• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Books that are over priced in the guide

48 posts in this topic

so far this has been a very depressing thread to read.

Among the GA books that I have are

Big All American #1 (CGC 6.0)

Green Lantern #1 (restored)

World's Best #1 ( restored)

Comic Cavalcade #1 ( CGC 6.0)

New York World's Fair 1939 (CGC 5.5) & 1940

I have several others that have not yet been disparaged, but I am not holding my breath

27_laughing.gif Man, are you taking it on the chin!

Take comfort in the fact that no matter what you collect, they'll be plenty of folks to tell you how silly you are to have such boring, over-valued comics in your collection.

As one fellow board member put it recently:

"Buy what you what you like that you can afford, but not what I like, cause I'm buying that." thumbsup2.gif

I have several others that have not yet been disparaged, but I am not holding my breath

FWIW, I don't remember seeing the 1939 WF book disparaged yet on this thread, just the 1940. An unrestored 5.5 1939 WF is frickin' awesome!

Also Comic Cavalcade #1 is a book I would add to the list.

All this being said, I sold my CC #1 CGC 8.5 for a nice record price, and I recently sold my NY World's Fair 1940 CGC 7.0 at guide I believe.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Wow! You know, there are a lot of people on this board who sell GA comics (I'm not one of them, but I know who they are), and I can't remember anyone reporting such consistent success at selling like you do. Maybe Timely, before he started working for CGC, but I'm guessing you've eclipsed him as well.

I sure think a lot of long-time GA posters could learn a ton from you. You really should start a thread discussing your techniques and why/how you're so successful. I'm sure that would be greatly appreciated.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

FWIW, I don't remember seeing the 1939 WF book disparaged yet on this thread,

I'm sure we could get a volunteer disparager, if we asked politely. poke2.gif

You might as well give up and just send those books to me. Heck, I might even be willing to pay for the shipping angel.gif

But seriously, I'd give my right arm to have WB #1 and the two NYWF books.

I think it's more than just Golden Age. Lots of Silver/Bronze books, especially lower than VFNM are going below guide levels. Modern, in most cases seems to be high in the guide as well.

A modern example:

Detective Comics 575-578 (Year Two: Todd McFarlene) is $20.00ea in Near Mint-

I bought a set a few months ago for $9.95 in Near Mint. I've also seen other sets of the these books going for abou the same. That would make the overstreet guide off by $70.00 for those a run of that story line.

Sir, Private tth2 reporting for duty, sir! hi.gif

I think the OPG is becoming pretty irrelevant these days. Between realized eBay sales on SA and up books lower than 9.0 being significantly less than OPG prices, and books in higher grade selling for... whatever crazy prices, there are fewer and fewer things you can accurately gauge value for by using the Guide.

I would say that on GA books the guide is the MOST accurate...

I would say that on GA books the guide is the MOST accurate...

Except for classic GGA or War covers that need to be broken out and increased in value.

I agree with that, but even with books like those (and some of the books I collect such as Archie 1-9 and Pep 22-50) the Guide is only off by a couple of times value. In the case of a lot of the SA and later books, the Guide can be off by an order of magnitude or more--in either direction depending on book and condition. So, I do believe that the Guide is most accurate for GA, just not very...

I'll agree that most Disney books (including Barks' Ducks) in mid-grade are overpriced, in that they fail to meet guide.

High grade Barks' ducks (8.0+) tend to sell for guide and up nearly 100% of the time. In fact, the closer you get to 9.0+ you'll see many multiples of guide.

"Fawcetts"

I've sold about 10 different captain marvels (various titles) over the last year and not one of them went for under guide. They ranged from poor/fair to a Fine+ (slabbed).

(granted, the 3 slabs I sold were probably only like $10-$15 over guide each, so, factoring in the grading fee someone else had paid, it's below guide (though 2 of them sold with BINs within 6 hours of listing, so perhaps in auction format they would have done better), nor have I tried to sell any mid-grade raw copies. Perhaps I won't do so well on those.)

I thought it might be interesting to post opinions on books that seem to be overpriced in the guide based on the recent Whiz #1 comments. I will start it off with some of the books on my list.

1. New York Worlds Fair 1940 - this book seems pretty common and never seems to go for guide. I myself would love to have a copy but there always seems to be something I want more.

2. World's Best 1 - same reason, I see it for sell very often, but it never seems to sell for that much and many copies never hit reserve.

3. All Flash 1 - how many copies of this book are there? Seems at any time you can find several available in a wide range of grades. I like the cover, but never real high on my list.

One group of books I would take off my previous list are the Disney titles from the 1940s. Definitely hotter now and the artwork has a timeless appeal.

Any thoughts?

Leading Comics #1- tough to even give away

Sir, Private tth2 reporting for duty, sir! hi.gif

When we want your disparagement, we'll beat it out of you. makepoint.gif

p.s. please don't kill me when we meet in San Diego. flowerred.gif

I thought it might be interesting to post opinions on books that seem to be overpriced in the guide based on the recent Whiz #1 comments. I will start it off with some of the books on my list.

1. New York Worlds Fair 1940 - this book seems pretty common and never seems to go for guide. I myself would love to have a copy but there always seems to be something I want more.

2. World's Best 1 - same reason, I see it for sell very often, but it never seems to sell for that much and many copies never hit reserve.

3. All Flash 1 - how many copies of this book are there? Seems at any time you can find several available in a wide range of grades. I like the cover, but never real high on my list.

One group of books I would take off my previous list are the Disney titles from the 1940s. Definitely hotter now and the artwork has a timeless appeal.

Any thoughts?

Leading Comics #1- tough to even give away

Definitely! I don't know anyone that collects that title (although I am sure there are some). I would also put Daredevil (golden age, which I have issues 1 and 2 of) and even Star Spangled (one of my favorites, but the high grade copies just seem to linger around ...)

Leading Comics #1, Star-Spangled Comics #1, both excellent calls.

I'll add Uncle Sam Quarterly #1 and All-American #1 to that list. It's funny how tough to find All-American's #2-#15 are, when #1 pops up everywhere.

New Comics #1 is also much, much, much easier to find than its subsequent counterparts, which affects the price it realizes for sure.