• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Pedigree! - from CBG Express

21 posts in this topic

NEWS: LOST VALLEY IS NEW PEDIGREE

By Nathan Melby

Comics Guaranty LLC has authorized a new pedigree, The Lost Valley

Collection. Co-owned by Al Stoltz of Basement Comics and Jeff Weaver of Mad

Cow Comics, the small collection of seldom-seen, high-grade Golden Age

material recently came to light.

The pedigree includes such strip-reprint titles as Famous Funnies, Ace

Comics, Sparkler Comics, and Tip Top along with such new-content series

as Detective Comics #1-10, #12, #14, #27, and #35, Action Comics #2,

and a short run of Action Comics in the 20s and 30s number range.

Registered users can read the full article at:

http://www.collect.com/interest/article.asp?id=7583

Interesting that CGC has put themselves into the position of designating pedigrees. And that CBG is announcing it as news. Shouldn't the comic collecting universe come to a consensus and then CGC would acknowledge that the pedigree was recognized?

Or has that already happened? Beats me, I haven't heard of this one before. So where's the scoop on this? A pedigree has got to have a story, right? smile.gif

Were there over 100 comics in the Lost Valley? Wondering what the minimum quantity of a pedigree collection deemed by Cgc should be.

Weren't there less than 100 of the Curator books?

Were there over 100 comics in the Lost Valley? Wondering what the minimum quantity of a pedigree collection deemed by Cgc should be.

Well....there are a lot of obscure "pedigrees" out there! I remember a few years ago, some guy was pointing to some seller that was selling some books from the "Sherwood" collection. They were making fun of him. Lo and behold, I see a book from this collection slabbed and noted a while back. Also, WTF is with the "Bowling Green" pedigree? The best book that I have seen from the collection is a 9.8 Spidey 100! Who makes these decisions? insane.gif

I believe the Curator pedigree consisted of a near complete Marvel Silver collection.

I think they are Brulato rejects.

I think so too. From what I've heard, he's locked up most of the 9.4+ books.

I own one Curator book, it's a later ASM but I'm not sure which issue..it's in the #80's though. John Hauser (sp?) has a ton of Curator DD books on his website. The Curators I've seen are alright, but I don't really collect that pedigree due to the fact that the ones I want (ASM and 9.4's) are in a pretty well "locked" collection. But yes, the books are on par with Western Penn IMO.

Brian

Okay, if CGC is the official arbiter of pedigrees, where are the "rules" ? Or are they as amorphous as some of the other CGC rules, re: points such as resto ?

I do think it's fair to say that CGC is taking advantage of its "market leadership position" to set arbitrary ground rules. Who's going to question their decisions, especially when the parameters/guidelines for those decisions aren't made public?

Having said that, "taking advantage of market leadership" is what good businesses do, among other things. So you can't really fault them for trying to "own" the business of identifying and certifying pedigrees. If I were in their biz dev. or marketing dept., I'd recommend the same thing...

But from the outside looking in, it's pretty frustrating. At the very least, CGC should build out an area of its site devoted to the whole concept of pedigreed collections. Pics, histories, data on status of known books from pedigreed collections, etc. Become an authority, or authoritative source of info, on a subject *before* you start setting ground rules... whatta concept!

My guess is. A lot of the collection has to be early Silver and/or Golden. The books have to be high grade (8.0 or better for Silver, 6.5 or better for Golden). It has to include some keys in decent shape (keys being Cap 1, early Action, Sub-mariner 1, AF 15, FF 1, JiM 83, etc etc). And the collection has to be pieced together originally off-the-stands or through trading them for other off-the-stands books back in the day. I had also assumed the collection had to be at least 1,000 books, but it looks like that's not true.

Anyways, I believe the "off-the-newstand" issue was what made CGC not recognize the Slobodian collection b/c he was still buying and selling books. What collection are you referring to that you think CGC should recognize but doesn't?

Brian

My guess is. A lot of the collection has to be early Silver and/or Golden. The books have to be high grade (8.0 or better for Silver, 6.5 or better for Golden). It has to include some keys in decent shape (keys being Cap 1, early Action, Sub-mariner 1, AF 15, FF 1, JiM 83, etc etc). And the collection has to be pieced together originally off-the-stands or through trading them for other off-the-stands books back in the day. I had also assumed the collection had to be at least 1,000 books, but it looks like that's not true.

Anyways, I believe the "off-the-newstand" issue was what made CGC not recognize the Slobodian collection b/c he was still buying and selling books. What collection are you referring to that you think CGC should recognize but doesn't?

Brian

Yeah, what happened to the "original owner" aspect of a pedigree? I've always said the distinction was absurd, but this is taking it to a new level. "Co-owned" does not a pedigree make.

Okay, if CGC is the official arbiter of pedigrees, where are the "rules" ? Or are they as amorphous as some of the other CGC rules, re: points such as resto?

Please note that I neither endorsed nor condemned the idea of CGC making it's own rules, I just pointed out that they seem to be doing that in this case.

In addition to that it seems to have little or no effect with CGC what anyone else thinks about it.

Lost Valley pedigree was a one owner collection. It was found/bought by those two comic shop owners.

Quotes from article:

"The process of getting the pedigree began when Stoltz and Weaver approached CGC about the possibility of a pedigree for the one-owner collection they had acquired."

"Weaver said that the name of the collection came, because he and Stoltz got lost in the valley while trying to find the home of the collection’s original owner."

BTW...that collection has quite nice books:

"The pedigree includes such strip-reprint titles as Famous Funnies, Ace Comics, Sparkler Comics, and Tip Top along with such new-content series as Detective Comics #1-10, #12, #14, #27, and #35, an Action Comics #2, and a short run of Action Comics in the 20s and 30s number range"

Edit: There's also a lot of Fiction House books (Planet, Wings, Jumbo, and Jungle)

The one thing that alludes me is, maybe CGC can comment on this, there was one collection out there that CGC was "watching" the sales of to see if it should accept it as a pedigree..Anyone remember which one that was? Or maybe it was just the dealer's talk in trying to hype it up.

Brian