• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

comic collector's society

25 posts in this topic

• Administrator

When you join the Collectors' Society with a paid account, you will get 10% off grading fees when you use the online submission forms to submit.

It is true that some of our online affiliates offer up to a 20% discount on grading services but if you submit through our online affiliates, you will not have access to functionality that is available to you only through a paid Collectors Society membership (i.e. online submission tracking and certification verification). Also, when you join the Collectors' Society with a paid membership you will receive a coupon for 3 free Express submissions with CGC.

• Administrator

Yes, you can still submit through the affiliates that offer a 20% discount. However, please be aware that those submissions would not be maintained under your Collectors' Society account and therefore you would not see them in online submission tracking thorugh Collectors' Society.

why doesn't CGC up the ante and give 20% off for this Collector's society as anyone can get up to that discount elsewhere through certified dealers.

They want you to support their dealers? confused-smiley-013.gif

why doesn't CGC up the ante and give 20% off for this Collector's society as anyone can get up to that discount elsewhere through certified dealers.

In what way and how much support can I give from Alaska...... confused-smiley-013.gif

In what way and how much support can I give from Alaska...... confused-smiley-013.gif

Start drilling for oil up there so gas prices come down and then we will have more dough to spend on comics!

poke2.gif

Start drilling for oil up there so gas prices come down and then we will have more dough to spend on comics!

poke2.gif

I agree, more drilling, natural gas pipeline and all should be moving forward ASAP.

Sadly it won't effect the prices of gas for many years to come even if ramped up now. I love the ads they show you folks in the lower 48 against development, skewed so everone in the lower 48 still thinks we live in igloos and that the northern tundra will be blanketed with oil and dead animals. T'aint true. Sorry this is definately sign-offtopic.gif p.s. I don't work for the oil industry and was born and raised up here. thumbsup2.gif

Back on track, I want 20% off through the collectors society......please. I promise to join. insane.gif

Me too, I dont want a fourth party in my third party grading. I do ALL the work anyway. I can understand that some people would need help with sending comics in. Initially, I tried a local affiliate and that required a massive hassle to send books in so I picked a submission affiliate with the 20% discount at random. But 20 % is big bucks. Very frustrating

Because they don't want to force dealers to offer 20%--they in effect don't want to be competition to the dealers. It's good business. Unfortunately, the "tracking" feature isn't worth 10%.

The tracking feature is important to me as I have submitted through Heritage at 20% and went nuts waiting to get my grades. The 10% is not enough for those of us who have paid for the Society membership. The three free coupons are not even graded as express, there is normally the 20 day business day wait that comes with it. With CGC still gaining momentum, I believe they could easily up the discount to 15% without hurting the other party sites or causing undue financial woes to themselves. The fact is you will still have folks using the other sites because they do not care about tracking their books and are looking for a quick sell anyhow. Every percentage point discount is a blessing, considering once you add shipping and insurance, sending off 30 books gets very pricey. I love the Society and love sharing my passion with others who feel the same way about their collections. I respect the dealers who get the high grade books I buy because I can't find them, they can have their 20%. My desire is that the Society membership show us a little respect and up the discount. Whew- all that without taking a breath!

Best regards,

Dudeman5000

sig.jpg

From my experience the tracking is cool, but you really don't get a leg up any quicker than through a dealer. How is that possible do you ask? I've always gotten my grades faster by calling...in fact I've gotten my grades 2 weeks before the Collector Society tracking system shows them...as they don't appear online until they go "Final" (aka shipped). As you know grading occurs before encapsulation, which is usually at the final two weeks for the process.

I've found that CGC can usually tell you the grades within the last two week estimation. In fact, they e-mail me the grades. The few times I've used the tracking system I haven't been able to see the grades until they are about at my door. (Hint to CGC: you can show more value for the tracking feature by showing the grades prior to encapsulation)

I also believe they should bump up the discount to 15%, although I do like the tracking system. I would not want to call in to check on my grades after 2 weeks like some over eager boy for Christmas.

It will not affect most dealers in my opinion. It will only affect those people who go to the CGC site and actually read what it says and are willing to pay the money to become members.

Most of the customers in my store have never visited the site or simply hand me the books and don't even ask any questions.

I finally bit the bullet and joined today.

I do however agree with all the people in this thread that 10% with tracking and 3 free submissions is really not that great of an incentive to join.

You would have many more people join if you gave more free submission coupons, like the coin and stamp people get, or more of a discount on future submissions.

And by the way. Where exactly is the link to submit books through the collectors society?

I have clicked everywhere I can think of. It must be well hidden or so much in plain site that I am missing it all together.

Check this out.

Where's my sub-navigation?

http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/cgc/cs_nonav.jpg

Ahh ... there it is

http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/cgc/cs_withnav.jpg

The key here is to make sure that the rather-invisible tab system in the top-left corner is on "comics" instead of "all" ... "all" is selected by default when you go there from the CGC website, and then it doesn't show the subnavigation.

It's just a bad UI, that's all.

Thanks a million.

I wonder who designed the web page.

They really need to go back to school and learn about the K I S S rule.

I spent over 20 min. of wasted time looking for what should be a very easy link to find.

• Administrator
Check this out.

Where's my sub-navigation?

http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/cgc/cs_nonav.jpg

Ahh ... there it is

http://www.cubancouncil.com/ms/cgc/cs_withnav.jpg

The key here is to make sure that the rather-invisible tab system in the top-left corner is on "comics" instead of "all" ... "all" is selected by default when you go there from the CGC website, and then it doesn't show the subnavigation.

It's just a bad UI, that's all.

When you log in, based on your collecting preference you should automatically be on the appropriate tab. It looks like a feature we added for the system remember returning visitors isn't interacting well with people who are returning to the main URL or a bookmark.

The desired behavior is that you show up and are generally at the tab you should be on without having to think about it. The reason the tabs aren't a front-and-center focus is that for the most part that bit of navigation should be handled for you.

We'll check it out. Should be an easy tweak to get back to the system behavior we want.