• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who wants to be the next Comic Artist Legend?

20 posts in this topic

Not sure if this topic has been discussed. There seems to be a lot great young talent out there right now but who will be the next superstar. It seems that we have not had a great standout where you could say from the start this artist would be a legend. I remember when people knew right away from the start that McFarlane, Jim Lee, and Alex Ross would be great. There was a time when if you drew the X-Men you would be the next hot artist.

There seems to be a lot great young talent out there right now but who will be the next superstar.

Do you have a list of the what you feel is the great young talent out there now? (Are you talking the last 5 years? Last 2 years?) Because I would love to find a Modern artist that can draw. Cassady is good, but his Planetary is better than his X-Men. During the DC Crisis I saw Ivan Reis I believe his name is. Liked his stuff. I'm liking Ethan Van Scriver, but he's not really new. I was buying Cyberfrog off the rack years ago. But I agree, no newcomer has just shown up lately and kicked the comic world's azz.

And please, no Michael Turners and no psuedo-Manga. Ugh.

There are lot of great talent right now. The average comic book's art is better than it has ever been. Artists I think that putting out nice work are Phil Jimenez (his Infinite Crisis stuff was impressive as a possible sucessor to Perez). I like Bryan Hitch and Van Sciver also. I think you also need a big event or mainstream title to really make a name for yourself. I remember like over 10 years ago I saw Darick Robertson work on New Warriors and thought this kid has talent so I got a sketch (he was charging $10 at the time). I don't follow Michael Turner's work much but he seems to be putting out covers like there is no tomorrow a la Gil Kane.

The Eisner Award for best comic cover artist handed out at San Diego comic-con was won by James Jean of DCs Fables fame 3 years in a row: 2004, 2005, 2006. He beat out Alex Ross, Mike Mayhew, Jim Lee, Brian Bolland, etc.

Not sure how good his interior page work is or if he can maintain a monthly schedule.

The Eisner Award for best comic cover artist handed out at San Diego comic-con was won by James Jean of DCs Fables fame 3 years in a row: 2004, 2005, 2006. He beat out Alex Ross, Mike Mayhew, Jim Lee, Brian Bolland, etc.

Not sure how good his interior page work is or if he can maintain a monthly schedule.

Looking at his website he's a real-deal working "Illustrator", as well as a comic book artist.

http://www.jamesjean.com/

fables54_2.jpg

And check out this Illo for a "Men's Health" magazine article. Mercy. blush.gif

sex.jpg

Gonna give props to the guy working on Moon Knight right now, David Finch.

Here's the list from Wizard Though

J. Cassady - Ast. X-men

Jim Lee

Alex Ross

Frank Quitely - All-start Supes

Bryan Hitch - Ultimates 2

David Finch - Moon Knight

Michael Turner

Humberto Ramos - Wolverine

Tony Daniel (no 's') - Teen Titans

Obviously all aren't "noobs"

Hmm, I think the Eisner Awards must be like the Academy Awards in that they award the prize to the most popular.

What Academy Awards have you been watching? I doubt the total BO of all the movies nominated last year equalled as much as POTC2 has made so far.

I like his stuff,and I don't really like alot of artists style these days.I don't care for Michael Turner and 99% of the image stuff,even Benes doesn't exactly get me excited either. I like the usual guys that have been around,I don't look at artists' storytelling skills or pacing or design or anything like that cause if thier a pro,then they have to be good at it,some do better than others, but when choosing a favorite artist, I look at line work first and see if I like thier style or not.

I'll second Eric Powell. He's not just a great comics artist or writer, he's a great comics creator. The guy's talent reminds me of a young Frank Miller. THE GOON is right at the top of my current favorites and even rates favorably in my all-time best list. He definitely deserves wider recognition.