• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A newbie question

15 posts in this topic

In the case of higher grade books, the restored label decimates the value. A purple label will fetch a fraction of its unrestored counterpart.

In the case of low grade books, 3.0 and under, the purple label will detract, but not nearly as much as with high grade books (unless it's a total frankenbook).

Okay thanks for answering now let me ask is restoration financially a good way to resale If the comic is worth at least how much? 500 or more? or is restoration just not the way to go period?

It will seem to me that a good restoration would be hard to tell if not graded by the CGC but I could be wrong

Okay thanks for answering now let me ask is restoration financially a good way to resale If the comic is worth at least how much? 500 or more? or is restoration just not the way to go period?

It will seem to me that a good restoration would be hard to tell if not graded by the CGC but I could be wrong

Well, it sounds like you wouldn't tell the buyer that it's restored and that's a BIG no-no. Not disclosing restoration is probably the worst (or one of) things you can do as a seller.

As a rule, restoration is not worth it for resale. A 9.0 CGC professionally restored copy will probably get around the same price as a 3.5-4.0 unrestored copy. So if you can take a 1.0 or 1.5 book and turn it into a 9.0 and still make a profit, I guess it's worth it. confused-smiley-013.gif However, the costs involved in doing so are astronomical.

Thanks I was planning on buying some 3's or less and restoring them to a 9 but I needed some info first and it doesn't seem to be worth the headache thanks again guys

You may find some isolated circumstances where restoration may result in a profit,but mainly on a low grade key or classic issue that has good gloss and page quality already.If you can turn a 3.0 into a solid 7.0,you might fetch the VG price on occasion.It definitely has to be the right book,i.e. Action 1,'tec 27,31,etc...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. I got $1800 for a Batman # 11 that was apparent 7.0 that started out as a 3.0.The work was done by Matt Nelson and the issue had super page quality with the main problems being crumples and tears.I didn't have the work done myself,but Matt provides a very thorough certificate of documentation with photos of the book in it's original state.He does excellent work and the end result still had the "feel" of an unrestored book.With restoration,you definitely get what you pay for,don't cut corners.

You may find some isolated circumstances where restoration may result in a profit,but mainly on a low grade key or classic issue that has good gloss and page quality already.If you can turn a 3.0 into a solid 7.0,you might fetch the VG price on occasion.It definitely has to be the right book,i.e. Action 1,'tec 27,31,etc...GOD BLESS...

p.s. I got $1800 for a Batman # 11 that was apparent 7.0 that started out as a 3.0.The work was done by Matt Nelson and the issue had super page quality with the main problems being crumples and tears.I didn't have the work done myself,but Matt provides a very thorough certificate of documentation with photos of the book in it's original state.He does excellent work and the end result still had the "feel" of an unrestored book.With restoration,you definitely get what you pay for,don't cut corners.

Jim, was it profitable to do that with the Batman? After restoration fees and such?

I don't know how long you've been collecting or what you like,but I would stick to something that you love if you do decide to try resto.You might have to shop it around for a while.I'd shop around for some prices for Moderate resto and make sure that the book in it's original condition is worth at least triple the cost of the resto work.That way all you've cot to do to profit is sell the restored book for 50% more than you paid for the book originally.It can be done,especially with a book like Cap 46,Amazing Man 22,Marvel Mystery 9,etc....by the way,what books were you considering?GOD BLESS...

p.s. remember that turnaround times from the best resto artists can be lengthy,so it's not a good prospect for a "quick flip".

The work had already been done to the book when I got it.I mainly brought it up to show that restored books don't automatically sell for the good price.At the time,$1800 for a Bat 11 was the VG equivalent.GOD BLESS...

p.s. it was a pretty book and I sometimes miss it.I let it go back in my drinking days.A major selling point for it was the AWESOME certificate that Matt provides.Very classy and detailed.

Jim, was it profitable to do that with the Batman? After restoration fees and such?

I asked the same question not long ago.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rue#Post1299407

I will be selling them at the Chicago Con, along with 8 or 9 more restored Timelys, for around VG to F guide. I will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Out of curiousity,how much for the Cap 8 ?I know otherworlds33 wants one and it's also one of my favorites,behind the 7 and the 21.GOD BLESS...

Out of curiousity,how much for the Cap 8 ?I know otherworlds33 wants one and it's also one of my favorites,behind the 7 and the 21.GOD BLESS...

I am at work right now and I can't remember what I have it at. I will PM you when I get home. I also have Cap 3, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 14 (I think). Subby 5 (unrestored) and Subby 12 (burning arm cover) as well. All for sale at the upcoming Con, or before by request I guess.