• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some strong, aggressive prices for Neal Adams Batman covers/issues....

45 posts in this topic

Happened to be tracking this issue and was dumbfounded by the final price. Neal Adams Batman issues are garnering some great prices with the comparative lower CGC census #s in relation to Marvel's of this period. Have to love those covers thumbsup2.gif

Not a bad price at all, quite encouraging. The profile does look like an early submissions profile, but at the same time, this being a Adams issue, there should be little or no hesitation for people to be submitting this book.

I still think that's a very high price for a non-key, non-classic cover, although it is top census.

Andy, after looking a little closer, Isee it was just 2 guys pushing it up past the $140 mark.

Top census? I saw 4 9.4's, and 2 9.6's on this book.

I still think that's a very high price for a non-key, non-classic cover, although it is top census.

Andy, after looking a little closer, Isee it was just 2 guys pushing it up past the $140 mark.

Oops. I must've misread the auction blurb. foreheadslap.gif

That kind of proves my point - the high price could be an anomaly due to a bidding war. Still a nice book, of course...

Oops. I must've misread the auction blurb. foreheadslap.gif

That kind of proves my point - the high price could be an anomaly due to a bidding war. Still a nice book, of course...

Pretty common occurance, I just need it to happen a few more times for books I'm selling tongue.gif

Happened to be tracking this issue and was dumbfounded by the final price. Neal Adams Batman issues are garnering some great prices with the comparative lower CGC census #s in relation to Marvel's of this period. Have to love those covers thumbsup2.gif

Batman #217 CGC 9.2 Adams cover

217 was the last silver age Batman issue. gossip.gif

With the much lower CGC census #s, would this not result in more frequent bidding wars among Adams/Batman collectors?? Also, extra marketing on the auction listing definitely assisted the price 893blahblah.gif

With the much lower CGC census #s, would this not result in more frequent bidding wars among Adams/Batman collectors??

Depends on the grade, and the book. Tec 400, 402 and 404 you'd expect to go for big money, because they're acknowledged, in-demand classics with great Adams covers and interiors which are scarce in 9.2 and up. Although there aren't many on the census, I wouldn't have thought a 9.2 of a BA Batman issue with a nondescript non-key Adams cover would've generated such a price, as most BA collectors would wait for a 9.4 or 9.6.

Also, extra marketing on the auction listing definitely assisted the price 893blahblah.gif

Perhaps. I've found that beyond making the book a featured item, that the blurb, no matter how florid, doesn't make that much difference if there's a decent scan and the seller's got good feedback. Ewert, for example, never bothered with any hype at all in his descriptions (apart from the title), and his books always went for top prices. Same with SNE, Lauterbach, etc....

I've found that beyond making the book a featured item, that the blurb, no matter how florid, doesn't make that much difference if there's a decent scan and the seller's got good feedback. Ewert, for example, never bothered with any hype at all in his descriptions (apart from the title), and his books always went for top prices. Same with SNE, Lauterbach, etc....

Top books (perceived -JE) do have a habit of pretty much selling themselves. Though these guys could of taken the bait from a second tier book that simply doesn't pop up for sale that often.

A case of 'I haven't seem that before' is always great for auction results.

The Batman 217 is als the start of the "new direction" for Batman, minus Robin. I think the story tied in with Detective 393. I know it is not a classic cover, but it is a beauty. And not a lot of high grades floating around.

I agree, it's a great story (that also appeared in similar form at the same time in the Batman newspaper strips). It really was the beginning of the classic BA Batman that IMO remains the benchmark era. The irony (as if I need to say it) is that you gotta crack the slab to read it or have a reader copy to hand...

The Batman 217 is als the start of the "new direction" for Batman, minus Robin. I think the story tied in with Detective 393. I know it is not a classic cover, but it is a beauty. And not a lot of high grades floating around.

I agree, it's a great story (that also appeared in similar form at the same time in the Batman newspaper strips). It really was the beginning of the classic BA Batman that IMO remains the benchmark era. The irony (as if I need to say it) is that you gotta crack the slab to read it or have a reader copy to hand...

Almost makes me want to get into BA Batman's... juggle.gif

And ya the irony is not lost...can't see the guy cracking top dollar slab though. Reader's are definitly the sane choice. thumbsup2.gif