• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

Man, 50 hours with no posts, but showcase-4 bumped it. I thought for sure everything worth saying had finally been said.... wink.gif

I've been busy the past few days....I didn't "bump" this post ; it's just that I now once again have the opportunity to respond to all my loyal fans grin.gif

And it gets even better..Bob Beerbohm will be back in Nebraska tomorrow after attending the Baltimore Comic-Con......he is already contemplating what goodies to add this post...the re-education of America just keeps on comin' headbang.gif

..the re-education of America just keeps on comin' headbang.gif

This is a good example of the snide little jabs you like to throw in at the end of your posts. Also a good example of why some people think you're a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bag. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif

Nice pics, and as you can see, Obadiah has taken his place along with many others in their proper context as part of the very long and fascinating evolution of the comics medium. Our comic book library features everything from a 1500s German broadsheet to Obadiah and Jeremiah to the Yellow Kid and the Spider to BLBs and then those old familiar comics from Action #1 right up to Ultimate Spider-Man #1 and beyond.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm with the Doc on this thumbsup2.gif

As am I - no-one is really disputing the fact that OO is one of a long line of progenitors that led eventually to what we now refer to as the American comic book. And it quite rightly should be seen in that context (as stated in that paragraph), as part of a historical chain.

But not as centre stage, nor as a significant cultural marker, nor as a seismic shift in the medium, and particularly not as the de facto first American comic book. It played its' part, certainly, and is an important historical discovery. But there is no definitive "first American comic book", just as there is no definitive "first Silver Age book" or "first Bronze Age book".

The process was incremental, slow and attritional. OO was important, but only in that process.

And that's the last word, dammit!!! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

The last word is from Capt Geo Henderson CBC radio interview from early 70s which is from yesterday's post. The USA copied comicstrips that appeared in the UK from about 1845.

Action #1 off the rack caused a revolution because finally a comic character could fly!

OO is the foirst American "Graphic Novel! It shook up the world, and was closely followed by and led directly to Will Eisners 1970s classic "A Contract With God."

You forgot Gil Kane's "Blackmark" in-between the two, as it is the first American graphic novel and pre-dates "ACWG" by about 7 years smile.gif

But there is no definitive "first American comic book", just as there is no definitive "first Silver Age book" or "first Bronze Age book".

there certainly is a 1st Silver Age comic book - Showcase-4

"" """ "" 1st Bronze Age comic book - Spidey 121

"" "" "" 1st American Comic book - Obadiah Oldbuck

all 3 of these are examples of definitive 1st books, UNLESS proven otherwise. Should Obadiah Oldbuck be PROVEN not to be 1st, I will go throw-up for about 20 minutes, plan to send my kids to Community College instead a State University, and life will go on. Our entire hobby is based on "assumed absolutes" unless they are proven incorrect....CGC encapsulates a book with a blue label and no grader comments...it is 'denifitively unrestored' unless strong and new evidence proves it wrong. All American 16 feautures the 1st appearance of the Green Lantern...definitive ( once again, unless new evidence proves it to be wrong)

The entire hobby requires all of us to buy, sell and trade with a certain degree of "faith" ( not religous ) smirk.gif

But there is no definitive "first American comic book", just as there is no definitive "first Silver Age book" or "first Bronze Age book".

Nope.

It's Detective # 225, either Conan #1 or GL # 76, and who cares?

all 3 of these are examples of definitive 1st books, UNLESS proven otherwise. Should Obadiah Oldbuck be PROVEN not to be 1st, I will go throw-up for about 20 minutes, plan to send my kids to Community College instead a State University, and life will go on. Our entire hobby is based on "assumed absolutes" unless they are proven incorrect....CGC encapsulates a book with a blue label and no grader comments...it is 'denifitively unrestored' unless strong and new evidence proves it wrong. All American 16 feautures the 1st appearance of the Green Lantern...definitive ( once again, unless new evidence proves it to be wrong)

The entire hobby requires all of us to buy, sell and trade with a certain degree of "faith" ( not religous ) smirk.gif

Are you ever going to get that bad boy CGC slabbed? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The more you type, the less credibility you have.

The burden of proof lies on OO to be considered a comic book, which most people currently do not do. You can't just say it is and place the onus on the other side, that's just dumb.

Example, "Steve Meyer is a rapist until proven otherwise." Now the burden is on you to prove you're not. Until I see a signed affadavit from every person alive saying otherwise, you're under suspicion.

Does that make any sense?

Or is it Detective 225? That's also been credited as the first Silver Age book.

Much harder to pin down the 1st Bronze Age book, and it certainly isn't ASM 121. Some would say Conan 1, some Green Lantern 76. It's a matter of opinion, nor is it IMO one specific book.

Only according to you and Bob.

all 3 of these are examples of definitive 1st books, UNLESS proven otherwise.

None of them are (except possibly Showcase 4), and that's an absurdly specious argument - you can't just lump OO in with comics like Showcase 4 that have gained market acceptance, don't you know. tongue.gif

Should Obadiah Oldbuck be PROVEN not to be 1st, I will go throw-up for about 20 minutes, plan to send my kids to Community College instead a State University, and life will go on.

Okay, but I'd explain everything to your kids first. 27_laughing.gif

It has been proven, Our entire hobby is based on "assumed absolutes"

Maybe with first appearances of major characters, but not with comic ages, nor with theories regarding the mediums' development - you're deliberately confusing facts with opinion, here...

unless they are proven incorrect....CGC encapsulates a book with a blue label and no grader comments...it is 'denifitively unrestored' unless strong and new evidence proves it wrong.

Grading and restoration detection have nothing to do with this argument - they're mostly scientific. tongue.gif

All American 16 feautures the 1st appearance of the Green Lantern...definitive ( once again, unless new evidence proves it to be wrong)

Ah, but that's a simple fact about one character (as opposed to an entire medium) as well as something that has gained market acceptance (rather important phrase, there).

So this is about belief and opinion rather than facts, eh? tongue.gif

I suppose if you continue with your crusade for long enough there will be some kind of market acceptance - gotta keep thumping that tub!!! cool.gif

Much harder to pin down the 1st Bronze Age book, and it certainly isn't ASM 121. Some would say Conan 1, some Green Lantern 76. It's a matter of opinion, nor is it IMO one specific book.

None of them are (except possibly Showcase 4), and that's an absurdly specious argument - you can't just lump OO in with comics like Showcase 4 that have gained market acceptance, don't you know. tongue.gif

Should Obadiah Oldbuck be PROVEN not to be 1st, I will go throw-up for about 20 minutes, plan to send my kids to Community College instead a State University, and life will go on.

Maybe with first appearances of major characters, but not with comic ages, nor with theories regarding the mediums' development - you're deliberately confusing facts with opinion, here...

unless they are proven incorrect....CGC encapsulates a book with a blue label and no grader comments...it is 'denifitively unrestored' unless strong and new evidence proves it wrong.

Grading and restoration detection have nothing to do with this argument - they're mostly scientific. tongue.gif

All American 16 feautures the 1st appearance of the Green Lantern...definitive ( once again, unless new evidence proves it to be wrong)

Ah, but that's a simple fact about one character (as opposed to an entire medium) as well as something that has gained market acceptance (rather important phrase, there).

I suppose if you continue with your crusade for long enough there will be some kind of market acceptance - gotta keep thumping that tub!!! cool.gif

Hey Goldust,

You're pretty good at this debatin' stuff. 893applaud-thumb.gif

..and I do agree with you now that I think about it over the uncertaintity of the 1st Bronze Age comic book tongue.gif

Hey Goldust,

..and I do agree with you now that I think about it over the uncertaintity of the 1st Bronze Age comic book tongue.gif

893whatthe.gif You're being uncertain??? Begone!!! smirk.gif

893whatthe.gif You're being uncertain??? Begone!!! smirk.gif

Not to worry. Steve's absolutely confident that he's uncertain.

Jack