• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shafted by Ebay due to technical problem

33 posts in this topic

i'm surprised they didn't extend the auctions as I have seen that happen when there was an outage.

When everyone signed up for Ebay, I'm sure we all read the User Agreement confused-smiley-013.gif

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-outage.html

Thanks for that link. The outage in my case was less than an hour, but the outage occured during the time the listings were ending. If I read that right, all fees associated with those listings should be credited. That's a little, but it doesn't cover the lost bids. I wonder if Ebay automatically credits the affected accounts or if they just wait for complaints. No credits on my account yet.

I wonder if Ebay automatically credits the affected accounts or if they just wait for complaints. No credits on my account yet.

eBay will not (normally) voluntarily refund listing fees - you really have to push the issue.

Politely reply to the e-mail you received from the eBay CSR and include the link to the outage policy and mention your goal - to obtain credit for the listing fees of those listings that were bonked during the outage.

If give them a list, all the better. That should light some little spark.

Larry

i'm surprised they didn't extend the auctions as I have seen that happen when there was an outage.

When everyone signed up for Ebay, I'm sure we all read the User Agreement confused-smiley-013.gif

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-outage.html

Thanks for that link. The outage in my case was less than an hour, but the outage occured during the time the listings were ending. If I read that right, all fees associated with those listings should be credited.

Ya think? I'm not sure. The way I read it, it says "since the outage was less than an hour, you get nothing refunded". I hope I'm wrong. Sorry sorry.gif

I wonder if Ebay automatically credits the affected accounts or if they just wait for complaints. No credits on my account yet.

eBay will not (normally) voluntarily refund listing fees - you really have to push the issue.

This is from my link above:

"In the event of a(n) ______ outage of one or more hours, eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings."

This is from my link above:

"In the event of a(n) ______ outage of one or more hours, eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings."

Yeah, since mine was less than an hour I'll have to push for it. Really, even losing the last 60 seconds of an auction can make a huge difference. I lost about the last 30 minutes. Thanks for the help. Kind of a pain, but there are certainly worse problems in life than this.

OK, for anyone following along, I talked to an Ebay customer service rep on the phone who was very helpful. Pretty quickly after explaining the issue to him he issued me some kind of a $50 credit that can be used to purchase anything on Ebay through PayPal. He then referred me to an online chat with the billing department to see if I can get my listing fees credited. THIS guy was kind of cold. I was PMing live with this character. After going back and forth for a while, he denied that I even had a problem, or at least that I needed to somehow prove my case, that I should have contacted them while the problem was still in effect. I went back and forth with the guy pointing out their policy (as stated in a link above), and pointed out how the problem was posted on the Ebay boards. He knew about this but was giving me the shaft due to the "less than one hour thing" (probably have that minimum in place because they know they can fix it within that time). So I persisted, he then caved in a bit and issued me a $20 credit. So, a total of $70 refunded and that's that. Oh well, one problem with Ebay in six years is not so bad. tongue.gif

One problem and by my account I think you did better than most would in those conditions.

I'm shocked he got anything other than the fees back. hail.gif