• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some strong, aggressive prices for Neal Adams Batman covers/issues....

45 posts in this topic

I just sold my slabbed 8.5 copy

frustrated.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd love to find a 8.5-9.0 copy. This was one of my favorites growing up.

I had it up in one of my BIN threads with no takers. sorry.gif

Here it is.

137f.jpg

I still think that's a very high price for a non-key, non-classic cover, although it is top census.

Though a Marvel collector, I remember buying #217 when I was a kid.

It was the cover that sold me.

I'd be interested in knowing from Batman collectors as to what makes a cover a classic Batman cover. When I was young, closing up the batcave certainly captured my interest. Thanks.

I just sold my slabbed 8.5 copy

frustrated.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd love to find a 8.5-9.0 copy. This was one of my favorites growing up.

I had it up in one of my BIN threads with no takers. sorry.gif

Here it is.

137f.jpg

This one now resides in my collection. cloud9.gif

-Chris

I love Adams' Batmans so much, but to buy them in the grade that I want to, is less funds I'll have for Golden Age Batmans. What to do?!

I have the Batman Illustrated volumes 2 & 3 (both personally autographed to me at last year's Comicon and this year's). If I ever see a #227 in CGC 9.0 or more, I'm buying it.

I just sprung for a 'tec 400 in 9.2 a while back and I'd be hard pressed to think of anything I'd rather have.It would probably be one of the last books I'd ever sell.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Feel the same about those Adams issues. I just picked up a Detective #402 CGC 9.2 and can't see myself selling it as so few of them ever come up for sale in that grade or better. And when they do, you are fighting with other Batman/Adams fans so the pricing gets crazy pretty quick. I was just kinda floored by the Bats #217 price as I had placed a snipe of $150.00 thinking I had a great shot at winning. Silly me crazy.gif

That 'tec 402 is one that I'm seriously considering.Also the 404.That 1970 Adams stuff is kind of tough.And so many have the dark covers that show no mercy to us high grade freeks.Those late 60's Adams Spectres are so well drawn for the lower prices that they seem to fetch.I wonder if that segment of the Adams market will ever heat up.I notice that the Adams X-men issues seem to be a little more common than I once thought,but that may be a result of the Marvel hoarding that went on.I'm certainly not seeing this with the 1970 DC stuff and the prices have definitely been aggressive enough to flush some copies out of the woodwork,if they are even there to begin with.I still hope to add a sharp X-men 58 and 59 to my collection if I can find the right 9.4(perfect centering,white,etc.) at the right price.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Honestly, I never cared for that cover either. Obviously with that book, you get adams contents as well so its an apples-and-oranges comparison, but I always thought the perspective and linework on the Joker part of the cover to be subpar. I do like the batman image and the cityscape but the dominant part of the composition, the Joker, is the weakest part of the cover.

Frankly I consider this to be a below average adams cover confused-smiley-013.gif . I know some will disagree but frankly I think that's either because a) they aren't familiar enough with the rest of his covers or b) they are giving this one a pass because it's a batman book / semi key issue.

Happened to be tracking this issue and was dumbfounded by the final price. Neal Adams Batman issues are garnering some great prices with the comparative lower CGC census #s in relation to Marvel's of this period. And great covers to boot thumbsup2.gif

Batman #217 CGC 9.2 Adams cover

I was very happy with the prices........... thumbsup2.gif

Sure did. Was only able to make it on Friday for a few hours but was still fortunate to pick up this Adams wraparound 100 pager:

dc100.jpg

I'd offer you this Detective #402 for sale but it's only a CGC 8.5 frown.gif It's my old copy before I upgraded.

tec402.jpg