• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's going on???

17 posts in this topic

The world has gone a bit nuts this week. Here are some E-mails I've received. Someone offered me $600 for an unsold ASM 5 CGC copy that I had up for $850. Just because no one bid $850 am I expected to take $600. I assume the customer is trying to open a negotiation. I have no interest. Does this happen often. I usually bid what I deem to be a fair price and the seller says yes or no. Two people made bids after the auction on books that I sold on E-bay. I have been offered trades in which I would be buying books I don't want at 130% of guide.

I received an E-mail from a customer in Taiwan wishing to wire money into my account. In the meantime I'm having trouble buying books I want at a price I'm trying to pay. Books for sale that I'm interested in seems a bit sparse. Does anybody have a read on the key ilver age book market/ Golden book market? thanks.

He may be trying to low ball just to see if he can get you to come down. Perhaps if you'd take less you should make a counter-offer instead of just ignoring him. What grade is the book?

Brian

I have no interest in negotiating. As I've stated If a book does not sell I make the seller a bid and he either accepts or not. A $600 bid on a ASM 5 (CGC 7.5) is like spam. I would rather test the market at a lower price if I chose to move the book than to deal with what I deem to be low bids. The worst that happens to me is that I sit with a piece of paper that is one day closer to becomming dust. If the market collapses, so be it.

I assume you're not in the business field as negotiations go on on a daily basis. Lowballing or foot in the door is a negotiating tactic and is effect for starting a negotiation to hopefully purchase something in a mutually amlicable situation. It seems however, you instead immediately got offended when someone makes you an offer.

Brian

It sounds like you're too sensitive and easily offended by counter offers. It's all business, even if someone lowballs you they are just testing the waters and it's a smart practice. Offering low and expecting a counter offer is a normal trade strategy. I'd rather offer low with a chance of someone accepting than try to go at the FMV with the chance of them jacking up the price in anticipation.

I negotiate all day. I just place bids I deem to be fair and listen to a fair offer ( I have traded equities, bonds, currencies, commodities) for over twenty years. Time is money. You lose my interest if you are not in the game at the starting point.

That's me. everyone's different.

I negotiate all day. I just place bids I deem to be fair and listen to a fair offer ( I have traded equities, bonds, currencies, commodities) for over twenty years. Time is money. You lose my interest if you are not in the game at the starting point.

That's me. everyone's different.

Spoken like a true "comic investor". smirk.gif

I'm never offended if someone sends me an offer for a book, don't care how high or how low it is. I always have the option of just ignoring it, but I usually try to start a friendly exchange and that often leads to even more sales. smile.gif

(By the way if it was the ASM 5 in 7.5, $600 is not what I consider an insulting offer, its only about 10 percent below what a few have been getting bids for recently. $600 is probably about where I would have started if I had some interest in the book. Some counter offers could have arrived at a fair price.)

If the bid was in line (within 10% or so) then that's reasonable. I am a buyer of a CGC ASM 5 with no real visible problems at $660. I haven't been able to buy any copies so I must have missed the few that are selling. I'll keep trying to buy another copy . Anyway, You wouldn't know that the auction was put up as a "one bid wins it" but the potential bidder did. Usually an aggressive seller would run an auction if he was interested in dumping the book. The auction would at least have been a reserve auction which failed to meet the reserve to indicate a possible motivation to move the book. At that point a bid somewhat equal to or somewhat above the last sale might be a reasonable offer. My original post was not to focus on this once incident but at the number of strange incidents I have found over the last day or so.

I just paid attention to some more of your original post. The part about the guy in Taiwan wanting to wire money into your account. That is odd. I'm not that familiar with wire transfers, but I think you have to give your account number for that, and that would be dangerous!

700. 800 not much difference. you still make a profit and move on...he might have gone higher, too. but you'll never know now.

But dont get me totally wrong---its your book and if you have a particular profit point you insist on here, then its your call. Its just that I and a few others think you were a little hasty dismissing an offer. Lets face it, you didnt get ANY on ebay at your price, right??