• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Under-Achieving Character of the Bronze Age

113 posts in this topic

I'm gonna come out against the Human Fly.

I never liked the character, and thought the entire concept was just plain stupid. I could never believe this "normal guy" could suddenly start leaping around like Spider-man, and actually make a go of it as a super-hero. Other than steel bones, he had no other schtick to make it believable.

And that whole "reporter trying to unearth his secret identity" thing go old after 2-3 issues, and this series also plays up one of my major beefs with comics:

Why must it always be a "crippled, never-walk-again, eats-through-a-straw" set of damaged goods that gets these "experiments" done to them, and thereby remade into a superhuman powerhouse?

I can name dozens of similar "oh, he's about to die, let's give him the super-strength serum and attach this exo-skeleton to his withered frame" characters, and you'd think, just once, these guys would start out with a healthy, athletic subject, and really make use of the "super powers".

yeah that's why I put the question mark . He is gone.

Nova

Wonderman

I'm leaving Human Fly in my post. The thread title is under-achieving character, and he was very under-achieving. Perhaps not to the Nova extreme but non the less.

As this thread has progressed the majority thinks Nova is near the top, while Wonderman, Human Fly, Jack of Hearts and Kull get runner up status.

I'm still the only one that thinks Red Wolf should be on the radar. 27_laughing.gif

let me add a few more broze age names just for discussion.

Ms .Marvel (4U Joe)

Spiderwoman

Deathlock

Black Panther (silver ?)

Morbius

Luke Cage

Iron Fist

Also what is Wondermans first app bronze age? Marvel Preimere 55 ?

i love how most of our BA conversations are nearly 100% Marvel-centric. it's a nice anecdotal piece of evidence at just how much they dominated during the 70s.

my list;

Nova

Omega

Quasar - boy how they tried, they did try. Marvel Boy? :barf:

Guardians of the Galaxy - they could have been amazing if used correctly

Tyroc - my sole DC character. basically limitless potential since it seemed he could do something different with his power in each of his four or so appearances. plus any dude with chains incorporated in his costume has to be worth something

"Tyroc was a late era Blaxploitation character, with a seventies style afro, and a high collared skin-tight white costume with a plunging neckline secured by metal chains, all this topped off with elf boots."

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I will second that Guardians of the Galaxy, althought they too, really benefited from joining the actual Marvel Universe.

I never liked their own title, but I loved their appearances in MTIO, Defenders and Thor.

"Tyroc was a late era Blaxploitation character, with a seventies style afro, and a high collared skin-tight white costume with a plunging neckline secured by metal chains, all this topped off with elf boots."

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

yeah, it's a pretty ridiculous costume to go with a pretty ridiculous character. DC had a stranglehold on the elf boot costumes back in the day

let me add a few more broze age names just for discussion.

Ms .Marvel (4U Joe)

Spiderwoman

Deathlock

Black Panther (silver ?)

Morbius

Luke Cage

Iron Fist

Also what is Wondermans first app bronze age? Marvel Preimere 55 ?

I think Marvel got about all they could out of Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Black Panther definitely Silver in my book.

Don't think I ever read a Deathlock story, so no comments.

Morbuis, I almost feel he was an over-achiever, especially for a vampire. Not that there's any thing wrong with that. He had his own book for awhile and seemed to always be in PPSS. For a vampire, I thought he held his own.

I forgot Moonknight.
How could I forget. Yes. foreheadslap.gif

The only time I really started to like Moon Knight was when it appeared he would join the West Coast Avengers. But didn't happen. confused-smiley-013.gif

I remember seeing an image of Moonknight shoving Batman out of the way. It was in some sort of trade magazine that was predicting that Moon Knight would be the next Big thing. This must have been late 70's.

Wish I remembered where I saw it. Would be a good laugh now.

Avengers 152? confused-smiley-013.gif

Not counting all those "hidden in the shadows" ones from the Grim Reaper stories.

Or the reanimated Wonderman in the Kang stories.

I know he was part of the story line in Avengers 102 (appears on the cover). Anyone else know of any other appearances?

Not counting all those "hidden in the shadows" ones from the Grim Reaper stories.

I know he was part of the story line in Avengers 102 (appears on the cover). Anyone else know of any other appearances?

05815547774.131.GIF

Who's the guy in the black cape on the left side?

05815547774.131.GIF

Thanks, what a great cover.