• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Under-Achieving Character of the Bronze Age

113 posts in this topic

how about Jack of Hearts? Very cool in the IM series.

Yeah, that's another good one. I had all those IM issues.

I never really got into him with those Iron Man issues, but I can still remember reading his fight with the Hulk. I think when I came to this part, with the monster punch, my jaw hit the floor. 893whatthe.gif

1340010-jack_hearts.jpg

1340010-jack_hearts.jpg.0814e4577a23f426fa6663b73c1f6e7d.jpg

Wonderman was my second thought but he was a silver age character , correct me if I am wrong . Avengers 9 ??? reintroduced in early 70's i believe but he is a silver age character I believe.

I am going

Nova

Human Fly

Scarlet Spider 893whatthe.gif

Wonderman was my second thought but he was a silver age character , correct me if I am wrong . Avengers 9 ??? reintroduced in early 70's i believe but he is a silver age character I believe.

I am going

Nova

Human Fly

I guess I would consider Wonderman a bronze age character, since that is essentially where he was developed.

But the Scarlet Spider would be a copper age character. Potential sure, but that's a whole can of worms for another forum. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Kull

I would definitely agree with Kull. I thought the writing and art were strong throughout the series.

I agree with the others that have said Nova. I really liked the series even though sometimes Richard Ryder was a bit too Peter Parker-ish for my tastes.

Kull

I would definitely agree with Kull. I thought the writing and art were strong throughout the series.

I agree with the others that have said Nova. I really liked the series even though sometimes Richard Ryder was a bit too Peter Parker-ish for my tastes.

RR's name even has the same "feel" as PPs. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Kull

RR's name even has the same "feel" as PPs. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No question that Nova was modeled on Spidey, but in general RR was a little bit less of a wuss than PP (which isn't saying much).

I would have to agree with Nova. Another character I think is undervalued even after his Avengers appearances is Wonder Man.

Wonder Man would be my second choice as well, and I can remember consistently buying The Avengers after Wondy came back, just because he was so interesting. It was neat that he just appeared on day, no one knew why or how, and he kind of had to figure it out as he went along.

Then Marvel took him in that stupid "I want to be a movie star" angle, and totally ruined the character.

The first character I thought of was Jack of Hearts.

With numerous appearences for a time in Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu magazine, Iron Man, Hulk, MTIO. and even a Marvel Premiere one-shot he always seemed to me to being "groomed" for success.

I think he was legitimately popular during that time then seemed to just peter out.

My guess is artists just didn't want to draw that costume any more!!

I am going

Nova

Human Fly

Agreed he came out in Avengers #9 but he also "died" in that issue. His character was not really re-introduced until the bronze age. I would consider him born with a "silver" spoon but raised in the "bronze" age. grin.gif