• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

20th anniversary of the premiere of "Big Trouble in Little China"!

49 posts in this topic

Nothing he did was better than Escape From New York...sumo.gif

Jim

The Thing is Carpenters best film.

Did you see "Halloween" in a theater, before the slasher movie "thing" became such a joke? It was Amazing .

Halloween #1, The Thing #2, Escape From New York #3.

Jim

Did you see "Halloween" in a theater, before the slasher movie "thing" became such a joke? It was Amazing .

Halloween #1

thumbsup2.gif Suspense trumps gore.

Wow didn't even see this thread before I changed my sig. line.

This movie is so great, definitely Kurt Russel's best. Though Halloween may be Carpenter's best. And like someone said, there is a ridiculous am't of quotes in this movie. I have the 2 disc special edition and the Carpenter and Russel are the commentary track, and it's obvious they had a lot of fun making it, and both comment that it's up there w/ their own personal favorites....

Jack Burton: You know what ol' Jack Burton says at a time like this?

Thunder: Who?

Jack Burton: Jack Burton... ME!

Jack Burton: [Pointing to Chinese writing on elevator] What does that say?

Wang Chi: Hell of Boiling Oil.

Jack Burton: You're kidding.

Wang Chi: Yeah, I am. It says Keep Out.

Jack Burton: [Pointing to Chinese writing on elevator] What does that say?

Wang Chi: Hell of Boiling Oil.

Jack Burton: You're kidding.

Wang Chi: Yeah, I am. It says Keep Out.

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Jim

That's the thing about Halloween that newbies will never get...it was an incredible, groundbreaking movie when it came out. Bar none...the greatest horror film released during it's time. Shamefully, it was relegated to minor film classic due to the plethora of imitations that followed it.

No one who wasn't there when it came out can truly appreciate what a great groundbreaking film it was...

Film historians like to credit Texas Chainsaw Massacre as the start of the slasher film craze. They are absolutely wrong. It was Halloween...the imitations didn't start until this flm was released...

And even I had forgotten the film when I said Escape was better... sorry.gif

It is by far the best of the Carpenter films...nothing comes close...

Jim

loved that movie. so many great quotes for all occasions.

son of a [embarrassing lack of self control] must pay!

I watch it once a year or so as it's usually on TBS or Encore or the like. Eventually going to breakdown and get the DVD.

and whoever mentioned Escape from L.A....mention not that smoking pile of dung again!! what a pathetic way to kill a great story.

One of my top ten of all time. Own the DVD and watch multiple times a year. The pork chop express is still rolling along after all these years.

Jim

That's the thing about Halloween that newbies will never get...it was an incredible, groundbreaking movie when it came out. Bar none...the greatest horror film released during it's time. Shamefully, it was relegated to minor film classic due to the plethora of imitations that followed it.

No one who wasn't there when it came out can truly appreciate what a great groundbreaking film it was...

Film historians like to credit Texas Chainsaw Massacre as the start of the slasher film craze. They are absolutely wrong. It was Halloween...the imitations didn't start until this flm was released...

Jim

I've pretty much learned to accept that some people weaned on "Friday the 13th Part VI", will never feel that Halloween is all that much more than a snoozefest.

It's just something you had to experience for the first time.

You just can't explain the difference between seeing a movie that original and scary in a theater versus seeing it on a 20" Sony in your living room.

thumbsup2.gif

Jim

Jim

I've pretty much learned to accept that some people weaned on "Friday the 13th Part VI", will never feel that Halloween is all that much more than a snoozefest.

You just can't explain the difference between seeing a movie that original and scary in a theater versus seeing it on a 20" Sony in your living room.

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif Agreed...there are few movie experiences quite like it.

Jim

Jim

Jim

thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif Agreed...there are few movie experiences quite like it.

Jim

thumbsup2.gif Agree as well.

BTW, the current installment of the Halloween franchise now has Rob Zombie set to direct it with this plot outline:

A throw back Halloween film in which it goes back to the roots of the classic.

I've been wanting them to try this for awhile. I just wonder if they can recapture a bit of the essence of the original though. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I actually knew the screenwriter for Halloween 6. He wanted it to be a true "sequel" showing the kids JLC babysit all grown up and traumatized and trying to deal with Michael coming back. Of course, his -script got completely changed in production. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Okay, you bastards, I haven't seen "Big Trouble in Little China" since the day it came out, so I just ordered it and "They Live" off amazon. If they suck, you all owe me $22. sumo.gif

Jim

Jim

thumbsup2.gif

I can relate to what you're saying here. I loaned someone a copy of The Warrior's to a guy I work with about a month or so ago because he'd never seen it. I was all jazzed to loan it out and couldn't wait to talk to him about how cool of a movie it is...

Well, he came in after watching it and said, "Yeah, it's ok. I guess I can see why you thought it was cool." So it got me to thinking about how I first experienced it, from the poster in the theater lobby to seeing "gang" New York, etc. as a kid who shouldn't-have-been-in-a-Rated-R-movie-but-was-anyway. It's a whole different perspective that lasts.

Jaws is probably the same way for kids today. I couldn't sleep after that movie and I was land-locked at the time. De-sensitivation has ruined the classics...

Jim

Jim

thumbsup2.gif

I can relate to what you're saying here. I loaned someone a copy of The Warrior's to a guy I work with about a month or so ago because he'd never seen it. I was all jazzed to loan it out and couldn't wait to talk to him about how cool of a movie it is...

Well, he came in after watching it and said, "Yeah, it's ok. I guess I can see why you thought it was cool." So it got me to thinking about how I first experienced it, from the poster in the theater lobby to seeing "gang" New York, etc. as a kid who shouldn't-have-been-in-a-Rated-R-movie-but-was-anyway. It's a whole different perspective that lasts.

Jaws is probably the same way for kids today. I couldn't sleep after that movie and I was land-locked at the time. De-sensitivation has ruined the classics...

I wasn't born when either the Jaws or Halloween came out but they are two of my favorite movies. Jaws is my favorite movie of all time. While Halloween is probably in my top 10.

I think you are exactly right. Many of our perceptions are based on the primal feeling we still have from our first experience watching the film.

For instance, when I ask my Mom what her scariest all-time film would be she says Psycho, while the majority of mine come from the late 70's early 80's cause that's when I was an impressionable kid as you say who shoudn't-have-been-in-a-Rated-R-movie-but-was-anyway.

Here's an example of ealry impression. My mom took me with her to see Dressed to Kill with Angie Dickenson when I was a kid and I remember her asking the attendent if this movie was bad (in a dirty way) and he said "not really". Well, she ended up walking out of the movie with me at the point of the taxi cab love scene. I remember that being such a big deal...such a dirty scene as I tried my best to peak through my Mom's fingers. Well, it was on the other day, and I have to admit I was anxious to see that scene again. I was sitting here scratching my head after seeing it. Where was this built up "dirty" part I had been anticipating? It was in my child's mind...nothing but a past feeling and memory of what I percieved back then. No one watching it now would get it.

Same thing for all kinds of movies and the feelings we have for them.

BTW, I loved the Warriors and just watched my DVD about a week ago. Another good one was the Wanderers from around the same period.

BTW, I loved the Warriors and just watched my DVD about a week ago. Another good one was the Wanderers from around the same period.

That part in the Wanderers were the dad welcomes his daughters boyfriend (who got her pregnant)into the family by kneeing him in the cajones was CLASSIC.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif