• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern 76 CGC NM 9.4 White

76 posts in this topic

While everyone's been busy drooling, has anybody bothered to look at the top right hand corner on this "NM" #76? I wonder if the bottom corners are as nice as the top right.

If their not, just trim it

Shoe-fly, How this GL 76 received a "NM" is just as much a mystery if you really take a gander at it, as how your Spiderman 14 "NM" got its grade. Especially since there are so many similarities between them.

I thought that as a man of such high social status (an assistant pressman .....Foreman: "Stop dawdling! Didn't I tell you to go and get some more oil for the gears Shuley, and be quick about it!!") and such high esteem in this hobby, you above all, would have taken an interest in this mystery! 27_laughing.gif

Shoe-fly, How this GL 76 received a "NM" is just as much a mystery if you really take a gander at it

And I suppose you wonder why all your books come back restored too right? Your just pissed cause you know nothing about how a press runs,Aren't I the one you run too when you have a question about printing? We are hiring at my job, they are looking for stackers,perfect job for you, requries no knowlage of printing and you can watch the "trimmer" machine as the books get trimmed...you'll love it! i'll mail an application to you in N.J,since NY and N.J are so close you should get it soon.

"the one I run to when I have a question about printing?" ....

have you lost your mind altogether? There's a Member on this Forum who REALLY knows printing. He's already explained very clearly and concisely, in layman's terms, so that even YOU can understand it, exactly how these books were printed.

If I'm not mistaken, he also said that the printing mechanism allowed for W I D E tolerances in size, even within the same print run of the same issue (if you weren't paying attention) meaning that: YOU CAN'T SIZE BOOKS TO DETERMINE TRIM BY HOLDING THEM TOGETHER AND NOTING THE SHORTER OF THE TWO TO BE TRIMMED.

Did you somehow MISS that part, Shuley? I imagine that when you discovered to your dismay, that there was a guy here that KNEW his stuff (remember the ONE question I asked you on here... a very basic one about printing, and you really couldn't answer it?), you quickly backed out of his posts after reading the first sentence, thinking to yourself something like: "Oh NO!!!! The real McCoy!! A REAL printer!!".

He also talked about how pages dry and shrinkage affects different books in different ways.

STILL, even with all of his logical and knowledgeable explanations, you continue to aver that you have this great power from beyond that enables you (JUST YOU) to determine trim, not only by measuring books, but from scans as well!!! You're amazing, Shuley (and I DON'T mean that as a compliment).

You should read his posts, Shuley. You'd LEARN something. God forbid THAT should happen, eh Shuley?

"the one I run to when I have a question about printing?" ....

have you lost your mind altogether? There's a Member on this Forum who REALLY knows printing. He's already explained very clearly and concisely, in layman's terms, so that even YOU can understand it, exactly how these books were printed.

If I'm not mistaken, he also said that the printing mechanism allowed for W I D E tolerances in size, even within the same print run of the same issue (if you weren't paying attention) meaning that: YOU CAN'T SIZE BOOKS TO DETERMINE TRIM BY HOLDING THEM TOGETHER AND NOTING THE SHORTER OF THE TWO TO BE TRIMMED.

Did you somehow MISS that part, Shuley? I imagine that when you discovered to your dismay, that there was a guy here that KNEW his stuff (remember the ONE question I asked you on here... a very basic one about printing, and you really couldn't answer it?), you quickly backed out of his posts after reading the first sentence, thinking to yourself something like: "Oh NO!!!! The real McCoy!! A REAL printer!!".

He also talked about how pages dry and shrinkage affects different books in different ways.

STILL, even with all of his logical and knowledgeable explanations, you continue to aver that you have this great power from beyond that enables you (JUST YOU) to determine trim, not only by measuring books, but from scans as well!!! You're amazing, Shuley (and I DON'T mean that as a compliment).

You should read his posts, Shuley. You'd LEARN something. God forbid THAT should happen, eh Shuley?

And I suppose this guy's member name is Hammer or is it Meth?

BTW, Paper dries becuase it is heatset,not cold set,then it runs throught the chills,Paper expands because it is pulling horazontally throught the press,there is nothing pulling it vertically,that is why bussle wheels or on some presses a small air line is used to pull the web in,so it can be registered.

Comics go through a trimmer,the edges are cut before is goes into a Stacker to be stacked,The trimmer is set to a certain size of the desired size of the book,You seem to like to do it manually 27_laughing.gif Comic companies give a job ticket to the comapny which the press operator gets,it lists the SIZE OF THE BOOK THEY WANT IT TO BE, ( 7 3/4 X 10,for example) how many colors,pages,any special instructions,paper size,poundage of paper, ect...But I suppose you knew all that already. if your so smart and I certainly don't seem to know my job,then tell me How do i put a Folder into Collect,and what happens to the book when it is in collect? or How do I set a metering roller? better yet what is the differance between Advance and Retarding a book? Better ask your printer friend for help

He's talking about that big thread where two guys who are pressmen, or printers, or whatever you guys are called, talked in very, very explicit detail about how comics are assembled. It was somewhere in the "Comics General" forum over the last month, but I just poked around and couldn't find the post.

He's talking about that big thread where two guys who are pressmen, or printers, or whatever you guys are called, talked in very, very explicit detail about how comics are assembled. It was somewhere in the "Comics General" forum over the last month, but I just poked around and couldn't find the post.

Your right,thier called pressman. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I blogged it, so I have the link handy. One of the best threads ever, IMHO, especially since it starts with "Compare these two scans, is one of them trimmed?" and ends with a printer who works with Sparta veterans stating explicitly that there would have been variation in books from the same print run because of any number of factors. The explanation of the "why" of overflash also blew my mind.

Trimmed? you decide...

HA! those mence to socity pre-press guys! DiceX works for the same company I do,Quebecor World. We don't print comics at our plant,We print Sunday inserts,Walmart,Pathmark,Lowes,Home Depot,AAA,ect.. Still all 4 color processing like comics,and we run with Deserters,Trimmers,crushers,glue,2 out.4 out,double folders and everything else that'll give you a headache. 893frustrated.gif kevin

Rob - I enjoyed your posts on your blog of the DD #1 & the evident shifting on the cover image & the inherent difficulties of measuring a cover for trimming - great stuff!

Dice - you da man!

Green Lantern 76 in high grade: Oooooh. Wish I had one! One of my all-time fave covers... and I'm a Marvel guy!

Rob - I enjoyed your posts on your blog of the DD #1 & the evident shifting on the cover image & the inherent difficulties of measuring a cover for trimming - great stuff!

Thanks! That was actually done for a thread in here where someone mentioned getting a ruler out: Speaking of ASM 11...Grade this. I thought it would be a good idea to duplicate the content on my blog, because there are obviously people who weren't going to see the thread.

I've missed most of the posts on this thread, then check it to see my name getting tossed around like a Twinkie at Anna Nicole's breakfast buffett.

hmmmm stooges.gif

For everyone to note, I've been talking to several of my buds from Sparta to get some very interesting info.

Some of the stuff in my earlier post was incorrect, and I will start a new thread with the scoop.

I will try to right the wrong I started in my earlier comments.

Keep an eye out for the post. I won't have time to do it until the weekend.

So Kevin, can I assume that in your opinion everyone else is wrong amd that it is your opinion that every comic of a particular issue, let's say Spiderman 50 for example, came off those presses at Sparta EXACTLY the same size and should measure identically to one another by direct comparison and by direct measurement with a ruler?

So Kevin, can I assume that in your opinion everyone else is wrong amd that it is your opinion that every comic of a particular issue, let's say Spiderman 50 for example, came off those presses at Sparta EXACTLY the same size and should measure identically to one another by direct comparison and by direct measurement with a ruler?

That's how it should be brother!,BUT sometimes books come out of the folder crooked and then goes into the trimmer,if you try and pull the crooked book out you could get your fingers chopped off,but if it's not bad or if the pressman has his back turned it'll get skidded and shipped and the comic collector will wonder why it's been "mis-cut"