• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a rule for sellers that states....

52 posts in this topic

The board software allows for parameters that would make it possible for newbies to be able to reply to threads in the Marketplace but not start a thread for a period of say...a month

If so, then I say we petition Arch to activate it.

That would be a very simple way to keep newb scammers out, and requires no further administration from Arch.

The problem with this is you sign up, wait a month, and then go at it..........I don't see this really doing anything. confused-smiley-013.gif

How about this:

If you're not sure about a sellers credentials then don't buy from them. There, problem solved.

That's my solution for ebay. Here, I would like to preserve the sense of community.

Like many, I do not want to deter participation of newbies who will contribute substantively to the boards. They will ultimately prove themselves so they really don't have anything to worry about over such a policy. All I want to do is make it harder for people whose only intention is to make this their ebay2.

How about this:

If you're not sure about a sellers credentials then don't buy from them. There, problem solved.

That's my solution for ebay. Here, I would like to preserve the sense of community.

Like many, I do not want to deter participation of newbies who will contribute substantively to the boards. They will ultimately prove themselves so they really don't have anything to worry about over such a policy. All I want to do is make it harder for people whose only intention is to make this their ebay2.

no offense whomerjay , but isn't this sentiment at the heart of continuing discrimination? "It doesn't affect me so I won't say anything to stop it" is not a defense to something that is wrong.

The problem with this is you sign up, wait a month, and then go at it..........I don't see this really doing anything. confused-smiley-013.gif

If people want to wait a month, then let them post. It will definitely stop the fly-by-night scammers from posting "Rare Books for Sale" 2 seconds after they register.

Nothing will solve all the potential problems, but the big risk I see is a pile of scammers join up, post tons of books, hook a few newbs and trusting forum members, and proceed to ruin all the goodwill we've built up.

A month in solitary would curb about 99% of potential "fly by night" operations. Most scammers would just move on to somewhere else. Those who want to participate longterm in the forum would do the month standing on their head, and would also be able to post in the rest of the forum.

Personally I see this "Register and Start Selling Books in 2 Seconds" scenario as an invitation to scam, and there has to be some checks and balances going forward.

I made the comment in Arch's thread about blocking low post count sellers.

After a few days I've come to realize post count and even a month or two period of non selling will not deter any scammers from making some quick bucks or passing overgraded junk.

What I like about the marketplace is I could see a list only (no scans) with the grades by sellers like nikos,Skinny,comicdey,pirate to name a few, and buy those books sight unseen knowing they would be graded right.

The current system of snubbing newbies works fine. Genuine comic fans who want to be a part of this community will keep posting and become more recognized, respected and trusted. This system, in turn, also discourages scammers and those who clog the boards. If you put posting parameters on it, you might as well start charging a fee also.

I would like sellers to at least be age specific (GA, SA, BA, MA) in the titles also. I was once ribbed for this by a forum member though, because I had three seperate posts in one day and it bumped his post off of the front page.

How about this:

no offense whomerjay , but isn't this sentiment at the heart of continuing discrimination? "It doesn't affect me so I won't say anything to stop it" is not a defense to something that is wrong.

I have no idea what you are trying to say, perhaps equating this to some global argument against social/racial discrimination. I don't accept that implementing some conditions to limit sellers is "wrong". If you're not willing to jump through some small hoop to demonstrate you're something other than an ebay-like seller, and you view this as malicious discrimination, then to me you don't see what these boards are about.

Selling and buying here was the LAST thing I ventured into after joining the forum. After I came to "know" several forumites primarily through participating in other forum discussions, I ultimately bought a few books and then sold a few. I view the CGC boards primarily as a great way to expand my knowledge of comics and the industry, get a handle on the "characters" involved in the game (and make a few friends), and as a bonus occasionally pick up a few books from fellow forumites. It is not ebay2 for me, although I have enough interest in the Marketplace to care about it. To me the sense of community and specialness is lost if the 2 marketplaces turn into ebay. Personally I don't think relying on Adam Smith laissez-faire forces are sufficient protection from that happening; some obviously disagree. That is fine, but I don't accept being labeled as elitist when my intent is to serve the common good.

I agree with old guy. This board does an outstanding job of policing itself. If someone comes in with some sort of scam or overpriced garbage, they are immediately assaulted and shoved back in the hole they came out of.

I hate the idea of snobbery where someone who doesn't post a lot is not worthy of seling here. That's just unfriendly.

Well, I am new here and I plan to be around for a while. I would not really mind to have waited a while before I could sell something. I have actually bought a number of books so far and have not had any problems. I posted a few inexpensive things to sell as well, and have not had any interest - but that of course might be that no one wants what I have - which is fine too.

I am not really here to sell, just to have some fun and to buy some books once in a while.

Overall though, I don't think you really want to discourage new members - adding new members who really have some interest and will contribute is what the board is all about - is it not???

Same thing with eBay. I buy off eBay too, but very carefully from the seller, obviously checking feedback, comments, length of time they have been around. Clearly you don't want to spend $100s or $1000s on books from a brand new seller - you could be setting yourself up for a scam for sure.....all it boils down to is using common sense.

Anyway, as a Newbie - that is my 2 cents worth...

Karl.

I agree with old guy. This board does an outstanding job of policing itself. If someone comes in with some sort of scam or overpriced garbage, they are immediately assaulted and shoved back in the hole they came out of.

I hate the idea of snobbery where someone who doesn't post a lot is not worthy of seling here. That's just unfriendly.

news.gif

Violation !!!

You are supposed to have a minimum of 500 posts before you can misspell "selling". makepoint.gif

Carry on............................................. devil.gifpoke2.gif

news.gif

Violation !!!

You are supposed to have a minimum of 500 posts before you can misspell "selling". makepoint.gif

Carry on............................................. devil.gifpoke2.gif

Arghhh! I thought it was 300!!! frustrated.gif

My forum rulebook is out getting slabbed or else I would have looked it up first.

How about we use this for the fly-by-night noob spammers? I sometimes get the feeling this is how many newly arrived posters feel as the mob descends upon them with all it's fury!! 27_laughing.gif

noob.jpg

How about we use this for the fly-by-night noob spammers? I sometimes get the feeling this is how many newly arrived posters feel as the mob descends upon them with all it's fury!! 27_laughing.gif

noob.jpg

that is just so damn funny.

noob.jpg

that is how it feels sometimes. luckily those posters don't seem to be the norm otherwise it would be hard to stick around