• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mouse Guard

16 posts in this topic

Hello all!

Does anyone have these books or any information about them? I just happened upon an ebay auction and was a bit taken back by the prices first prints are reaching. Personally, I've never even heard of the series before...

Basically, what is it about, and where does all of this hype come from???

confused-smiley-013.gif

I enjoy it. I loved the art so much that I decided to give it a try when it hit the racks.

It may not be what you are looking for though. Sounds like we have a lot of the same tastes in a solid read. This is more in the vein of Herobear or other slightly campy stuff. Not too ashamed to admit that I don't mind those stories.

Pat

Tough to find, really low numbers were ordered. Its a decent read, my wife enjooyed it more then me.

hi.gif So, what is it actually about?

a mouse who guards? confused-smiley-013.gif

I enjoy it. I loved the art so much that I decided to give it a try when it hit the racks.

It may not be what you are looking for though. Sounds like we have a lot of the same tastes in a solid read. This is more in the vein of Herobear or other slightly campy stuff. Not too ashamed to admit that I don't mind those stories.

Pat

Hi Pat hi.gif

I researched it a little more over the last hour, and It actually sounds pretty cool, and I've heard GREAT things about the art. It just really sounds like something my wife would like as well....I guess to some extent, we both enjoy slightly campy stuff.

It appears that issues #2 and #3 are fairly available (and, for the most part, cheap). Does anyone have any affordable extra copies of #1? They don't have to be first print, I just want to read them and share them with my wife.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any extras thumbsup2.gif

Well, my LCS had later printings of the first two issues, so I picked them up today. I'm going to try to read them while at work this afternoon( devil.gif), so I'll let you all know what I think thumbsup2.gif

When I saw it I didnt buy it because it looked like a childrens book foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, upon first glance, it DEFINATELY looks like a childrens book, so I can see where you'd figure that

Well, my LCS had later printings of the first two issues, so I picked them up today. I'm going to try to read them while at work this afternoon( devil.gif), so I'll let you all know what I think thumbsup2.gif

Work was slow (as I expected), so I got to catch up on some comics this afternoon (Girls #15, Y:The Last Man #48, Walking Dead #29, and Mouse Guard #1 and #2).

I must say, I really enjoyed these two Mouse Guard books. Although they are a very fast read, the art is top notch and the story/concept is unique and very intelligently done! I'm really glad I picked these up, and I know my wife will love reading them later on tonight. I'm going to run back to my LCS tomorrow and pick up #3 and #4 thumbsup2.gif

I know this is only supposed to run for 6 issues, does anyone know if there are plans for an additonal mini-series after this one ends?

I usually wait until all the issues of a mini comes out before I read it, and my fiance and I read books that she might like together. Its been real hard to keep her from the Mouse Guards. She squeals "MOUSE GUARD!!!" as she is overcome by the cute whenever I bring an issue home.

I must say, I really enjoyed these two Mouse Guard books. Although they are a very fast read, the art is top notch and the story/concept is unique and very intelligently done! I'm really glad I picked these up, and I know my wife will love reading them later on tonight. I'm going to run back to my LCS tomorrow and pick up #3 and #4 thumbsup2.gif

I understand it is a good story, but is it really unique? Seems the Redwall books have been out for years... confused-smiley-013.gif

I understand it is a good story, but is it really unique? Seems the Redwall books have been out for years... confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, I'm not all that familiar with the Redwall books, but they're not really "comic books" are they? I'm pretty sure they're marketed as "children's books" essentially. I could be very wrong. Either way, I found Mouse Guard to be unique because I've never read anything else similiar (Redwall books included). It doesn't mean there aren't similiar ideas/book out there....

Well, I'm not all that familiar with the Redwall books, but they're not really "comic books" are they? I'm pretty sure they're marketed as "children's books" essentially. I could be very wrong. Either way, I found Mouse Guard to be unique because I've never read anything else similiar (Redwall books included). It doesn't mean there aren't similiar ideas/book out there....

You didn't say "comic books", you said "story/concept". Redwall books are aimed at the Young Adult segment, and have proven enormously popular:

Redwall linky

And you could go even further back and reference Watership Down (a true classic). thumbsup2.gif

But I know where you are coming from. You say Mouse Guard is a unique take on a tried and true theme. smile.gif