• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT..Any roller coaster fans here

44 posts in this topic

I went to Cedar Point with the family last August and we'll be repeating the trip this August! Intense! We went on just about all of the major coasters at the park.

My son was about two inches too short to qualify for the Mantis and the Dragster, but somehow the height restriction on the Millenium Force was under those two so we did get to go on that one. He's grown since last year so he should be tall enough for all the rides this year.

So he is about 9 years old?

7 1/2 last year, 8 1/2 this year. He should be good to go, definitely grew about 3-4 inches since last summer...

I live in Cincinnnati and the Beast Rules. Best Wooden coaster Hands down and is like 4.5 minutes long. You get your moneys worth.

The Son of Beast will do a number on you and I'm a young guy. Its closed now because it broke some guys rib after a wood tie splintered.

Hey Buck, growing up I was scared to death of roller coasters due to the fact that my mom made me afraid of them. It wasn't until I was 23 years old that I finally told myself that I needed to get over this irrational fear and decided to ride the Beast on a trip to Cincy to see some Reds games. It was absolutely the biggest rush in my life up until that point. I liked it so much I rode it again as soon as I got off of it. Since then, I have found that the coasters with the loops, helixes, and corkscrews are my favorites now, such as the Poltergeist at Fiesta Texas in San Antone. However, I will always love the Beast.

Scott

I would rather drive the 5 hours to get to Cedar Point than the 1&1/4 hours to Canada`s Wonderland.

My Comic business is named after the best coaster of all time

The Cyclone (Crystal Beach Ontario) thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

John

Cyclone is also in Coney Island..

I also think the Beast was voted the number 1 wooden roller coaster for a very long time. I like it because it has two hill climbs and is totally engulfed in the woods. Plus it last forever. I think I timed it one time at 4 and a half minutes. You don't see any other ride or people after the first hill. Plus it uses the hillsides to define its track path so the coaster is realitively low to the ground. You just see mother nature and the BEAST.

Here's the lowdown on the Son of Beast accident....

MASON, Ohio -- Preliminary investigations show that a broken timber might be to blame for a roller coaster malfunction at Kings Island, officials said Monday.

The accident on the Son of Beast sent at least 27 people to hospitals Sunday, most with minor chest and neck injuries, authorities said. Some of the people injured by the jolt were bleeding and hunched over, witnesses said.

Fred Daly, director of the Ohio Department of Agriculture, said a broken timber was found on a downhill section of the ride.

"It broke one of the timbers, maybe more," he said. "It was a depression, and if they hit that really fast, it could have caused a jolt."

Riders felt a jolt after the coaster came out of a deep drop and was heading for a loop, Weldon Shaffer said.

"It felt like we hit something or jumped the track," said Shaffer, 34. "Everyone was screaming before that. Then it was complete silence the rest of the ride."

"[it was] shaking real bad. It just sounded like every turn it was going to fall off. I know it's the biggest wooden roller coaster in the world, but it's one that you don't want to lose your life on," rider Frank Nitty said.

Jake Cornett, 13, said he and his friend were riding the nearby Drop Zone when they heard the ambulances, looked down and "saw people being carried away on stretchers." Others were bleeding from their mouths and hunched over in pain, said Troy O'Dell, 20. 893whatthe.gif

The park's Web site describes the ride as "the tallest, fastest and only looping wooden coaster on the planet," descending a 214-foot hill at more than 78 mph. The coaster, which opened in 2000, is more than 7,000 feet long and features a 118-foot tall loop. It holds 36 people.

Park officials shut down the ride for the investigation, said park spokeswoman Maureen Kaiser, and it was not clear when the coaster might reopen.

Riders complained of discomfort after the coaster completed a circuit and pulled back into the boarding area, Kaiser said. The park's emergency staff tended to the riders and notified authorities, she said.

Last time I was on a ROller Coaster was most likely in the 90's....

Liike, before I was ten. I have only done a real roller coaster once, othertimes it was those for small kids & stuff.

Sounds like fun eh? yeahok.gif

Never been to Cedar Point, never been to Six FLags (I would love to go there someday aswell).

And so on 27_laughing.gif.

Sounds like fun however!

Been to Six Flags, Hershey park, Dorney Park, Universal Studios, Disneyworld, Rye Playland,Coney Island and Sesame Place(when I was in 1st grade) I love all the Coasters..

Rye Playland

cloud9.gif

jeez...talk about a spot i hadn't thought of for a looooong time

They have had three deaths there in the last three years, each one more bizarre than the one before. My kids' summer camp took it off the day trip list last year. This year the kids went to Splish Splash (water park here on LI) and trips are scheduled for Dorney Park and Six Flags - Great Adventure (New Jersey) later this summer.

I've been to so many amusement parks and rode so many dang coasters, I can't even remember all their names. foreheadslap.gif

The Hulk ride at Universal Islands of Adventure was pretty intense. Rocken Roller Coaster was realy intense (did they ever find out what caused that kids death awhile back?). A couple of my all-time favorites are Space Mountain and the Matterhorn at Disneyland. I've been to Disneyland, CA, Disneyworld, FL and Tokyo Disneyland and while they all have the Space Mountain ride, only the CA park has the Matterhorn frown.gif

I know there are a lot more I'm not even thinking of right now.

Unfortunately, my brother got hit in the nose by a seagull during the ride.

Your brother is Fabio? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1313693-Fabio.jpg

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Why do you think the girl on his left is laughing at his broken nose?

dunno. that girl behind him on his left - our right - looks like she might be wearing some of Fabio on her face to me. don't mistake her nauseated grimace for a smile

• Administrator

Key to good coaster riding:

1. Lift your legs when they drop the lap bar to create some gap

2. Just as you start down the hill, right as your stomach starts to lurch, lift up your feet into the air. You'll know when you get the timing right. It adds a whole new dimension.

Key to good coaster riding:

1. Lift your legs when they drop the lap bar to create some gap

2. Just as you start down the hill, right as your stomach starts to lurch, lift up your feet into the air. You'll know when you get the timing right. It adds a whole new dimension.

This works great on the blue streak at Cedar Point. Sit in the last car and you will float 1/2 of the ride. 893applaud-thumb.gif