• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver and Golden Age Comparison. Which Was The Better Age?

15 posts in this topic

As far as I am concerned, there is no contest when it comes to silver and gold collection comparison. I would rather have a single complete golden age run than have 10 complete silver runs. No doubt. Silver has some incredible stuff (definitely) but not the depth and breadth of true classics that exists with the golden age. IMHO

Anyone else have an opinion?

If you're talking valuation, then the question isn't worth asking. It's like inquiring whether someone would like $100 or $100,000...

If you're talking purely stories, then I'll go with 1970-74 Marvel and DC, hands down.

It doesn't matter, as every poll we try and use is always swamped with the $$$ Hounds. Ask them if they would rather own a NM HOS 92 or GL/GA 76 and we'll see a long explanation of past, current and future values, along with potential flip-victims.

I'm as capitalist as the next guy, but I'll not shed a tear when the back-issue reaper comes a' calling.

If you're talking purely stories, then I'll go with 1970-74 Marvel and DC, hands down.

Its tough to compare stories because the periods were so different and the golden age guys were flying blind with no direction (or history). I do have to say that those golden age tales were simple and sometimes silly, but they are still the best. Thats like comparing the comic art between 1941 and today. Technically speaking, todays artists blow out the artists then. But i would rather own any old Kirby original from the 40s than the best artist today. To me they are true classics. But you are right, looking at it from stories ONLY the 70-74 Marvel group was on top of their game.

The golden age was superior there was just more innovation during that era. The EC comics period alone kicks most of the silver age's butt. There hasn't been another successful horror or sci-fi series like EC that has even come close to that type of quality. The GA also saw the introduction of the superhero back when it was fresh and new ideas were still being explored. Captain America, Flash, Superman, Batman, etc.. etc.. The Silver age saw the beginning of the FF and Spider-man but that still pales in comparison to the birth of all the characters from the GA.

Oh yeah..and compare the artists back then with the artists from the silver age or even now.

In the Golden age you had:

Al williamson

Frank Frazetta (a god amongst mortals)

Jack Davis

Graham ingels

Orlando

Wally wood

And a ton of other legendary figures who influenced Kirby himself.

Frank Frazetta alone is far superior than 99.9% of the silver, bronze, and modern age artists.

I like silver Marvel or DC from 1966 to 70 the best. Kirby FF, Ditko/Romita ASM, J Buscema Avengers, Kirby/ J Buscema Thor, Gil Kane GL/Atom, J Buscema S Surfer ! Still it is hard to beat the EC run of titles. goodevil.gif

Most enjoyable age for me is Atom Age, so I guess that falls under Gold Age. As a generalization, I'd be hard-pressed to choose between GA and SA superheroes. But being forced to choose, I'd have to go with GA. Not because they are "better" - they just make me smile more.

Although Golden Age interests me, Silver rules for me. That's when I was a kid and owning the books to this age gives me something to relate to. Often check the year (on page 2) whenever I read an old comic and ask - So what was I doing when this comic was for sale? Can't do that with a Golden Age. But, I do like reading the Golden Age stories in the Silver Age giants and actually own 3 Planet comics and a Superman 75.

Personally I prefer the SA as I grew up with the characters that were spawned then. I have a strong nostalgic connection with the Silver Age which I don't have for GA.

I also think that the Silver Age was the most creative period in comics history, during which time most of todays iconic characters were born. Speaking as a mainly Marvel fan of course. grin.gif

When I was reading those 100 page DCs in the mid 70s, I never cared for the golden age stories. The JSA against a street gang? The Flash discovering lost treasure? It took me a long time to begin to appreciate the work. Always liked the JSA from their appearences in the JLA.I perfer the late silver-early bronze age books I grew up on,but would not pass any judgement on which are superior to what. Now ,EC, thats a whole 'nother story!