• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you a geek?

60 posts in this topic

Yeah, I don't understand how some of these guys got so high either. I think if you're not into computers or gaming, you can't get very high. All my points came from TV watching.

I think my geek factor is increased because I'm a little older than most of you guys (50). I went through ALL of the Star Trek, Star Wars, etc movies and series (loved em all). Loved the Highlander series. I play chess, and any kind of card game you can name. Back when I went to school we didn't have video games. You played cards or snuck into the computer center late at night to play very primitive (by today's standards) Star Trek computer games. When I started to college we used slide rules for heavens sakes! The math department had just got in a couple of very expensive Wang calculators that we played with like you do games on a PC today! And yes, I really do have a 3 color pen in my shirt pocket right now - along with a nice black fountain pen and a normal blue ballpoint. grin.gif

Oh yeah, and I wrote educational PC video games for 6 years using the Peanuts characters licensed from Charles Shulz (a really nice guy by the way). Now writing computer games - that is geeky.

I think my geek factor is increased because I'm a little older than most of you guys (50). I went through ALL of the Star Trek, Star Wars, etc movies and series (loved em all). Loved the Highlander series. I play chess, and any kind of card game you can name. Back when I went to school we didn't have video games. You played cards or snuck into the computer center late at night to play very primitive (by today's standards) Star Trek computer games. When I started to college we used slide rules for heavens sakes! The math department had just got in a couple of very expensive Wang calculators that we played with like you do games on a PC today! And yes, I really do have a 3 color pen in my shirt pocket right now - along with a nice black fountain pen and a normal blue ballpoint. grin.gif

Uh, sorry there but your score is well-deserved. I'm 47 and went through ALL th Star Trek/Star Wars movies. But...

did not like Highlander

don't play chess

don't play card games

never snuck in a computer center to play Star Trek games

Wang calculator? Don't even know what that is.

Don't have a 3 color pen in my shirt

nor a black fountain pen

and I do not have a normal blue ballpoint.

So, I scored a 3.7 something. grin.gif

Be Proud.

893whatthe.gifActually, our scores are all higher 'cause it didn't ask if we're involved in the CGC comic forum. So everyone, please add "1" to your totals. We have to be fair, right!

And if your bug or greggy, you have to add "2" to your total.

Again, it's only fair. grin.gif

But seriously, the question isn't whether you *like* Highlander, but just whether you saw it..

I had to put down EPS 1 (shudder) because I watched it in the theatre and then got a free copy with a DVD player that I slapped in just to see if it was really as bad as I remembered it..

Yep!

I

Uh, sorry there but your score is well-deserved. I'm 47 and went through ALL th Star Trek/Star Wars movies. But...

did not like Highlander

don't play chess

don't play card games

never snuck in a computer center to play Star Trek games

Wang calculator? Don't even know what that is.

Don't have a 3 color pen in my shirt

nor a black fountain pen

and I do not have a normal blue ballpoint.

So, I scored a 3.7 something. grin.gif

Be Proud.

I AM A GEEK GOD! Bow down before me! 27_laughing.gif

Don't like Highlander??? Blasphemy! My wife and I own the tapes of the first 3 seasons of the TV series. We've watched them all at least twice (not counting late night TV reruns). (I think it may be an acquired taste. You have to watch several episodes to 'get' it.) cool.gif

Don't like Highlander??? Blasphemy! You have to watch several episodes to 'get' it.) cool.gif

Umm, I don't get it.

Nope, didn't like the movies. (ok I saw them ONCE, not twice) So, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked the series. But you're right, sometimes you have to watch a few episodes to try and like something. Liked Daredevil better. And that movie I saw twice. Think that's one that JC didn't like. Wonder if he saw it twice. If he did, he's going to have to add "1" to his store too. (Be honest now JC - and if I hit a sore spot, don't go off into a tangent now ok. grin.gif)

So, maybe now I'm a 5.7 something?

JC is there hope for me?

Don't like Highlander??? Blasphemy! You have to watch several episodes to 'get' it.) cool.gif

Umm, I don't get it.

Nope, didn't like the movies. (ok I saw them ONCE, not twice) So, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked the series. But you're right, sometimes you have to watch a few episodes to try and like something. Liked Daredevil better. And that movie I saw twice. Think that's one that JC didn't like. Wonder if he saw it twice. If he did, he's going to have to add "1" to his store too. (Be honest now JC - and if I hit a sore spot, don't go off into a tangent now ok. grin.gif)

So, maybe now I'm a 5.7 something?

JC is there hope for me?

The TV series is actually better than the movies once you get into it. They had continuing story lines, some episodes were very serious, some campy, some just plain funny.

32% - Total Geek. Just like my wife keeps telling me... Sheesh!

me: "Honey. You were right... and here's an online test that proves it."

her: "Online Geek Test? Add some more points to your total, dear."

11.04536 Geekish tendancies I suppose.

I can live with that. My total disregard for anything Star Wars helped me a lot.

The TV series is actually better than the movies once you get into it. They had continuing story lines, some episodes were very serious, some campy, some just plain funny.

Definitely agree with this one. The movies - well, the first two films were good but after that? Gawd, talk about crack!

The series? VERY nicely done. Beautiful continuity over long periods of time. Some truly enjoyable one-shots (like the Claudia Christian episode - does anyone know the ep # or even what season that one was - it was hilarious and a great fave!) I was shocked a few weeks ago to find Season 1 of Highlenader TV series on dvd. I snapped it up and it confirmed the above thoughts.

Sometimes, a movie has to compress too much or stick to a single main theme - but a series, if done well, can truly transcend the movie it is based on (Buffy is a good example of that.) And a series can, when written by good writers, basically RELAX and just spin a yarn over several episodes.

The Batman films - man, I wish some folk along the quality of the Buffy writers would do a Batman TV show. I LOVED the first 1/4 of the first Batman - the feel was like a combo of Wrightson's Swamp Thing 7 and Dark Knight - VERY gritty - VERY dark - VERY nicely done. But then it just started going over the top and thenit went over THAT top and - well - same with the Catwoman film - she was GREAT in the first 1/4 or so - then things got nuts (Catwoman FAR overshadowed Penguin IMHO).

Anyway- television is STILL the lesser filmic media, but it actually offers so much more potential. Wish some creative teams would pick up on it and further the comic book characters.

I think I need to take 3% off my geek total for not printing my percentage with a decimal point followed by a string of numbers.

Agreed-- what is life after all without extensive use of cut&paste mouse clicks?

25.64103% - Total Geek

...but I should have had points deducted from actually being off-line for an entire week (duration of a vacation spent mostly ::shudder:: out-of-doors! 893whatthe.gif).