• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Books that are over priced in the guide

48 posts in this topic

I thought it might be interesting to post opinions on books that seem to be overpriced in the guide based on the recent Whiz #1 comments. I will start it off with some of the books on my list.

1. New York Worlds Fair 1940 - this book seems pretty common and never seems to go for guide. I myself would love to have a copy but there always seems to be something I want more.

2. World's Best 1 - same reason, I see it for sell very often, but it never seems to sell for that much and many copies never hit reserve.

3. All Flash 1 - how many copies of this book are there? Seems at any time you can find several available in a wide range of grades. I like the cover, but never real high on my list.

One group of books I would take off my previous list are the Disney titles from the 1940s. Definitely hotter now and the artwork has a timeless appeal.

Any thoughts?

I believe the mid-grade books are overpriced. I own a CGC 5.5 copy of All-Flash #1 and I paid a pretty penny for it. I have no regrets since I like this black cover book. I was surprised to see 20 copies grade higher than my copy. Maybe the market is just saturated at the moment. I would say Red Raven #1 is overpriced. With 20 copies already certified, I don't see the demand readily meeting the supply.

I thought it might be interesting to post opinions on books that seem to be overpriced in the guide based on the recent Whiz #1 comments. I will start it off with some of the books on my list.

1. New York Worlds Fair 1940 - this book seems pretty common and never seems to go for guide. I myself would love to have a copy but there always seems to be something I want more.

2. World's Best 1 - same reason, I see it for sell very often, but it never seems to sell for that much and many copies never hit reserve.

3. All Flash 1 - how many copies of this book are there? Seems at any time you can find several available in a wide range of grades. I like the cover, but never real high on my list.

One group of books I would take off my previous list are the Disney titles from the 1940s. Definitely hotter now and the artwork has a timeless appeal.

Any thoughts?

World's Best #1 may be in worse demand than it looks. I keep seeing the same 7.0 copy for sale with no takers....

Any thoughts?

What is overpriced to one is underpriced to another. poke2.gif

But if you want to phrase it more in the order of which books consistently fail to attain the value suggested by Overstreet ( makepoint.gif27_laughing.gif), then you are dead on regarding the above three books.

I would also include Green Lantern #1.

Any thoughts?

What is overpriced to one is underpriced to another. poke2.gif

But if you want to phrase it more in the order of which books consistently fail to attain the value suggested by Overstreet ( makepoint.gif27_laughing.gif), then you are dead on regarding the above three books.

I would also include Green Lantern #1.

Ummmm, he did phrase in in the order of books that consistenty fail to attain Overstreet value.

I believe the mid-grade books are overpriced. I own a CGC 5.5 copy of All-Flash #1 and I paid a pretty penny for it. I have no regrets since I like this black cover book. I was surprised to see 20 copies grade higher than my copy. Maybe the market is just saturated at the moment. I would say Red Raven #1 is overpriced. With 20 copies already certified, I don't see the demand readily meeting the supply.

I also like the cover to All-Flash 1. I think it is one of the better Flash images on a cover but it does seem the supply outstrips the demand at the current prices.

I just remembered the other book that never seems to sell, Big All-American Comics #1. Again, this is a book I would love to have, but at the current prices, I always find something elese I want more so I continue to pass, but I still love the cover.

Also Comic Cavalcade #1 is a book I would add to the list.

All this being said, I sold my CC #1 CGC 8.5 for a nice record price, and I recently sold my NY World's Fair 1940 CGC 7.0 at guide I believe.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow! You know, there are a lot of people on this board who sell GA comics (I'm not one of them, but I know who they are), and I can't remember anyone reporting such consistent success at selling like you do. Maybe Timely, before he started working for CGC, but I'm guessing you've eclipsed him as well.

I sure think a lot of long-time GA posters could learn a ton from you. You really should start a thread discussing your techniques and why/how you're so successful. I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated.

All this being said, I sold my CC #1 CGC 8.5 for a nice record price, and I recently sold my NY World's Fair 1940 CGC 7.0 at guide I believe.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow! You know, there are a lot of people on this board who sell GA comics (I'm not one of them, but I know who they are), and I can't remember anyone reporting such consistent success at selling like you do. Maybe Timely, before he started working for CGC, but I'm guessing you've eclipsed him as well.

I sure think a lot of long-time GA posters could learn a ton from you. You really should start a thread discussing your techniques and why/how you're so successful. I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

I have noticed that he has a few books that sit for quite a while on his site but overall he seems to have pretty good luck turning around keys for a profit. But then again the only difference between a Lawyer and a Salesman is that the Salesman doesn't have to pass the Bar. poke2.gif

so far this has been a very depressing thread to read.

Among the GA books that I have are

Big All American #1 (CGC 6.0)

Green Lantern #1 (restored)

World's Best #1 ( restored)

Comic Cavalcade #1 ( CGC 6.0)

New York World's Fair 1939 (CGC 5.5) & 1940

I have several others that have not yet been disparaged, but I am not holding my breath

so far this has been a very depressing thread to read.

Among the GA books that I have are

Big All American #1 (CGC 6.0)

Green Lantern #1 (restored)

World's Best #1 ( restored)

Comic Cavalcade #1 ( CGC 6.0)

New York World's Fair 1939 (CGC 5.5) & 1940

I have several others that have not yet been disparaged, but I am not holding my breath

The prices may be stagnant, but they are still great books!

I am a Batman collector and upper mid grade and below almost always go for less than guide even if graded!