• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze CGC values could be destroyed by this warehouse find

93 posts in this topic

If I were a speculator and investor at this point, my money would be firmly embedded in early BA & Silver DC books (pre-direct market) ...

foreheadslap.gif

Mascaroni, you are just wrong wrong wrong. It is never about rarity and never has been. It is all about what the market wants or what is hot. Haven't you seen all the 9.8 wolverine 1s or xmen 137s? Many other examples can be cited. Also other examples can be given that show where there is a single 9.8 or something, no one bids jack crapp on it because no body wants it even it's the only book on the planet. If we are talking about investment you have to go with what the largest group of comic collectors is going for. This is why Amazing Spider-Mans will always be great to sink your dollars into.

Hey jedi, you're entitled to your own opinion although you obviously have no understanding of the high grade DC market. And Joe, you can go search for all the toy, video game warehouses you like 27_laughing.gif but I still feel that the early DC market has greater potential for future growth and the Neal Adams covers/issues will draw bigger money when the high grade stuff comes around. 9.2/9.4 prices are only going up so between Marvel and DC comics of the same period, my money would still go to those awesome covers from the late Silver/early Bronze DC era. When a book such as Action #419 with a classic Adams cover is still listed in the guide for only $16.00 I think you can notice the price valuation upside to many of these books:

action419.jpg

Are you kidding? What does price guide value have to do with ANYTHING? Generally speaking nowadays, you're going to have to pay full market to get a high grade dc book like the one you posted, and considering its essentially 70s drek with a nice cover, books like that are pricey these days.

As for Joe's suggestion re games, I don't think its as stupid as you seem to think. I'll freely admit I'm biased as I collect the stuff, but I know someone selling their gold nwc (rare nintendo cartridge) and they are getting five figure offers for it. And you could have bought this game five years ago for 1500...

Not saying that there isn't money to be made in that particular market. But if we are talking strictly about the comic book segment and the huge amount of Marvel high grade issues in comparison to DC's of the same period pre-1972, my money is all over those classic Adams, Wrightson, etc. covers that the CGC census still shows at much lower levels. And hey, no one answered my question as to whether they have ever heard of any pre-1972 DC warehouse finds or if there is such a thing as MH2 DC Adams issues 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

certainly not to the same scale. DC was really sucking wind in that time period between the price increases, format changes and generally getting waxed by marvel. I would bet there is some amount of 69-74 dc warehouse stock out there, but nothing compared to the marvel finds, I am sure. I think any long time collector would agree.

What came out of those mystery boxes of comics that were on ebay a few months ago, anyone remember that? The guy was posting multiple copies of some ASM issues and some other pretty nice looking copies that he said came from unopened distributor boxes (reboxed unsold stock maybe because there was some apparent sun fading IIRC).

He also sold off some of the boxes that he claimed to not have opened. I'd be curious to learn what was reported to be in those boxes if anyone now knows...

confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, it would be interesting to find out what else came out of those boxes. But again, almost everytime I hear of these incredible finds, never are any early DC books ever listed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif. I believe the distributors/distribution system pre-direct market must be a major reason for this. There are no advertisements/sales from the MH2 discovery (which had god knows how many million books) of DC's before 1972/1973 that anyone can absolutely confirm. Although this doesn't make them rare by any stretch, many high grade keys from this period are only going up and up and up crazy.gif

Here's a great cover from this time period and there are only 4 total books even graded above 9.2. Are DC collectors just not slabbing their books or did they read them more intensely with fewer high grade surviving???

tec402.jpg

Which brands and explain please.

Anything, if it's cheap enough. The key is to buy what others feel is junk (and in 2006, probably is in some cases) and store it away for 5-10 years.

If I were a speculator and investor at this point, my money would be firmly embedded in early BA & Silver DC books

What? If you were a SMART speculator, you'd forget all about over-priced CGC comics and start nosing around for warehouse/store/etc. finds of various 1980's paraphernalia like games, action figures, carts, cards, etc. that are bound to be extremely popular in the next 5-10 years.

Speculators should understand they missed the boat on comics, and just accept it and move on.

thumbsup2.gif

I would extend that to the late 80;s and ealy 90's as well(for toys), as early/mid 80's stuff has already taken off.

If I were a speculator and investor at this point, my money would be firmly embedded in early BA & Silver DC books

What? If you were a SMART speculator, you'd forget all about over-priced CGC comics and start nosing around for warehouse/store/etc. finds of various 1980's paraphernalia like games, action figures, carts, cards, etc. that are bound to be extremely popular in the next 5-10 years.

Speculators should understand they missed the boat on comics, and just accept it and move on.

thumbsup2.gif

I would extend that to the late 80;s and ealy 90's as well(for toys), as early/mid 80's stuff has already taken off.

The Rule of 25 is always true. You want to speculate on the hot collectible? Buy what twelve year olds were buying 20 years earlier and wait five years. You'll see incredible price appreciation. Right now - buy late 80s and early 90s toys, games and comics and sit on them for five years.

Which, BTW, doesn't bode well for comics in 2018 and beyond... 893whatthe.gif

IMHO: CGC doesn't give out too many 9.8's in silver or bronze age comics. I would love for someone to send in a box of supposed high grade comics, same issue, and watch the bell curve appear, regardless of the real grade. They do the same thing with moderns, but the high grade is 10 and 9.9 No real difference between those and the 9.8's.

I would love for someone to send in a box of supposed high grade comics, same issue, and watch the bell curve appear, regardless of the real grade.

Obviously CGC does this, and it was most apparent in the Killing Joke submissions. Dealers were sending in cases of pristine issues (and these are squarebound, so guaranteed 9.8 or higher on those) and they would receive a pretty consistent distribution of CGC 9.6, 9.8, and 9.9 issues, almost like CGC was grading on a curve.

This happened in graded sportscards, and truthfully, it makes great business sense. Otherwise, if you actually grade books by their condition, you risk your entire business model crumbling.

Look at the press CGC got by releasing a few CGC 10.0 copies of Origin - too many and it would look common, but too few and no one would bother with it. 5 copies was just right, and CGC knew it.

When JC started talking about toys I got to thinking about things from the 80's & early 90's that have increased in value to some degree.

As a 13 to 19 year old teenager during the mid-late eighties I purchased countless Powell-Peralta skateboards. Usually Tony hawk, Lance Mountain, Mc Gills boards yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, I went looking for one ot these complete with trucks and wheels in "as new" condition to mount on my computer room wall as a viewing piece.

Lets just say that I have put this in the "things to do when I have a lot more money basket" sorry.gif

Regards,

Russ

When JC started talking about toys I got to thinking about things from the 80's & early 90's that have increased in value to some degree.

As a 13 to 19 year old teenager during the mid-late eighties I purchased countless Powell-Peralta skateboards. Usually Tony hawk, Lance Mountain, Mc Gills boards yada, yada, yada.

Anyway, I went looking for one ot these complete with trucks and wheels in "as new" condition to mount on my computer room wall as a viewing piece.

Lets just say that I have put this in the "things to do when I have a lot more money basket" sorry.gif

Regards,

Russ

don't know about you, but in my house that thing isn't a basket, it's a dumpster