your auction...how would I be able to tell that the books are only a month old???

I'd block his hass no doubt about it. He may just be a newbie, but I smell someone who's gonna go through the books with a fine-tooth comb, and then whine he can't get a CGC 9.8 on some of them...

"I'm 12 and my mommy says she's gonna stop payment on her credit card, you '!"

It may seem harsh, but I have no time for hassles when blowing off ultra-cheap books, and I smell a real ' in this case.

I'd block his hass no doubt about it. He may just be a newbie, but I smell someone who's gonna go through the books with a fine-tooth comb, and then whine he can't get a CGC 9.8 on some of them...

"I'm 12 and my mommy says she's gonna stop payment on her credit card, you '!"

It may seem harsh, but I have no time for hassles when blowing off ultra-cheap books, and I smell a real ' in this case.

This is what I'm feeling...I once got a negative feedback on a book I sold for .35 cents..with a scan...I graded it as a fine and the buyer sent me a full page report on how it was really a fine -...I mean page by page description...and apologized for having to give me negative feedback.

J.D.

Sure, a polite reply is called for to provide some more general info about condition. However I wouldn't go to too much trouble or detail and explain why it's not worth the time on relatively new, low value comics.

I wouldn't blame the person for asking questions. What some sellers might call NM/mint vs what a comics collector would call NM/mint are a world apart. I've seen scans of so-called "Mint" comics that are obviously Good condition at best. To avoid getting burned badly, some detail needs to be requested to get some reassurance that the seller is being reasonable about the rated description.

I did answer his questions politelty...but cmon..the books are a month old...he is asking about spine rolls and page discoloration.

J.D

It looks like it could be a form letter he sends to all sellers of books he's interested in.

Up to you what you do with him...

But since I am the high bidder, could I get scans of page 7 from each comic? Thanks.... tongue.gif

Yeah, I'll have those scans going to you in just a second Lighthouse...I have the toaster on right now and I can't run both at the same time.....And just so you know these month old comics are not only nm/mnt but they are unrestored as well...I didn't put that in the description and I think that's important for everyone to know.....

Jonny D.

But since I am the high bidder, could I get scans of page 7 from each comic? Thanks.... tongue.gif

Yeah, I'll have those scans going to you in just a second Lighthouse...I have the toaster on right now and I can't run both at the same time.....And just so you know these month old comics are not only nm/mnt but they are unrestored as well...I didn't put that in the description and I think that's important for everyone to know.....

Jonny D.

Were they kept in a smoke-free home?

Jonny D.

absofrickinlutely...at a constant temperature of 72 degrees out of direct sunlight and turned twice daily to prevent curvature of the spine....

J.D.

Jonny D.

absofrickinlutely...at a constant temperature of 72 degrees out of direct sunlight and turned twice daily to prevent curvature of the spine....

J.D.

Only twice?

I'm out.... where's that button to cancel my bid?

Aw [!@#%^&^]... I'll guess I'll have to leave my bid on there and just hope I don't win... mad.gifinsane.gifcool.gif

JohnnyD: How will we KNOW they're unrestored until they come back from CGG ?

lmao

I have extensively examined each and every one of these month old books for the slightest bit of restoration......and I also want to add not one off these books was read in the bathroom.... so as not to expose the pages to any possible noxtious gasses that could posibly effect the color quality of the covers.

Jonny D. grin.gif

I think the buyer was merely trying to find out if the seller KNOWS what NM/MINT means. If I contacted a seller with questions about the condition of the books they're selling......I would expect a response. If I didn't get one, I wouldn't bid on any of that seller's auctions..........and I'd tell my friends to avoid him as well. As long as your response is accurate, I don't think there should be any problems. If you BLOCK this buyer, you may be turning down a potential repeat customer. If the books are NM/MINT as described, I can't see why the buyer would be anything but pleased........