• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you restore an Amazing Fantasy #15?

12 posts in this topic

I'm considering trying to find an Amazing Fantasy #15 in the 1.0 range (ssshhhhh don't tell my wife), and I would consider having it restored... Just wanted to get everyone's opinions whether they would or not.

Personally, knowing it's a genuine copy is good enough for me, and I think I would want to restore it so I can have it in the best condition possible.

Thoughts????

No. My personal opinion is that silver age books are too common. Restoration should only be used on very rare Golden Age. Books that might not survive otherwise.

This might be why so many people dislike restoration. It was overused to an extreme in the 1990s.

How high do you want it restored. You can have moderate resto done to a 1.0 but it might end up a 3. Metropolis has some really low grade copies (as well as high) . None look to me like you could have them made into an 8 without spending a lot of money.

How high do you want it restored. You can have moderate resto done to a 1.0 but it might end up a 3. Metropolis has some really low grade copies (as well as high) . None look to me like you could have them made into an 8 without spending a lot of money.

Those books have serious problems. All the one's lower than a 2.0 are incomplete except for the one that has a loose cover. I would avoid buying an incomplete copy.

First, you must consider the cost of the book + restoration fees vs. just buying one that is already restored.

Also, if you do get one to restore, be conscious of how low grade of one you get and the natures of its' flaws. The lower the grade, the more artificial it will look after restoration to a higher grade. Be realistic about how high an apparent grade you want to achieve. A 1.0 would likely have a hard time reaching upper mid to high grades in even the most skilled hands without the work looking very obvious. Watch out for page quality too. Something with badly tanned or brittle pages is not going to be a good restoration candidate.

I figure if i had another copy (i know i'm in dream world now insane.gif) of the books, i'd be glad to have one restored to look purdy and one as a regular ol' keeper.

My AF15 is restored (by Matt Wilson). Originally it was a 2.0 -- $500 later (15 years ago) it's now an apparent 7.0.

AmazingFantasy_015.jpg

Good lookin' book!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

VERY NICE looking copy............ thumbsup2.gif

i'd say that this is a great example of $500 well spent - the book obviously looks way better than before and the 5 point grade jump may well have been worth it financially, as well......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i believe that Matt Nelson is currently restoring FFB's AF#15 after he waited many months with little action from Tracy Heft.............

i spoke to Matt about restoring my Hulk #1, due to a major tear across the BC. since it;s my OO copy, i think i'd like to pretty it up a bit as it won't be up for sale anytime soon, if ever.............