• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego Report

25 posts in this topic

My short report...

I left home (Ventura County) about 9AM Wednesday with my 5 year old son. My wife stayed home with my 7 year old daughter and 14 month old son. Amazingly, we drove non-stop, even with the traffic in North San Diego. Along the way, we listened to tapes of 1940's Superman radio shows.

We checked into the Marriott and were in our room about 1PM. We were in the South tower, right next to the convention center. We swam in the pool until about 3:30 and headed over to pick-up our badge about 4PM.

Badge pick-up went very fast, there were a lot of people, but plenty of registration staff. We got our badges in about 2 minutes. (Longer than most since I needed a kids badge printed.) I figured we had plenty of time, so we waited in the freebie line...waste of time.

Back to the hotel to drop off the bag and get some dinner. We ate at their marina side restaurant. There was an artist painting the windows for comic-con, so we took a picture in front of the Flash painted one. I had the shirts made with the logo for ComicSeeker.com on the back.

sd_flash.jpg

On to the convention center, we entered from the marina side where there was a line about 2 people deep at 5 to 6 by the show management area. My son had to go to the bathroom so we got about a 30 second head start on the show floor when he finished.

We stayed in the center of the show floor for the first hour, at that point, it was ridiculous. Moving between booths felt like peak Saturday. We walked over to the Gold/Silver pavilion so I could quickly scan the comics. Two items of note:

1. Metropolis was displaying 4 copies of Amazing Fantasy 15

2. Harley Yee wanted $475 for a VF copy of the Flash 121 I was looking for

My take for the night, Hawkman #4 about an 8.0 from Bob at HighGradeComics. Tons of posters, pins, etc for my son. Several pictures taken and a few sketches.

Thursday the show opened 20 minutes late, very annoying for everyone waiting outside. As soon as we walked in, a photographer from Scoop took a picture of my son Ben in his Robin custome. It was published in today's issue. Check out his pose:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=12745&si=124

Thursday didn't seem as crowded in some spots as Wednesday night. We got more freebies. Picked up a ton of toys and action figures for the kids. I got two things I really wanted, my Flash 121, and, a sketch from the man himself, Carmine Infantino.

sd_carmine.jpg

While browsing, I saw a dealer with a framed Flash sketch and reprints of a few panels from Flash 105 retelling the origin. I thought it was a great idea so I made a poster for myself today, but using panels from Showcase 4. Here's a small image of the poster which is actually 12x18.

flashposter.jpg

My son had a complete meltdown about 3:30, so we left then. On the way out, we walked past the Metropolis booth, no kidding, 14 copies of Amazing Fantasy 15 were now on the wall. I would have taken a picture, but my camera battery was dead by this time.

Unfortunately, I can't make it back for the weekend. I still have my four-day pass if anyone is local and wants it. PM me.

Now, seriously considering going to Chicago. Still have a wad of $100's in my wallet that I didn't get to spend.

sd_bat.jpg

Very cool report. I hope you and your son had a great time. I was there until Friday morning but unfortunately had to leave before the Sat forum dinner. There were so many people Wed and Thurs it might well have been Sat. I'll post my report later.

Are you the same guy as comicseekers???

Curious CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

dude, comicseekers lives in like brooklyn or something.

but i can see how it would be confusing...

nice report! that pic of your boy in your avatar is cuter than two hamsters driving little toy cars

sd_carmine.jpg

Heh. That's me in the blue Phillies t-shirt (top-right) waiting in line for a Brian Bolland sketch. I was waiting there for 6 hours Christo_pull_hair.gif

Great report!

sd_carmine.jpg

Heh. That's me in the blue Phillies t-shirt (top-right) waiting in line for a Brian Bolland sketch. I was waiting there for 6 hours Christo_pull_hair.gif

Great report!

That looks like Vincent from Metropolis in the pink/purple shirt having a good laugh by himself in the background as well.

I'm not the same guy as Comicseekers. I didn't launch my comicseeker.com website until after I joined this board.

I don't think that's Vincent from Metro, when I saw him (in front of his 14 copies of Amazing Fantasy15) I believe he was dressed a little more "snazzy".

I went to Aaron Brothers to buy a frame today for my poster, I need to redo it, apparently 12x18 is not a standard size they keep in stock.

I don't think that's Vincent from Metro, when I saw him (in front of his 14 copies of Amazing Fantasy15) I believe he was dressed a little more "snazzy".

It does look like him but you're right he wouldnt be dressed like that.

Thats why I call him "Hollywood."

It does look like him but you're right he wouldnt be dressed like that.

Thats why I call him "Hollywood."

Vincent and his partner are nattily attired in black suits usually.

Here's some from the panels my wife and I attended:

David Boreanaz

197084964_1d9a331502.jpg

Richard Donner and Jack O'Halloran

197075098_ee81c6dae5.jpg

Battlestar Galactica Cast and Crew

197088467_4493d19f04.jpg

We had seats on the second row, so we were able to get some great pics. yay.gifyay.gif