• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Under-Achieving Character of the Bronze Age

113 posts in this topic

The Bronze Age offered a tremendous amount of original and new characters that made an impact. But there were several that were just plain duds. I know Mind Worm is JC's favorite, but what character had potential that just never lived up to it. Since I'm primarily a Spider-Man guy, I will throw out Will-O'-the-Wisp. Controlled by the evil Dr. Jonas Harrow, this anti-hero crossed paths with Spider-Man a few times in his initial appearance in ASM 168, 169. Reading the book as a young lad, I felt for this noble character who eventually gave his life at the end of ASM 169, instead of taking Spideys. Even at the time, I knew he would be back. I thought he was a good match for Spider-Man and a character that could be developed. His origin was told a few years later and had all the ingredients to make a sympathetic character. But he never really caught on.

So, that's my nomination. What character do you feel never reached his potential and why?

AmazingSpider-Man168-copy.jpg

Nova is a great choice, as Marvel patterned him after Spider-man and really made all the right moves with him early on.

They set up a workable rogue's gallery, with one kick-hass main baddy The Sphinx, and slowly outlined Nova's powers, then guest-starred him with heroes like Thor and Spidey, to give readers an idea of his place in the MU. Many of the stories also revolved around school, and gave kid readers some grounding. Sal Buscema was his usual servicable self, and provided more than adequate art.

Then around issue #15 it all fell through, and he got involved with Nick Fury and the Yellow Claw, Carmine Infantino took over the pencils, the existing arcs were dropped, etc.. That was a terrible storyline with horrible art and basically sunk the book - later on they moved Nova to outer space, further dooming the book to cancellation with issue #25.

If Marvel took a different route with Nova 15, and kept to the original strategy of the existing rogue's gallery and a continuation of the current storylines, instead of adding Infantino and going off on some insipid SHIELD Agent: Nova story, then things might have been different, and Nova likely would have run 100+ issues similar to MOKF or PM/IF.

If Marvel took a different route with Nova 15, and kept to the original strategy of the existing rogue's gallery and a continuation of the current storylines, instead of adding Infantino and going off on some insipid SHIELD Agent: Nova story, then things might have been different, and Nova likely would have run 100+ issues similar to MOKF or PM/IF.

I loved the first issues as well and agree that the Infantino art really took a lot out of the book. Nova just didn't look right. The rogue's gallery was excellent as well. Nova is high on my list of lost potential as well.

No comment on my Mind Worm dig? poke2.gif

I am still a huge fan of nova. got the entire 25 book series. and yes it was great read until mid way through.. Issue 15 sounds good..

Then I heard he was coming back. But took one look at the new warriors and thought 'what did they do to Nova' . Dude should be in the Avengers. Always thought a great team would be Nova, Spiderman and Human Torch.

Another interesting character was Human Fly. Was a decent read but got stupid. he was similar to Daredevil.

i dunno, i thought the Black Condor was prolly the goofiest lame villian ever...

did he do anything besides slap people around, wear gloves and fly?

Nova is a great choice, as Marvel patterned him after Spider-man and really made all the right moves with him early on.

They set up a workable rogue's gallery, with one kick-hass main baddy The Sphinx, and slowly outlined Nova's powers, then guest-starred him with heroes like Thor and Spidey, to give readers an idea of his place in the MU. Many of the stories also revolved around school, and gave kid readers some grounding. Sal Buscema was his usual servicable self, and provided more than adequate art.

Then around issue #15 it all fell through, and he got involved with Nick Fury and the Yellow Claw, Carmine Infantino took over the pencils, the existing arcs were dropped, etc.. That was a terrible storyline with horrible art and basically sunk the book - later on they moved Nova to outer space, further dooming the book to cancellation with issue #25.

WOW, YOU KNOW YOUR [embarrassing lack of self control]!

Nick Fury

Granted Steranko probably gave the Marvel editors fits, to say nothing of the distribution nightmare, but I still think a quasi Jack Ryan storyline is a no brainer for entertainment. Throw in Captain America every now and then, tone down the Dr Evil types, and up the death count (making it serious of course) and you have an instant classic

Ed