• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan movie?

13 posts in this topic

On hold waiting for the box office reaction to T3.

I think John Milius has finished his King Conan draft and is ready to direct, and the Wachowski Brothers are all set to produce it. Warner Bros. is the studio that will be making it. If Arnold can prove to be a box office success this thing will go into production faster than you can say "Crom!"

If not, then it will be a tough matter convincing the studio to go ahead with it. They might have to retool it for another star... (The Rock maybe?)

Kev

I know it's not likely to happen but a Conan of the Isles or even Hour of the Dragon (King Conan of Aquilonia era) story featuring the older Conan would potentially be awesome.

I recently read a news story on USAtoday that hinted Arnold was interested in running for Gov. of California

dave h

Does anyone know what the status is with the third Conan movie? Is it still on/off/in limbo?

Thanks,

Peter

tough to round up cast from first 2... Mako is doing typecast Asian roles...james earl jones doing bell atlantic commercials, arnold is running for governor, grace jones = ???; olivia d'abo??? also got old...arnold's old workout buddies? they're all probably dead from roid use...jesse ventura who had a cameo in every 80's arnold flick is already govnuh...

If Arnold can prove to be a box office success this thing will go into production faster than you can say "Crom!"

Is Arnie's box office appeal really the only thing stopping this film? I was under the impression that he was considering movie retirement after T3 and going into politics.

I really think some new blood is needed for Conan, too much time has passed since the last movie, a new direction/lead actor would be a good thing IMO.

Is Arnie's box office appeal really the only thing stopping this film? I was under the impression that he was considering movie retirement after T3 and going into politics.

It Was the only thing stopping it...

The Milius King Conan -script has been in the can for a while now, and the Wachowski brothers have been busy with Matrix sequels, but King Conan is the film that they want to make, Milius is set to direct, and they want to make it with Arnold (who WAS interested) to maintain some continuity with Milius' first Conan film.

Since the budget will be pretty high for the movie that they want to make (think Gladiator with an older Conan moving up the ladder from soldier to King). With Arnie on board budget will be in the 100 million+ range.... which requires a serious studio commitment and some guarantee that the film will perform better than $150 million at the box office.

T3 is Arnold's current 150+ million dollar film, and considering he hasn't had a decent box office hit since Batman Forever (which had more to do with Batman than Arnold - and sucked royally). End of Days, Sixth Day, etc. have all been box office duds. Terminator was a bankable franchise before... if Arnold can rule the July 3rd weekend then the studio will be willing to back him in another franchise revival.

If T3 is a dud or Arnie does decide to be a politician, then the concept will go back to development hell. King Conan will be dumped and you might see a new young Conan movie similar to the Rock's Scorpion King.

Kev

I think T3 will be fine (like Batman Forever) due to it's status as a successful franchise. Arnold, though, isn't the drawing card he once was, and probably can't guarantee the success of a Conan movie.

Arnold, though, isn't the drawing card he once was, and probably can't guarantee the success of a Conan movie.

Thts just what I was thinking, it in fact could have the reverse effect.

I like Kev's idea of Arnie as the older wiser figure in the background with some new blood as a young Conan...The worst thing the movie makers could do IMHO is to have Arnie try to run around doing what he did in the first two films.

Arnold was just on Bob Costas' TV show, he says that there's a huge push to get him back on a new Conan movie and that the ppl who decided to make that one PG-13 are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. Other then that he still looks like he could kick just about anyones [!@#%^&^]..

Brian

The one big positive about Arnie is that his face fits the role. The Rock just doesn't fit my image of Conan.

Maybe he could be "Son of Conan" then?

I'd really like to see Arnold do another Conan film. King Conan would fit perfectly considering his age. I hope it happens......

And even though it was a flop, I quite enjoyed "End of Days". Probably his best film in years. The Sixth Day on the other hand was pure [!@#%^&^].....

Jim

I agree with the King Conan idea. It would make great sense given Arnie's age and history with the character. I also think it would definitely help open some interesting storylines.