• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shafted by Ebay due to technical problem

33 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm not one to complain often but I just got shafted (although accidentally) by Ebay. Thanks to Scheradon for pointing it out to me as seen in this thread and through an e-mail: http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=0#Post1290812

I had several dozen upper mid-grade early BA House of Secret issues sold individually and ending earlier tonight. During the exact half hour or so that they were closing there was a glitch in the Ebay system where none of my books (and apparently many others seller's items) did not show up at all in the search function in addition to not showing up when hitting the link to see the seller's other auctions. So unless a bidder had been "watching" my auction, he would have no possible way to see or bid on any of my books ending at that time. The result of that is that most of my books sold for paltry sums. Luckily at least my VG+ copy of HoS #92 sold at a fair amount as it had many watchers due to it being a key book. Most others sold between $5 - $10 with many selling only to one bidder for my purposely low opening bids of $5. Sure, we are not talking big bucks here, but I was expecting $20 and up on many, maybe even up to $50 on some. An hour before this (before the Ebay problem) my ASM lots sold for very nice prices.

So I have complained in an e-mail to Ebay in several different places in their vast system. Whether they compensate me (or anyone) is doubtful, but I'll keep trying and keep bugging them until I get some kind of response. Although this sucks, I'm not really "mad" at Ebay as I realize the technical issues happen, but it will depend on how they respond to it which will get a real reaction from me. mad.gif

Although nobody likes paying Ebay fees, considering the service you are receiving for the fees you really shouldn't mind. What is your alternative? I certainly support competition, but I am wondering why anyone would should consider listing anything anywhere but Ebay. If a book I advertise on Ebay sells for $25 (instead of $20 on a smaller site) due to the incredible number of page views for my auctions then those fees and the Ebay system has served me well. You get what you pay for. When I see low dollar ($100 and under) books selling on small sites consistently realizing the same prices as on Ebay, I'll start to listen. Until then you should be happy to pay for the services that Ebay provides you.

I feel for ya, man! The same thing happened to me years ago when I had a bunch of Beatles 45's with picture sleeves closing- they went for alot less than I'm sure they would have with last minute (and second) bids. Christo_pull_hair.gif <--- could use a better emoticon (if available) to better show how I felt. yeahok.gif

Although nobody likes paying Ebay fees, considering the service you are receiving for the fees you really shouldn't mind. What is your alternative? I certainly support competition, but I am wondering why anyone would should consider listing anything anywhere but Ebay. If a book I advertise on Ebay sells for $25 (instead of $20 on a smaller site) due to the incredible number of page views for my auctions then those fees and the Ebay system has served me well. You get what you pay for. When I see low dollar ($100 and under) books selling on small sites consistently realizing the same prices as on Ebay, I'll start to listen. Until then you should be happy to pay for the services that Ebay provides you.

Did you read his post? I'm just not sure how your response has anything to do with what happened to his auctions. It comes off sounding like he should be happy their technical difficulties screwed him because they are the best alternative for selling.

Sorry, I think he's got a legitimate gripe here. I too was disappointed as a potential buyer, because he had several books I had intened to bid on, but couldn't. I think that when something like this happens, eBay should put a freeze on the auctions until the problem can be fixed or give a 24 hour extension to the listings to give a fair shake to the sellers and buyers.

As for an alternative venue, I would suggest trying to sell them right here in these forums. No eBay fees, and despite a non-paying person here or there, still a great place to buy and sell IMO.

Sorry this happened to you Sid, hopefully tomorrow nights auctions come off without a hitch.

John

Did you read his post? I'm just not sure how your response has anything to do with what happened to his auctions. It comes off sounding like he should be happy their technical difficulties screwed him because they are the best alternative for selling.

Sorry, I think he's got a legitimate gripe here. I too was disappointed as a potential buyer, because he had several books I had intened to bid on, but couldn't. I think that when something like this happens, eBay should put a freeze on the auctions until the problem can be fixed or give a 24 hour extension to the listings to give a fair shake to the sellers and buyers.

As for an alternative venue, I would suggest trying to sell them right here in these forums. No eBay fees, and despite a non-paying person here or there, still a great place to buy and sell IMO.

Sorry this happened to you Sid, hopefully tomorrow nights auctions come off without a hitch.

John

I have to agree with John whole heartedly, how does being ripped off for a service (e.g they made a mistake, are in no hurry to remedy it) your paying for, is meant to leave you feeling grateful? makepoint.gif

Blathering on about some hypothetical alternatives that doen't currently exist is just plain annoying, and not remotely helpful.

Think first.

yeahok.gif

excuse me if you're being facetious

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I am wondering if we read the same post?

Sid has a legitimate issue and it should be addressed by ebay in a timely manner, but it won't be. Sorry for the screwjob you received on your books.

Scott

did you just cut and paste that from your post in the bidoncomics thread or do you have that as a marcro?

I think the Carrot was just being "funny" with this post. I had actually written the above in another thread where the subject was simply based on comlaining about Ebay fees. Quite different subject than when a technical problem prevents people from being able to bid on your auctions. And yes, I still think Ebay is the best site out there for the small seller that wants to sell his books. At least that is, when the dang site is working properly. thumbsup2.gif

June 29, 2006 | 06:04PM PST/PT

For about 40 minutes starting 17:05 PST, some members may have seen errors while using Search to find items.

This issue has now been resolved.

Thank you for your patience.

Above posted in Ebay's Systems announcement board.

Canned e-mail I just received from Ebay:

Dear Sid,

Thanks for writing to eBay in regard to regarding items not appearing.

Thank you for reporting your item was not showing up when searching by

keywords in the title. Some items were not appearing consistently when

searching by title and our technical staff quickly fixed this error.

We apologize for any inconvenience due to this problem.

Sid, We thank you in advance for your cooperation, and wish you luck

with your future eBay transactions!

Sincerely,

Denise C.

eBay Customer Support Representative

boo.gif on me. Now it is time to get a little fired up. mad.gif

I think the Carrot was just being "funny" with this post. I had actually written the above in another thread where the subject was simply based on comlaining about Ebay fees. Quite different subject than when a technical problem prevents people from being able to bid on your auctions. And yes, I still think Ebay is the best site out there for the small seller that wants to sell his books. At least that is, when the dang site is working properly. thumbsup2.gif

Sorry to hear about this Sid. I know I'd be fuming if it happened to me. frustrated.gif

June 29, 2006 | 06:04PM PST/PT

For about 40 minutes starting 17:05 PST, some members may have seen errors while using Search to find items.

This issue has now been resolved.

Thank you for your patience.

Above posted in Ebay's Systems announcement board.

Canned e-mail I just received from Ebay:

Dear Sid,

Thanks for writing to eBay in regard to regarding items not appearing.

Thank you for reporting your item was not showing up when searching by

keywords in the title. Some items were not appearing consistently when

searching by title and our technical staff quickly fixed this error.

We apologize for any inconvenience due to this problem.

Sid, We thank you in advance for your cooperation, and wish you luck

with your future eBay transactions!

Sincerely,

Denise C.

eBay Customer Support Representative

boo.gif on me. Now it is time to get a little fired up. mad.gif

Kind of scummy but I bet you'd get a better response if you didn't accept the winning bidders money and didn't send out the books. When eBay comes knocking on your door you can explain the problem to a live representative. If nothing else, at least you get some sense of satisfaction and a real person to gripe too.

That does suk mad.gif

Personally, I would not accept the winning bid due to the technical problem from Ebay.

Its one thing when selling a raw book/slabbed book, and being disappointed with the winning bid and totally different when there is an Ebay glitch in the final hour of the auction.

I haven't used Ebay at all in two years and haven't used it consistantly in over 3 years. Even when I was a power seller I found their customer service to be poor. When I was first on Ebay I never really had any problems as a buyer or seller and then problems and headaches just came out of the wood work. I am pretty much able to find the things I want else where. But i guess if you are looking for a top census bronze book you would have to use it. I'd also rather realize a lesser price by selling else where, as time is money and there is less aggravation in not having to deal with the scammers and that began flooding Ebay awhile back.

That does suk mad.gif

Personally, I would not accept the winning bid due to the technical problem from Ebay.

Its one thing when selling a raw book/slabbed book, and being disappointed with the winning bid and totally different when there is an Ebay glitch in the final hour of the auction.

agreed. a reasonable bidder would also understand this.

That does suk mad.gif

Yeah, it suks, BUT considering that this has been the only glitch I have been a victim of in over six years of Ebay use, I'm not ready to give up on Ebay. If these were big dollar books I would refuse money and re-list. But under the circumstances I will let the auctions stand as is. But I'm not letting Ebay off the hook. Time to get a little medieval on their azz. devil.gif