• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko ASM #31 Complete Interior Artwork - Thoughts?

105 posts in this topic

The pages are now in the lead with about 1 day to go...

Interesting to see 2 key pages w/o Spider-Man top the page bids - it seems very likely that the individual pages will exceed the total book price. ASM #10 went for 161K and that had a number of battle pages and a great splash. This book has a great splash, a few key first appearances, and very few Spidey pages...

This auction continues to intrigue...

I have to say, the final prices look a little soft to me. Looks like the book is getting split up - the highest bid for the complete story was $156,797 ($184,236.50 with the juice) whereas the total of the individual pages was $172,483 ($202,667.50 with the juice). Only 3 pages broke the $10k mark - the splash, the page with Gwen & Harry's first appearance and the page where Gwen and Peter first meet. The median sale price was only $5,576 per page ($6,551.80 with the juice). Curiously, there were hardly any bids in the last few hours of the auction. Several prices were set days in advance, and the remainder were largely set by the morning/afternoon of the auction; I only saw a few bids placed in the evening.

Page 1 (splash) - $54,966 ($64,585 with the juice)

Page 8 (1st Gwen/Harry appearance) - $14,471 ($17,003 with the juice)

Page 10 (1st Gwen/Peter meeting) - $10,871 ($12,773 with the juice)

That is the most ditko offered all at once by an auction house that I can remember.

Usually you would see a complete story as a single lot, or you would see a couple of pages as individual lots.

There was bidding on 21 lots of Ditko Spidey all in one auction. I think that might have an effect on prices.

When was the last time anyone has seen that?

Chris

I agree that this might affect pricing. The splash went for more than was reported on Comiclink for the ASM 12 splash -- and at San Diego - OK, and I mean OK pages were offered at 15K-20K which many thought was way too high.

Interesting to see what happens the next time I see a Ditko Spidey page and ask the price and am told 20K. It will also be funny (but not ha, ha funny) to see a few of these pages reemerge at at least twice the purchase price.

Mid 1990s with the old Christies and Sotheby sales.

I kept all those catalogs. I don't remember one having 21 lots of Ditko spidey all at once. The complete stories were all offered as a single lot, and some scattered pages, nothing like this.

I think the pages canibalized themselves a bit.

That and the fact that this was cash only, no credit cards to assist had something to do with it too.

Chris

Page 1 (splash) - $54,966 ($64,585 with the juice)

Page 8 (1st Gwen/Harry appearance) - $14,471 ($17,003 with the juice)

Page 10 (1st Gwen/Peter meeting) - $10,871 ($12,773 with the juice)

I think the 8 and 10 pages got very good prices for "historical" character only pages with NO SPIDER-MAN! Perhaps the content of the other pages, the lack of a major villian and the payment terms combined justify the prices on the other pages? I'm a huge Ditko ASM fan but there was no one panel page in this issue that swept me off my feet.

I just posted this on ComicArt-L for those who want to keep score:

Here's how the math breaks down on the ASM 31 book. The high bid on the complete book was $184,237 whereas the total on the individual lots was $202,668, so the book will be broken up. All prices in this post include 17.5% bidder's premium.

PAGE PRICE NOTE

1 $64,585 spidey action splash

2 $5,956 spidey action

3 $7,207 spidey action

4 $7,929 spidey action

5 $7,207 spidey action

6 $6,552 college registration

7 $3,055 aunt may gets ill

8 $17,003 1: gwen stacy & harry osborn

9 $6,552 gwen/harry in 3 panels

10 $12,773 1: gwen meets peter (gwen 9 panels)

11 $5,956 lab prank/1st prof warren

12 $6,552 spidey in 2 panels

13 $8,722 webswinging + big college panel

14 $2,777 daily bugle, no peter

15 $4,474 peter/gwen in 3 panels

16 $8,722 gwen angry, spidey swinging

17 $5,414 spidey action

18 $6,552 spidey action

19 $8,722 spidey action

20 $5,956 spidey 3 panels

Thanks Gene,

That should help those that missed the auction.

However I think it helps to flesh out the description of those spidey action pages. Some of them are very weak, have spidey in a cloud of smoke rendered as an outline with no definiTion), or he is only on part of the page. I think that means alot of people paying this kind of money for art. I know I don't value a spidey page as high if it doesn't have a prime villain or if you really can't see spidey.

Iike the last page alot #20 because it shows off that Peter Parker inventiveness I remember as a kid where he would alter his web fluid or wear a gas mask and overcome the baddies.

This is how I would describe the pages in more detail.

Page 2 (spidey 3 of 6 panels, 2 of them very tiny)

Page 3 (spidey 2 of 7 panels but shown larger than in page 2, but obscured by cloud of smoke)

Page 4 (spidey in 6 of 6 panels, although microscopic size in 2 panels, and oscured by smoke in another).

Page 5 (spidey in 4 of 7 panels, 2 full figure shots, one head shot, one waist up from behind shot.)

Page 17 (spidey in 3 of 7 panels, 2 of those panels he is either partially or totally obscured by gas/smoke)

Page 18 (spidey in 6 of 7 panels, 2 of those spidey is teeny tiny, and in another he is almost totall obscured by smoke/gas)

Page 19 (spidey in 7 out of 8 panels, very small in two, great images of him in the rest of the panels)

Chris