• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tomorrows Treasures...

27 posts in this topic

He's at Heroes Con this weekend. He's not very friendly. He restores his own books. He's not very good at restoring his own books. He only discloses they are restored in certain situations as follows:

"It is my policy to identify ALL restored books where the restored defects are beyond the set of defects allowed for that grade. For example: A book is in Fine condition overall but has a small tear that has been sealed. This would be noted as FN (st) because the small tear is a defect outside the scope of a FN definition. A book graded a Fair+ would not be identified as a restored book if the defects that were restored (sealed tear, tape removal, color touch, etc.) are common to a book graded as Fair+."

"The removal of dirt, or the pressing of a crease will not fundamentally alter the structure or surface appearance of a book and therefore, is NOT restoration any more than washing or pressing a suit."

confused-smiley-013.gif

Tomorrows Treasures, I believe his name is Rich or Richard. I remember buying comics from him in the mid-late 1970's. He sold out of a van in the aqueduct flea market in Queens, NY.

He's at Heroes Con this weekend. He's not very friendly. He restores his own books. He's not very good at restoring his own books. He only discloses they are restored in certain situations as follows:

"It is my policy to identify ALL restored books where the restored defects are beyond the set of defects allowed for that grade. For example: A book is in Fine condition overall but has a small tear that has been sealed. This would be noted as FN (st) because the small tear is a defect outside the scope of a FN definition. A book graded a Fair+ would not be identified as a restored book if the defects that were restored (sealed tear, tape removal, color touch, etc.) are common to a book graded as Fair+."

"The removal of dirt, or the pressing of a crease will not fundamentally alter the structure or surface appearance of a book and therefore, is NOT restoration any more than washing or pressing a suit."

confused-smiley-013.gif

In a somewhat bizarre encounter with him yesterday, he quoted me a price of $750 for a raw Punch Comics #20 that looked 5.0 at best; no idea if it was restored. It's a shame because it looked like he had the most interesting inventory there.

Richie is an acquired taste. He has a spectacular inventory of Golden Age, but caveat emptor is the key with him. I've bought great books from Richie, and not so great books from Richie. On the whole, he's OK with me. Other people have vastly different perceptions of him.

Richard Muchin also used to set up at Tyson's Corner.You have to wait in line to speak with him and he can get angry if you interrupt him.His inventory is usually fantastic.I remember watching him show a "tec 28 to a guy once at around 2k and the guy said he thought it might be too high and Richie said,"PUT THE BOOK DOWN !".The guy ended up getting it.It did kind of crack me up.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

He sold out of a van in the aqueduct flea market in Queens, NY.

Are you saying he actually sold comics in a van down by the river?

1294274-Farley.jpg

He sho'nuff did............In a restored van. devil.gif

Richard Muchin also used to set up at Tyson's Corner.You have to wait in line to speak with him and he can get angry if you interrupt him.

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld only with comic books.

I've only dealt with him on 2 occassions. The first time I ordered a book listed as VF on his website. He e-mailed me back saying that after inspecting the book, it was more like a FN/VF, and whether I still wanted it at a discount. After accepting I sent the book to CGC and it came back as an unrestored 7.0.

I ordered another book from his website a few weeks ago, and after a couple of e-mail exchanges, he said that the book was probably sold a while back, and the website wasn't updated.

Here is his repsonse after I initially asked whether the book I ordered was restored or not:

"If the grade of the book is in VG or better, AND there are no qualifications to the grade in parentheses, then the book is completely UNRESTORED."

I've only dealt with Richard once, and it was a good experience... I bought a REX DEXTER #1 off him, in VG, which had amateur restoration to lower staple area (his own?), and maybe some color touch. I did have to bug him by phone to get his attention, but he sent scans, and actually lowered the price from the website price. In the end, the book met my expectations, and Richard was easy enough to deal with. He does have an interesting inventory.

My two cents.

(Nice "van down by the river"!) 893applaud-thumb.gif

Rich used to (maybe still does?) be at the Primate Productins Boston cons at the Raddison. DId a lot of business with him for pre-code horror and pre-hero Marvels. He got to recognize me and knew I would be good for some biz so he always treated me fairly. Let me examine the books as I wanted, would often pull a stack and just say "Go through these" and give me a "3 for/5for etc." price, which was weird because there would be pretty early Strange Tales and JIMs pre-codes mixed in with the pre-hero stuff. And in decent (vg-F) shape.

Yes, he is a bit, well, interesting in his manner. And he can get talking if things are slow. But overrall? Not bad at all from my experiences.

You couldn't pay me to deal with Richie Muchin. I would be hard pressed to outright call anyone a "liar" or basically unworthy of ever dealing with, but Richie Muchin fits the bill.

I would stay as far away from this guy as humanly possible, because I think he's one of the dealers essentially out there looking to rip the customer off.

Rich used to (maybe still does?) be at the Primate Productins Boston cons at the Raddison.

Rich Muchin has never been and never will be allowed to set up at a Primate Promotions show. I stake my repuation on only having reputable dealers at my shows like Jim Payette and Ted Van Liew. Not a scam artist with Frankenbooks! makepoint.gif

You are thinking of the Great Eastern days before they imploded. It's been ten years of Primate Promotions. makepoint.gif