• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best original Graphic Novel you've ever read?

17 posts in this topic

As I was reading over the Masterworks thread, it got me thinking about what the best original graphic novel I ever read was.

Now, I know Maus makes Wizard's list, and a bunch of other people's... but I didn't think it was all that good really. Or, perhaps I should say I didn't enjoy it that much.

My favorite, and this is a recent one, is the JLA/JSA Virtue and Vice Hardcover... it's the only thing recently I've read four or five times since I bought it. I'm not even a huge DC fan, but that one was the best.

During the 80s though, I enjoyed the Charles Vess Spidey GN (Spirits of the Earth, I believe) because I thought the artwork was terrific.

Are you asking about GN's that have not appeared in another form first?

Because almost all of them have, including Maus... which was printed in chapters as a magazine feature...

Yeah... I remember hearing that Maus did... but I won't limit it to just Original (although that's what I'm thinking of)... because I don't think Maus got as much play as it did til it got collected... but for the most part, an entirely original work.

But things Like the Death of Captain Marvel, Batman: son of the Demon, as I mentioned Virtue and Vice... I can think of quite a few that have completely original material...

What about John Byrne's SHE-HULK graphic novel. Probably 893offtopic1.gif, but wasn't there nipple...... cloud9.gif

You might be thinking of 2112. The nipple was put in by the colorist, and is only in the first printing.

What about John Byrne's SHE-HULK graphic novel. Probably 893offtopic1.gif, but wasn't there nipple...... cloud9.gif

You might be thinking of 2112. The nipple was put in by the colorist, and is only in the first printing.

I'm going to have to check out my copy of 2112 893scratchchin-thumb.gif But, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing SHE-HULK's nipples.....maybe just my active imagination cloud9.gif

I was hard pressed to choose between X-men God Loves, Man Kills or The Death of Captain Marvel but I'll have to give it to the Captain Marvel. The story was strong and it had every imaginable character. It hit upon something that was missed in many comics over the years, with all the heroes powers and unbelievable intellects, they cannot find a cure for cancer. I think in the novel there was a small part in which is hinted that people wasted their huge intellects on other matters yet did not bother with a killer such as cancer. A not too obvious art imitating life.

Tom

Jim Starlin's Dreadstar and 'The Price' are also really good. You can pick up good chunks of the regular Dreadstar run for pretty cheap too.

I've always liked the Original Marvel Graphic Novel 'The Inhumans' by Ann Nocenti..

Touching stuff

Also Will Eisner made a bunch of solid books like ' A Contract with God', 'To the Heart of the Storm' and 'Life on another Planet'

And 'Pedro and Me" by Judd Winnick is pretty solid as well...

I was hard pressed to choose between X-men God Loves, Man Kills or The Death of Captain Marvel but I'll have to give it to the Captain Marvel.

Tom

I couldn't agree more - these were two of my absolute favorites. Both just blew me away when I read them & I think 'God Loves' is Claremont's best work. But having followed Starlin's work in the 70's & seeing the love that he had for Capt. Marvel, I was just stunned by this story! Wow. Now I've gotta re-read it!

Other goodies: the Raven Banner (Charles Vess), Orbiter (Ellis/Doran)