• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pug Productions Comic Book Expos in NJ

12 posts in this topic

Anyone here ever go to the comic shows in Clifton , Wayne or Fairfield , NJ.

They have them every week ( Sunday ) and I have been getting the emails weekly but have not yet gone. Just curious if any of ya'll who are in the Tri State area have gone to one. Hey addmision is free for some of the shows.

If you are in the NJ-NY area and want to know more about this , here is an example email they send out ( Below) . I can get you the Email address if anyone has an interest. I plan on going soon but with work and Golf , family partys on sunday I get swamped and never make it. Let me know if anyone has gone and if it is worth it. Thanks.

Clifton Comic Book Expo

Sun, June 11th, 10am-4pm (The last Clifton show till Sept)

Admission: Free

Location: Clifton Community Recreation Center, 1232 Main Ave, Clifton, NJ. Easy, free parking behind building or on the street. Just blocks from Rt 46 if you're driving, or if you're coming from NYC, the bus from Port Authority stops at the door.

We'll have a wonderful variety of dealers from the Northeast with the best selection and prices on new, rare, and vintage comics.

All of our regular dealers will be there, along with some new guys... looks like a packed room!

Three of our regulars, Mike Ruggeri, Mike Williams and Chris of Wild Pig Comics will have an incredible selection of "bargain comics" this month only at $1 and less! Make sure your trunk is empty, because you'll be filling it up!

Our shows offer everything from Golden Age to this week's current comics. We have a great selection of comics for serious collectors and thousands of bargain comics (50 cents to $1) for beginners or folks that just love to be able to buy a stack and not break the bank.

DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Image, EC, Archie, Dell, Gold Key, Gemstone, Timely, Fawcett, Classics Illustrated, Charlton, Warren, lots of indies, and pretty much any publisher large or small that you can think of. Individual issues, runs, sets, graphic novels and more.

Our amazing no-minimum bid auction is at noon. At recent shows we sold stacks of

Bronze and Silver Age comics at less than half guide.Even some Golden Age. A DC Eighty Page Giant #1 worth $100 sold for only $30. X-Men #94 for only $48. Fantastic Four #50 for just $40. Boxes and boxes of current comics for an average price of $25 each, boxes of Silver Age for less than $100. Hot new titles for way below Wizard prices. New Teen Titans #1 & #2 for $25. Statues and action figures (vintage & current) at below dealer wholesale. And the hottest current comics for a fraction of eBay prices. What'll we have this month? Be there and find out.

This is a family oriented show. Bring the kids. (Comics are a great way to

get them to read. Heck, 4 of our dealers are actually teachers, so they should know.)

Keep comics fun!

Please feel free to forward this e-mail to any interested friends.

Other upcoming shows:

Wayne (Fairfield) 6/25

(No Clifton shows in the summer)

Wayne (Fairfield) 7/23

Wayne (Fairfield) 8/27

Clifton 9/10

Okay, here's my take. John Paul who runs the shows does a nice job and you have to admire his committment to getting these shows off the ground. They are small low key affairs. The show in Clifton has about 7 or 8 dealers who are basically guys just hanging out selling a few books. Wayne has a few more. Most of the dealers do not have HG stock.

Gary Platt, when he sets up in Wayne, is clearly the best dealer in the room. Has the most HG, has the most silver/bronze and is probably the most knowledgable dealer there.

John Paul himself will have a nice book or two, and his grading has improved, but has been spotty in the past.

There's a few other collector/dealers there look to dump inventory and try and sell some mid grade stuff. But those same guys actually do a decent job grading and give really sweet deals if that's what you're looking for.

I've never had any lack of success in finding a book or two there...

But don't go with any high expectations, expect to see low budget room, low budget dealers, friendly attitude, have some fun, and enjoy yourself. That's the good thing JP has done and maintained fro years.

My Interest is to take my son and have a good hour or two. I just didnt want to walk in and see three tables and 4 people. I was hoping the room would be kinda crowded. I pictured walking in and being one of the few people there and every dealer staring at me to buy something. That happened once at a small Comic Book Show in Staten Island over 10 years ago. Was at a local church and i was like one of three people there and all the dealers ( 8 of them) were staring at me like "buy from me" . Made me uncormfortable . lol.

Do they get a crowd??

And thank you by the way FoolKiller.

I've gone to these shows in the past and I love them. No offense, but, does there always have to be "high grade" books to make a show "good" all the freakin' time..??

My God, just seeing dealers and comic collectors in a room with no noise and ho's is worth the price of admission to me. A small show with lots of books is what you will get there.

Books are books and I love them all.

Hey Foolkiller, why are you so in "love" with Gary Platt....?? He seems like every other dealer to me who will buy low and sell high. I bought some X-Mens from him in Philly once and trusted the grades on the mylar only to get home and have them grade out lower due to detached centerfolds and general wear. I'll never buy from him again without opening any and all books.

I've been dealing with Gary for years. If you get those books like that and you return them you'd get your money back and then some.

He's paid me VERY well for books over the years and has given me some of the best deals on raw and slabbed books that I can remember from a non major dealer.

I've been dealing with Gary for years. If you get those books like that and you return them you'd get your money back and then some.

He's paid me VERY well for books over the years and has given me some of the best deals on raw and slabbed books that I can remember from a non major dealer.

I can respect that answer. Maybe I should have brought it up to him.

I met John over 20 years ago when I set up for my first show in Wayne back when Fred Greenberg was running them. It has been about 6 years since I have been back up North but the last time I was there I did his Clifton show and had a good time. Not alot of folks but enough to where I was able to justify the afternoon, and if you want to get some deals most of the dealers are small time and strapped for cash so a few benjamins can go along way. John told me, however, that the Wayne show was closer to the old shows I did in the 80's, more dealers and a bigger crowd but not so huge that you would get lost as a dealer or guest.

Bordentown is the central NJ place closest to me that used to have a show. Do they still? Had the setup and feel of the Clifton shows you guys are talking about. If you're a strict NM kind of collector, then you couldn't find anything, but there always was a wee bit of respectable early Silver Age to be had at very reasonable prices.

Think it was at Bordentown (or maybe it was Clifton) that I met Steve Borock, back when he was leaving the dealer biz and unloading his stock, because he was about to become the Head Grader at some newfangled comics grading company.

Whatever happened to that startup?