• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MUST have some opinions! KS HULK Special #1

16 posts in this topic

Guys and gals....it has been awhile since I last posted but I must get a ruling from those in the know. I recently picked up this Hulk KS Special #1 on Ebay...from a relatively new guy. Here is the verbage from his listing:

I have been reading and collecting comics for over 36 years. I will not over grade or mislead anyone on any of my books. I GRADE PER OVERSTREET STANDARDS. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

*Please check out my other auctions. **I have several Westerns from my personal collection, that I am considering selling. If any of you are interested in Western comics, please drop me a note and let me know.

This book is still in GREAT shape. It is in VF+ 8.5 condition with SNOW WHITE pages. MANY WOULD GRADE THIS 9.2 BUT I WOULD RATHER BE CONSERVATIVE. The corners are ever so slightly blunted, binding is perfect, color is extremely glossy. All in all, this is still an extremely desirable copy of this 38 year old book

Now let me know what you think....

1309766-hulkks1.jpg.87e598bdf2bc64a5aeb6abdde8ceb44b.jpg

I was thinking 7.0 at best. That bottom looks pretty rough.

"The corners are ever so slightly blunted". I would be scared to see what his take on moderately or heavily blunted corners would look like.

I was thinking 7.0 at best. That bottom looks pretty rough.

"The corners are ever so slightly blunted". I would be scared to see what his take on moderately or heavily blunted corners would look like.

i concur.................

Yup, textbook 7.0 with those bottom scuffs, and that's assuming the back cover checks out. Based on that auction blurb, could be that he's an "old school" grader from when standards were looser, rather than an intentional overgrader.

Well the good news is that the guy is pretty standup. He is allowing a full refund, even though his listing clearly indicates ALL SALES FINAL...unless grossly understated. I would have to rate this guy an 8.5/10 for being standup...after scans were sent he could hardly believe he gave it that grade.

Nice to know there is still common sense on the globe.

Well the good news is that the guy is pretty standup. He is allowing a full refund, even though his listing clearly indicates ALL SALES FINAL...unless grossly understated. I would have to rate this guy an 8.5/10 for being standup...after scans were sent he could hardly believe he gave it that grade.

Nice to know there is still common sense on the globe.

Great. And you probably pulled the trigger on the book after analyzing his FB which suggested he might be reasonable in such a situation. So the gamble was essentially a "push".

Personally, I would never buy that book raw by mail. 0.5 off and it's a bad deal. The only thing raw I purchase any more on ebay is VG or less GA that's not too pricey. This way there's a limit to how bad the deal can be. I don't even attempt refunds on these books, just make a mental note of the seller and move on.

Sometimes it is worth the chance, especially if you know others that have purchased. Let's face it...CGC books only get the grade from RAW books in the first place. Personally I have no love for a cold slabbed book...unless of course I am going to sell, in which case...make mine CGC.

As far as Ebay is concerned, here is my list for outstanding raw sellers:

bobcat.enterprises

drbanner

spideybus36

jmcneer

maya15

ditkofan

I am sure there are others (some that I cannot say :-) ), but you will not go wrong with these sellers for raw treasures.