• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much more is a 9.6 worth compared to a 9.4?

21 posts in this topic

I have been a collector of comics for a while but I am fairly new to the selling of books. In the past I have sold a few books but mostly mid-grade duplicates of books I have in a higher grade (ASM 129, Hulk 181 for example) but I have never sold a high grade book (as I can rarely give them up). Leading to my question of how much more, percentage wise, would one expect to sell a 9.6 for over a 9.4? For example I have one of the 14 werewolf by night #32 in 9.6 (according to the most recent census) and I recently saw a 9.4 go for $585.00 on ebay. What could I realistically expect a 9.6 to go for? Do 9.6's go for 20% higher than 9.4's or is it less than that?

If this type of question has been brought up before my apologies. I did a quick search and did not find an answer.

Thanks in advance.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have been a collector of comics for a while but I am fairly new to the selling of books. In the past I have sold a few books but mostly mid-grade duplicates of books I have in a higher grade (ASM 129, Hulk 181 for example) but I have never sold a high grade book (as I can rarely give them up). Leading to my question of how much more, percentage wise, would one expect to sell a 9.6 for over a 9.4? For example I have one of the 14 werewolf by night #32 in 9.6 (according to the most recent census) and I recently saw a 9.4 go for $585.00 on ebay. What could I realistically expect a 9.6 to go for? Do 9.6's go for 20% higher than 9.4's or is it less than that?

If this type of question has been brought up before my apologies. I did a quick search and did not find an answer.

Thanks in advance.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The best way to answer this for a particular book is to get a subscription to www.gpanalysis.com. You'll be able to see what CGC graded books have sold for in every grade where there has been a sale at public auction or by any GPAnalysis member-dealer since June 2002. There is no hard and fast rule for how much more a given book is worth in 9.6 when compared to the same book in 9.4. The GPAnalysis subscription is pretty inexpensive (something like $7 per month for a collector's subscription) and is well worth the money. Just about every CGC book buyer I know has a subscription.

Maybe you could expect 50% again on top of the 9.4 price. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But if the copy you have is one of only, say, three 9.6s, the multiplier is likely to increase.

If you're thinking of selling your 9.6, given the previously realised price of the 9.4, I'd maybe list it at slightly below that 9.4 level and let it ride. confused-smiley-013.gif

What could I realistically expect a 9.6 to go for? Do 9.6's go for 20% higher than 9.4's or is it less than that?

There is no hard and fast rule. It all depends on the census and the demand for the book.

In the case of most high priced 9.4s, the jump to 9.6 would be much more than 20%. Look at the CGC Census. If there are 3 times more copies of a given book in 9.4 than 9.6, it stands to reason that the 9.6 would be 3 times more expensive than the 9.4.

If it was a common in high grade bronze or copper age book, the the gap between 9.4 and 9.6 might be around 20%.

With a little market research in the Heritage Archives, ComicLink and Pedigree you should be able to tell which books garner huge jumps from 9.4 to 9.6.

I agree. No rules. depends on demand. a 9.8 can fetch 30 times guide, a 9.6 10 times and a 9.4 2 times. Gotta go by what people are willing to pay.

R.

Thanks for all the informative input. I had figured that a hard and fast rule was probably not going to occur but there was always hope. As it stands I am going to check out the GP analysis and go from there.

9.4 Used to be satisfactory in the collector's eye, but ever since CGC gained public acceptance, everyone knows that 9.6 is the new 9.4.

I have found that formulas don't stand. They look nice on paper but it comes down to what people will bid on them and if the pattern is subsequently followed. However, some books do seem to double or triple from 9.4 to 9.6 while others may only rise 25 to 50%.

I didn't see the $800 bids on Comiclink, that is just insane. Do books like this historically spike in value and then drop or will the value sustain itself?

I do like the idea of buying 9.4's and 9.6's for the same cost and selling double.... great idea Oldguy!! It does make sense though as personally I wouldn't pay double for a 9.6 but people do.

I feel sorry for the that paid nearly 10k for that giantsize xmen 1 pgx 9.9. I'll give cold hard cash that says it's a 9.8 tops.

While I don't want anyone to get ripped off, I'd expect someone who has $10,000 to drop would know better than to invest in a PGX 9.9 coming from Terrance Leder. 893naughty-thumb.gif A fool and his money are soon parted and there will always be someone like Terrance Leder to broker the deal.

It's a safe bet it's no better than a 9.8, and given what we know now, trimming and/or color touch are not impossibilities.

I feel sorry for the that paid nearly 10k for that giantsize xmen 1 pgx 9.9. I'll give cold hard cash that says it's a 9.8 tops.

While I don't want anyone to get ripped off, I'd expect someone who has $10,000 to drop would know better than to invest in a PGX 9.9 coming from Terrance Leder. 893naughty-thumb.gif A fool and his money are soon parted and there will always be someone like Terrance Leder to broker the deal.

It's a safe bet it's no better than a 9.8, and given what we know now, trimming and/or color touch are not impossibilities.

I was just laughing because, in my (humble) opinion, books better than 9.8 don't exist. There is no realistic difference between a 9.8, a 9.9, and a 10.0. As far as i'm concerned, 9.9 and 10.0 are just clever marketing tactics. laugh.gif

flamed.gif