• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I overpay?

15 posts in this topic

F.F. 40

Actually, I'm glad I found such a nice copy at all. A 9.0 with Off-White pages sold over the weekend for $243, so this one looked like a comparative bargain. And there are only 12 copies graded thus far in 9.2 or better. Very tough book.

Funny thing is, six months ago, I would have thought three times Guide for this book was outrageous. Ah, the benefit of experience in the wild and whooly CGC market grin.gif

The average price for that book seems to be below $280 (for the two that sold in the last 6-7 months)

I know of one that sold privately in the $350-375 range, several months ago. But $280?

If anyone has a nice 9.2 and would like to sell it for $280, I'll be happy to buy it! Of course, there has been a considerable upswing in F.F.s recently, which influenced my decision to purchase.

umm.. according to Gpanalysis.com a 9.2 sold in Nov 2002 for $255.00. Another sold for $299.00 in Jan 2003.

Recent eBay auctions:

FF #32 in 9.2 $419.00

FF #36 in 9.2 $410.00 (First Medusa)

FF #41 in 9.2 sold recently for $213 and for $203.53.

FF #52 in 9.2 $457.00 (1st Black Panther)

FF #53 in 9.2 sold for $232.

FF #61 in 9.2 $92

FF #66 in 9.2 $180

FF #69 in 9.2 $130

FF #84 in 9.2 $133

FF #85 in 9.2 $100

umm.. according to Gpanalysis.com a 9.2 sold in Nov 2002 for $255.00. Another sold for $299.00 in Jan 2003

Thanks for the pricing info. Its always good to know when you're pushing the pricing barrier to new levels. crazy.gif

Not being a GPanalysis.com subsriber, is that the most current pricing info they have for sales? By the way, I think I realize the sale for $299. It was on ebay, but the seller told me the buyer backed out. He ended up selling the book privately for more than that.

Funny thing is, six months ago, I would have thought three times Guide for this book was outrageous. Ah, the benefit of experience in the wild and whooly CGC market

It is outrageous, don't kid yourself. Of course, I do it to every now and then so I'm with you.

It is outrageous, don't kid yourself. Of course, I do it to every now and then so I'm with you.

Yeah, I certainly didn't score a "deal" by any means. This was one of those "I'm glad to have it, despite the cost" type purchases which I've been making more of recently. Seems like thats going to be the norm if I want to keep collecting high end certified F.F.s.

umm.. according to Gpanalysis.com a 9.2 sold in Nov 2002 for $255.00. Another sold for $299.00 in Jan 2003

Thanks for the pricing info. Its always good to know when you're pushing the pricing barrier to new levels. crazy.gif

Not being a GPanalysis.com subsriber, is that the most current pricing info they have for sales? By the way, I think I realize the sale for $299. It was on ebay, but the seller told me the buyer backed out. He ended up selling the book privately for more than that.

High grade early FF's don't show up on eBay very often and if you want em in high grade, you better grab em when you see em. The highest grade on eBay for an FF #40 in the last year is 9.2 and there have only been 2 - one was the $299 auction you mentioned in January of this year and another one for $255 in November last year. FF's are MUCH harder to find than similarly numbered copies of Amazing Spider-Man. ASM #40 for example has had a dozen auctions in 9.2 in the last year, about the same number in 9.4, and even a couple in 9.6 (it WAS kind of a special Green Goblin issue though).

Another comparison: in the last year there have been 221 auctions for Amazing Spider-Man #1 (in all grades) while there have been only 61 auctions for Fantastic Four #1 (in all grades).

smile.gif

FF's are MUCH harder to find than similarly numbered copies of Amazing Spider-Man.

A lot of this has to do with age. I see it all the time, especially with FF issues. The numbers can be deceiving, and many FF issues don't seem as old, until you actually compare books from the same month/year.

A lot of this has to do with age. I see it all the time, especially with FF issues.

Oh really, you see it all the time? I didn't know John Byrne worked with Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, or Steve Ditko before 1965!

"I'm CI, and I know everything...let me tell you about the early Silver Age Marvel market that I'm an expert on... 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif..."

Jive, I don't know if you overpaid or whatever but that seller is A+. I've bought from him twice and we're working on a third transaction. He ships well, and quickly. Plus you're getting about 12 dollars worth of shipping free. He went to school in Iowa so he obviously must be awesome. tongue.gif

Brian

Jive, I don't know if you overpaid or whatever but that seller is A+. I've bought from him twice and we're working on a third transaction. He ships well, and quickly. Plus you're getting about 12 dollars worth of shipping free. He went to school in Iowa so he obviously must be awesome.

Well, I'm not so sure about the whole Iowa thing... smirk.gif

..but yes, I've bought a number of his F.F.s the past few months, and am hoping for more. Very prompt and professional gentleman. Wish they were all like him on ebay.

I agree with Murph. The seller is A-1 and from what I've seen of his items, he usually is not the beneficiary of "gift" grades. Without a right of return on CGCed items this is an important factor in buying "blind" (slabbed books...small scans). If this seller has a CGC 9.2 chances favor that it will be a solid, high-end 9.2 and not some wanna-be 8.5/9.0 in a questionable 9.2 labeled slab.

This is a tough issue and I'll bet based on my above observations, that you came up with a winner, even at that seemingly high price of admission.

For all of you who care, I received the F.F. 40 today, and wow, what a nice book! If ever there was a poster child for a strictly-graded pre-1966 CGC 9.2, this book would be it!

You know, two years ago, I never would have sweated buying a 9.2 or 9.4, because back then, I simply didn't see all of the over-graded POS copies that are floating around now. I thought CGC was supposed to take the risk out of buying, not make the proposition a roller coaster ride of anticipation, letdown and/or joyful relief.